1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Photographers Just Don't Understand.

Discussion in 'Back Room' started by humzai, Jun 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fri13

Fri13 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 30, 2014
    Just give me a 25 FPS for EM-1 and it is perfect for me. Shooting video in countries what have 50Hz electricity grid is very problematic.

When it comes to video, I am total blind for the other flaws many see. I don't see anything else problematic in the codec and its 24Mbits bitrate! I have shot all kind tests for myself to see the problems but I fail in that. Maybe because I compare them to Bluray and 1080p content on vimeo or services what offer higher quality than YouTube.

When outdoors in woods or just shooting in nature lighting I don't see any problem to be there for negativity the camera gets. But I am blind for it, no matter how much I frame peep. And in editors I can pull/push curves well above my needs or chance gradiation etc...

So please someone, send exported 1080p frames uncompresses highlighted with the problems what are just stopping using EM-1 for anything else than blogging?

2. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    So do all of our members! Posts in this thread have become a bit too personal for the tastes of many of us. Surely we can either agree to disagree and/or not continue sniping at each other? It is one thing to throw an occasional elbow, but too many jabs and things can quickly get out of hand.

--Ken

• Like Like x 3
  3. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I didn't read 98% of the thread, so I don't really know what this is about. If people are being rude, please use the report post button, and we will address it!

4. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Chill, friend. My post was logical, not personal. My comments re still photo portfolios were illustrating that one can have a supremely admirable portfolio with the second top, or even mid range, modern camera, and if we all have to justify buying the new top model for stills with proven advances in our outcomes other than image IQ, sales will be low. Yet that was the argument being pressed against the GH4.

Apologies if it read some other way to you. I try to keep this a friendly and even humorous forum.

5. Fri13

Fri13 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 30, 2014
    Does that really work?
    Last time I really used such feature on Canon S2 IS on holiday and it did it so that taken photo was missing from the video and video got a fancy sound "click" to mark photo taken. It was one time only I tried to process video of 3min missing 12-15 frames and unusable audio.

I did test that on EM-1 as I had read about it. But as I can see, taking photograph middle of video splits video to new file. Have not checked is there frames missing or not but at least I got just feeling there is second or so missing between video files?

If I could take photos while recording video without missing frames I could use more that feature.

Now I am considering to get something better to record audio like Zoom H2n what would offer middle sound. I am acceptable to mic levels EM-1 offers but background white noise is too strong, but otherwise amazingly well it can capture birds sing clearly from 500m distance or car wheel noise from over 3km distance.

Many say get a shotgun mic but I don't want mono (there are stereo ones too) nor focused audio source but good stereo sound. Have gone trough multiple review but none of them are about recording distance outdoors for over 30m...

6. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    What happens (after I just tested it) is that the video recording is halted for the time it takes to do the single shot and then resumes recording. So in my test, I had two video clips and two still shots. I think that's pretty reasonable, as I couldn't see how it could do both at the same time. It's not a feature that one would want to use except for specific work where breaks will not matter overall. It can even be useful to create a still shot of the scene, as a marker to assist in later editing/sorting clips and/or providing a quick record of the scene, should you want to replicate it for any reason.

7. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Apparently this thread has been a lot more contentious than I had realized.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.