Photographers Just Don't Understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fri13

Mu-43 Veteran
In terms of video, I think the E-M1 is better than it is given credit for - certainly suitable for recreational video, and potentially optimal for some professional applications like web photojournalism and vlogging. I do think IBIS has some oft-ignored downsides -- the big one being unpredictable frame warping -- but I don't think any of the "negatives", be they artifcating or a lack of more diverse frame rates, preclude the E-M1's video mode from being useful.
Just give me a 25 FPS for EM-1 and it is perfect for me. Shooting video in countries what have 50Hz electricity grid is very problematic.

When it comes to video, I am total blind for the other flaws many see. I don't see anything else problematic in the codec and its 24Mbits bitrate! I have shot all kind tests for myself to see the problems but I fail in that. Maybe because I compare them to Bluray and 1080p content on vimeo or services what offer higher quality than YouTube.

When outdoors in woods or just shooting in nature lighting I don't see any problem to be there for negativity the camera gets. But I am blind for it, no matter how much I frame peep. And in editors I can pull/push curves well above my needs or chance gradiation etc...

So please someone, send exported 1080p frames uncompresses highlighted with the problems what are just stopping using EM-1 for anything else than blogging?

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
It's a great camera man! And it deserves a little love! Just a little!
So do all of our members! Posts in this thread have become a bit too personal for the tastes of many of us. Surely we can either agree to disagree and/or not continue sniping at each other? It is one thing to throw an occasional elbow, but too many jabs and things can quickly get out of hand.

--Ken

Amin Sabet

Administrator
Has Amin sold out to DPReview? This thread is turning (or already has turned) into a flame war. Why all the passion guys?
I didn't read 98% of the thread, so I don't really know what this is about. If people are being rude, please use the report post button, and we will address it!

T N Args

Agent Photocateur
Real Name
call me Arg
This thread is terrible!

Not one in a hundred people here have a still image portfolio worthy of their investment in gear and its last ounce of capability -- specifically the additional investment over the next level of gear down. Yes, it's the nut behind the viewer that has the rounded edges. Take it for granted.

Arguments that buying the GH4 has to be justified by the quality of video project outcomes made with it, are desperately dangerous when we look back at our still image portfolio in terms of quality of outcomes.

As for effort needed -- never underestimate the enthusiasm of the enthusiast!

Let's celebrate the new king and move on. We are not dpreview.
It is however pretty condescending to state the people in this thread don't have port olios worth a damn. Who died and made you arbiter of good photography? What does it matter to you if my photography is good enough for my gear? I take photos for mysel, not for you or anyone else. What I choose to buy or not buy has not a thing to do with you.
Chill, friend. My post was logical, not personal. My comments re still photo portfolios were illustrating that one can have a supremely admirable portfolio with the second top, or even mid range, modern camera, and if we all have to justify buying the new top model for stills with proven advances in our outcomes other than image IQ, sales will be low. Yet that was the argument being pressed against the GH4.

Apologies if it read some other way to you. I try to keep this a friendly and even humorous forum.

Fri13

Mu-43 Veteran
You can do that with just about every Panasonic/Olympus and other brand late-model camera. You don't even have to change dials, just press the record button and while recording video, take stills at the same time.
Does that really work?
Last time I really used such feature on Canon S2 IS on holiday and it did it so that taken photo was missing from the video and video got a fancy sound "click" to mark photo taken. It was one time only I tried to process video of 3min missing 12-15 frames and unusable audio.

I did test that on EM-1 as I had read about it. But as I can see, taking photograph middle of video splits video to new file. Have not checked is there frames missing or not but at least I got just feeling there is second or so missing between video files?

If I could take photos while recording video without missing frames I could use more that feature.

Now I am considering to get something better to record audio like Zoom H2n what would offer middle sound. I am acceptable to mic levels EM-1 offers but background white noise is too strong, but otherwise amazingly well it can capture birds sing clearly from 500m distance or car wheel noise from over 3km distance.

Many say get a shotgun mic but I don't want mono (there are stereo ones too) nor focused audio source but good stereo sound. Have gone trough multiple review but none of them are about recording distance outdoors for over 30m...

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
What happens (after I just tested it) is that the video recording is halted for the time it takes to do the single shot and then resumes recording. So in my test, I had two video clips and two still shots. I think that's pretty reasonable, as I couldn't see how it could do both at the same time. It's not a feature that one would want to use except for specific work where breaks will not matter overall. It can even be useful to create a still shot of the scene, as a marker to assist in later editing/sorting clips and/or providing a quick record of the scene, should you want to replicate it for any reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom