Photographers or Just technocrats?Who we are?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Bhupinder2002, Sep 21, 2012.

1. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi guys ...
    For the last few weeks I was just wondering where this modern and ever changing technology is pushing us . We are bombarded everyday with different cameras and lens etc etc everyday and I have reached a point where I have started to think that we are becoming more of just TECHNOCRATS rather than just a photographer who is enhancing his or her knowledge everyday . We are becoming quite good in suggesting which camera or lens someone needs rather than suggesting tips how to get the best out of your pre-existing equipment . I understand that its a human nature to get attracted and excited about every new camera or lens or anyother thing but at the end of the day they all take pics . I saw some of image threads being ignored totally and only a few suggestions or comments on some of them but on the contrary if you start a thread with ranting or raving a camera or lens eveyone jumps in to give their opinion and this includes me as well . It doesnt matter if some one has handled a camera or lens but yet they have to give opinion . We examine every lens and camera so minutely and that at some stage start to hinder or limit someone's capabilities . IMHO we should be less concerned about technical side and more towards compostion and capturing the moment rather than regretting about having a right camera or right lens because that camera or lens doenst exist at all.All current generation of camera bodies and lenses are capable of taking good pics provided we learn to overcome our own shortcomings before jumping and blaming the gear.
    This is something I wanted to share with my fellow forum members . Some may agree and some may differ but that how I am feeling these days.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
  3. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    I always worry about this. It's easy to think that "if only I had the new x I'd be a much better photographer", when upgrading from last year's best to this year's best probably has a pretty small effect on your photography. Of course, I always buy last year's camera at discount (or used, or refurbished), but even then I do keep buying new ones.
  4. Bhupinder2002

5. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    So I have to overcome my own shortcomings just to get a goof pic!?! If this is the case, I quit.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Bhupinder2002

Hahahahh I have corrected that .Thanks Grinch ..
  7. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
  8. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    I'm a hobbyist :smile:
    • Like Like x 1
  9. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

If one does not know how their camera (gear) works then one cannot work their gear - better to work it than get worked by it.
  10. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    Ever been to the DPR forums?

You'd be astounded.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    We really need "adventsam" over here to properly lobby for Panasonic to rule the world.
  12. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    I'm as big a gear nut as they come and I love toys and technology. Cameras and lenses are fun to play with, and since we all have cameras in common it's natural for us to enjoy discussing the latest and greatest and their relative merits. For me, talking about and buying gear is enjoyable, but it's not the core of photography by any means.

There are some technical limitations to be sure - wildlife is hard without a telephoto, macro requires a closeup lens, low light or shallow DoF needs fast lenses. But those things aside, the gear is far less important than developing as a photographer.

The good news is, we can do both! Talk about gear, buy gear, sell gear, swap gear - and still develop our photography skills. The trick is just remember to get out there and shoot... the images are what it's all about! :2thumbs:
    • Like Like x 1
  13. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

A Rebuttal

10 Histograms are not very helpful at all. Where where histograms for film? Guess nobody took a properly exposed film image for lack of "single greatest tool"
    9 Nobody will buy a 1 pixel camera. Pixels matter.
    8 Where are the highly regarded artist using pin hole cameras?
    7 The clueless do all sorts of goofy things.
    6 A "pro" may think they have priveledges the 'unwashed masses' do not - they dont.
    5 RTFM
    4 See #7
    3 Experince often changes minds - jpeg versus raw arguement?
    2 "Jesus loves you, honey" does not actually mean Jesus loves you. honey.
    1 Photographers do not display all their crap photos but camerists are much more giving and love to share - even crap. See "Sporktography" thread for reference.
    • Like Like x 2
  14. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    Also include Detail Man to write up a long, drawn out procedure for testing dynamic range.
  15. sokar

sokar Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2011
    I have not purchased any bodies or lenses since my 45mm Oly purchase more than one year ago. For the past year I have concentrated on becoming competent in post processing and determining which software and processing workflow is the best for my needs.

I can recall a post on this site months ago where a member recommended upgrading to LR4 over a lens purchase. I followed this advice and have now recently installed the full suite of Nik software. I am now reading and practicing as much as possible on becoming competent on the Nik software as I think it is the best options for my needs.

