1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

photographing air shows - some quick tips for legacy lens users

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by pellicle, Oct 25, 2014.

1. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    • Like Like x 7
  2. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    Very nice trick! Thanks for posting mate!

3. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Thanks...

1. What is your Rubber Band technique?

2. The link to the DoF calculator seems to be missing.

Thanks!
    Barry

4. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    Hi

Ahh ... had intended a video but got busy.

Simply I get a wide rubber band that is a tight fit around the lens barrel where the focusing grip is. I place it so as to be partially on the focusing ring and partially on the lens barrel.

This acts to almost lock the focus, but some force will move it through the friction to allow refocus if needed.

I also hold the lens gripping that rubber band while waiting between shots, and gripping that serves to lock in focus more firmly to prevent handling created refocus mistakes.

I didn't have a link to the DoF calculator, but to the DoF tutorial at Cambridge in Colour.

That seems to be working, but if you aren't seeing it its
    http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/depth-of-field.htm

The image I pasted is a screen shot of a DoF calculator I saved years ago. If you are asking for a link to that I'll see of I can dig it out of the pile dug up by Google.

PS: I found it in the metadata of the saved page. I've updated the blog post to include it and here is a link to it directly
    http://www.tawbaware.com/maxlyons/calc.htm

its one of the best and I'm glad its still around

:)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Hazza

Hazza Just Clicking

Aug 10, 2013
    Huddersfield UK
    Harry
    Very nice blog and info. My lad has moved to the Gold Coast recently from UK and is trying to get a sponsored visa via a job but it is proving more difficult than he thought, anyway, he was at the event as well and has posted some pictures on his facebook page. I prefer all the nice female models that he shot but lets not get into that here. ;)

Harry

• Like Like x 1
  6. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    I was shooting the Blue Angels in Honolulu recently. It was a somewhat cloudy day and in the afternoon, so the contrast wasn't great. My EM1 and Pana Lumix 45-200 combination had a hard time focusing. It did a lot of hunting on SAF. I thought the camera would have been better able to handle it. I ended up shooting on MF. Since I was near show center, though, the aircraft were moving fast near and far. Tough situation for MF. Tried to pre-focus. Wish I'd thought out and tested a better strategy before I went, but got a few decent shots. Anybody got a solution to the AF issue?

7. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    my strategy would be the prefocus. I'd also use manual exposure so I could be sure of consistency and not get the aircraft as black blobs due to the sky being bright (which it is when overcast)

14993988983_1e68432aa4_z.

also, you may be surprised how good the hyperfocal distance is for that "near and far stuff" ... near is often not as near as you'd think. The shot at the top was when these guys did a climb for a loop directly infront of me. I thought they were right there, but clearly they were still 200meters or more away.

If it is you just prefocus on something you are sure of (like say the air control tower) and "bang" as they go past I'm sure you'll get hits. You know people were photographing air show long before there was AF

PS: using that above calculator, it shows that f5.6 (the wide open setting of the 45-200 anyway) will be sharp from 130M to infinity if you prefocus on 300M away. Unless its choppers you ain't going to be closer than 100meters...