1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Photographing Burlesque Low Light With Lumix GH2 at 800 Iso

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by StudioHeraBell, Mar 13, 2011.

1. I put my Panasonic Lumix Gh2 on test last night. I photographed a low light stage show at 800 ISO with 14mm-140mm Lumix lens.

The ISO at 800 un-edited out of the camera as is.

[​IMG]

After Noise Ninja plug-in.

[​IMG]

And finally how I see this image processed. I wanted to give a caroonistic Pin-up feel to it.

[​IMG]

To see and read more please visit my Blog. Warning, there is nudity.

My Photo Ramblings: Montreal's Le Grand Burlesque Show March 2011

• Like Like x 7
  2. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Very cool PP! Great blog too!

3. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    Once again, an excellent final result !
    Thanks for showing what PP can do :biggrin:

C U,
    Rafael

4. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    That is very noisy for ISO 800. I thought the GH2 would be better. Even the processed one just looks over processed. Even a Nikon 3100 would do much better even at 1600. One of the reasons I live in both the M4/3 world as well as the DSLR world.

5. soundimageplus

soundimageplus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    It is!! Some underexposure here?

6. compositor20

compositor20 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 21, 2010
    this must be 1

7. compositor20

compositor20 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 21, 2010
    this probably is 1600 crops and even though they are very noisy! my e-pl1 at 1600 is more or less like this and it doesnt have banding!

i thaught gh-2 had get rid of banding but it looks it hasnt

8. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    I realize that this kind of noise shows up in the blue channel and there is a lot of blue too but this pretty bad. I'd be interested in seeing more samples at high ISO.

9. soundimageplus

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    GH2

This is my GH2 from ISO 1600 to 12,800 in bad light. One spotlight in the room.

Soundimageplus: Panasonic GH2 - Part 1 First Impressions

About halfway down the post click on the picture below and it will take you to a large file on flickr.

Attached Files:

10. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    Your 1600 looks better than the aforementioned 800 but it's hard to tell much in the flickr examples some looks like jpeg compression too. What ISO are you comfortable shooting to?

11. JohnMetsn

JohnMetsn Mu-43 Veteran

Something had to go horribly wrong. I'm shooting quite commonly at ISO800 with GF1 and it's pretty usable. In fact I quite like the mood those pictures get. Even ISO1600 is still fine. And GH2 should be much better in high ISO.

ISO800

[​IMG]

ISO1600

[​IMG]

12. soundimageplus

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    Personally I rarely shoot over base ISO, but I've gone to ISO 1600 with a GH1 at weddings. The GH2 is OK to ISO 3200 with a noise reduction programme.

It does actually produce decent sharp results even with the noise. I prefer the results to a Canon 7D for example which obliterates a lot of detail in attempting to get rid of the noise. With a sharper file, which the Panasonic produces, there's a lot more opportunity to use a noise reduction programme while still retaining decent detail.

Its not a high ISO machine and if you are shooting in low light a lot its not the camera to get, however JohnMetsn's pictures show just what can be done at ISO 800 with the 20mm lens, nice pictures by the way.

I've always felt the key to getting good high ISO results from any camera is to never underexpose, even by a very small amount. The moment you try to lift shadow areas, noise appears. As in Johns pictures keep the blacks black and think about what you want to be properly exposed. As he has shown you then get lovely "clean" images. Too often people just accept the meter reading and blast away.

• Like Like x 1
  13. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    I try to keep ISO as low as possible and rarely go over 400 with M4/3. But I should do some real life tests. John's high ISOs look much better. I wonder if there was anything else odd in Studio Hera Bell's images, I wonder if it was blue light lighting the scene?