1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Photographic Alzheimers

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by MajorMagee, Dec 9, 2013.

1. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    I can see this for tourists who rush from place to place taking snapshots but never really looking at what they are taking pictures of.

On the other hand when you spend 2-3 hours photographing one scene it gets burned in your memory.

2. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Very stupid experiment. Only when told to remember what they saw, they remembered what they saw. (?)

3. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I would say that was me a few years ago. I took a break from serious photography for a while, learned to really experience and appreciate things and people around me more. Now I'm back into photography, taking fewer photos and spending less time with the camera raised because I'm still keenly observing, but end up with more keepers and much better results overall.

4. mievil

mievil Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2013
    San Diego
    There was another study done on this a few years back where they said that social media was destroying people's memories because you need a certain amount of time for memories to actually form solidly. We tend to take a bunch of images, go back to the hotel, review the pics that we just took, post them online, and constantly look at them, and this makes us forget the experience, and only focus on the image.

I had to sell my video camera years ago since all my memories are from a viewfinder, instead of from the real event. I am now trying my best to just take photos if I am by myself. I will take snapshots while out with the family, but I am trying to limit them to pics with family members in them as I do find myself wasting time on vacation trying to get something JUST right while my family sits around waiting for me.

5. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I can't say if I have this problem or not. I can remember vividly my various trips and the experience of shooting. I can see how you can become too involved with getting shots that you miss out on the activities but that isn't the same as not remembering them.

6. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    This article is:
    a) an example of fairly useless science (IMO) and
    b) terrible science journalism (it's the Daily Mail, so nobody was surprised..)

I looked at the full study, just out of interest, and the key methodological flaw, to my mind, is the instruction given. Subjects were instructed to observe objects at a museum, and take a photo of some, but only look at others. The 'problem' is that they were given very specific instructions on how take a picture (carefully line it up and zoom to make sure the entire object was framed correctly), which adds a distracting factor to a tour of museum they wouldn't be in otherwise (students at a university, doing this for course credit). Subjects were shown an object for 20 seconds, then either given another 10 seconds to study it s'more or instructed to take a picture. This is the only experiment reported in the Daily Mail piece; the second bit showed that instructing them to zoom in on details improved recall of both zoomed in on details and other parts of the object. So we should totally ban wideangle lenses! ;)

I don't think this really applies to me, because I take pictures of things I engage with. I want to tell a story with them, and when I'm shooting, I'm very aware of the visual impact of everything around me. I'm not terribly social per se, as in interacting with other people, but I'm absorbing a lot of sensory information and trying to capture that in a still photograph. It sometimes annoys the non-photographers when I'm fiddling with a landscape photograph, but I'm pretty positive I have a more vivid sense memory of the place than most of the non-photographers with me, precisely because I'm trying to capture it. I still shoot too many pictures (the bane of digital) of a single scene, mostly because it's easy and cheap, and means I don't need to worry too much about chimping to check for critical focus, etc. and just pick the best shot at home on a nice, big screen.

The final quote in the article is actually the relevant one, I think:

β€˜In order to remember, we have to access and interact with the photos, rather than just amass them,’

• Like Like x 1
  7. pisanoal

pisanoal Mu-43 Regular

Oct 29, 2012
    I am with the other posters. I strongly disagree with this study, at least on a personal level. When we as photographers (what ever level, and not including "snap-shotters") take a photo, it requires a certain level of understanding of your subject matter, lighting, how it makes you feel or react, and what you would like the final image to come out looking like. This makes us pay attention to more details then we otherwise would. Even without my camera, i frame things in my mind, and look to see the details of an "image". I remember quite vividly the scenes I photograph whether they are of my dogs at home, playing with a new lens, or in the city, or on a mountaineering or rock climbing trip. I have never looked at a photo I captured and wondered, "where did i take this at?" "Or what trip was this on?" Its always a specific memory of a specific time and feeling. Thats not to say i remember it was ____ church in Ireland, or very specific information like that, but I definitely remember the setting, who I was with, and a general sense of where I was. I can be certain that without the photo, I would not have remembered the name of the place if I didnt remember it with the photo. And often times, looking at photos of a trip spark other memories of that trip that were not captured.

8. dogs100

dogs100 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 12, 2011
    N Devon UK
    Geoff
    I've forgotten what this thread is about ... :confused: :biggrin:

• Like Like x 2
  9. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    You shoulda taken a screen shot....

:drinks:

Regards,

Jim

• Like Like x 1
  10. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    If my intention is to go out with my camera and shoot, and my memories are of taking photos, it seems like I remember what happened quite clearly.

11. humzai

humzai Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 17, 2012

I agree the instructions probably made a huge difference. This study has no real relevance to anything at all. No controls and subjects treated to differing instructions.

No one should take this seriously as the study is flawed and you really cannot base any conclusions off of it.

The study is fantastic because it seems to have so many failings. It suffers from 5 different major flaws. It's like it's an art project demonstrating how not to perform an effective study.