Several months ago I read a post by a member here regarding monitor calibration (thanks Gordon) and I purchased a Spyder 4 for calibrating my monitor and started the extensive learning process of color management and how critical it is. Definitely some headaches along the way, but well worth it.

One year ago, I mainly shot in JPG because I was not confident in worklows or the PP software. One year later, I now understand the benefits and advantages of RAW. I now shoot both and enjoy my time processing batches of my photos. I am amazed at what I can achieve with my current gear.

I know that i can still learn to use my current gear more consistently. My consitency has improved but it can get better. With my improved knowledge with PP software, I can now imagine what a good photo will be before I press the shutter button. I am starting to look at scenes and imagine whether it will look better in color or B&W.

For me, the education continues. There is much more to photography than the latest sensor or lens. Occasionally I suffer GAS, especially when I see the Fuji X-E1, but I hope to exercise constraint until I am more competent in all areas of the process.
    • Like Like x 6
  16. bcphoto

bcphoto Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 25, 2012
    Bruce Conner
    I have to throw my hat in the ring

I think Rob Watsons post has some good points but the other posts seem to be denying to be "cameraists" by talking about gear.

Photography isn't art vs. science -- it is art and science working hand-in-hand to create something pleasing. Artists have always developed special techniques to separate them from the crowd. Some famous photogs would have special cameras made. Remember Ben Rose who made computerized cameras (before computers)? He photographed through a rotating dove prism on some famous shots.

I believe that Leonardo da Vinci said that the three steps to becoming an artist are:

1. Learn the tools of your trade.

2. Copy the masters.

3. Develop your own style.

Way too many artists (concerning photogs here) try to develop their own style first. In this push button/Photoshop age some folks think that there isn't anything to know -- just select the right scene mode -- auto bracket -- and then layer 5 shots for an HDR and it is automatically "art."

Another topic: Amateur and Professionals.

"Amateur" means for the love of it (from the Latin). Some people use the word to mean "unskilled" -- it doesn't mean that.

"Professional" means to do something for money. Some people use the word to mean "skilled" -- it doesn't mean that.

Bobby Jones was one of the greatest golfers that has ever played the game and he was an "amateur."

I worked as an advertising photographer for 30 years but the last 5 I've been retired and so I'm an amateur -- that doesn't mean that I forgot everything I learned.

Pros can shoot some good images. Pros know how to re-shoot. Pros don't show their bad work. Pros don't wear their heart on their sleeve -- every client is a critic. Pros may not know how to do a certain job but they know who to hire that does. Pros like creative work but all want that juicy catalog to pay the bills. A lot of pro shots are just toasters on white paper.

Beginning photogs think there is some magic to image making. Pros help that idea along by pretending that they don't have a good background in the fundamentals or that some kind of luck was involved in getting that great shot -- mostly that is too keep the competition to a minimum.

Several people here have had some trouble describing what a dull, plain, ordinary shot should be called. Here are some terms that should be used:

A depictive photo would be a good term for that catalog shot or that group family photo or maybe the family cat.

Other types are: Illustrative, expressive, form-based and statement based.

A landscape could be just depictive or it could be statement based. It could also be form-based or the others depending on how is is portrayed. But basically all of those types have a purpose. The photo of the family group can be as loved as some "creative" photo.

Basically -- just go out and take some shots for the fun of it -- love your gear or the photo -- enjoy the moment and remember that none of it will last.

• Like Like x 4
  17. Bhupinder2002

:thiagree::thiagree::thiagree: :2thumbs::2thumbs:
  18. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Bhupinder, we all know you're just agreeing because his last purchase was the Oly 45mm :biggrin: :biggrin:
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Bhupinder2002

20. sokar

sokar Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2011
    Haha. I have to admit that I did not realize how sharp this lens was until I started using it. Although they are differing FOV the Oly 45mm makes the 17mm look a tad mediocre in sharpness at times. Having said that the 17mm is still my most utilized lens.

Let's not talk about the up and coming17mm F:1.8 Oly offering, the GAS may start all over again.