1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Photographers Just Don't Understand.

Discussion in 'Back Room' started by humzai, Jun 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Here is some reality. Read the directors statement. We don't need to go back and forth on an internet forum, this little Italian girl went out and did what you think you can't...

http://dreamsforsalethemovie.com/about/

2. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    ...and where in this thread has anybody claimed that making a great video is only about the gear?

3. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I've never said brilliant, I've been talking about professional/high quality enthusiast level video outcomes, not getting 4K footage of Little Johnny running around the soccer oval. Please don't cherry pick.

4. OzRay

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    Did you read about all of those involved in the project: http://dreamsforsalethemovie.com/about/? There were at least eleven primary people experienced in film production involved in the project.

Is this the 'little Italian girl'?

5. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Cherry picking ? Really?

Do you think the people on this thread can share their enthusiasm for their cameras without you suggesting that they are all deluded Cecil B De Milles wannabes who are in need of a reality check from you?

• Like Like x 1
  6. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Read the directors statement: "I returned the following day with a cheap camera, little experience, and a lot of enthusiasm. The plan was to shoot a short film over the course of the summer, exploring the quirkiness of this unique amusement park and the reasons for its most recent state of neglect". She did what you can't. Just her and a camera, and it grew into something big and pretty damn good. She picked up a camera and started. And it grew. Just because you can't, it doesn't mean others wont. And she did.

7. Yeah, Danny Boyle said this about shooting 28 Days Later on digital (expensive though) consumer level stuff too -

http://web.archive.org/web/20030802...ateraninterviewwithdannyboyle_2003-05-21.html
    I was trying to find something on The Celebration (festen) earlier as well and as far as I know that had the same approach - shoot improvised stuff handheld however they could at the time. So, I mean, I guess it helps if you're a genius, and it's not like either of those films were zero preproduction affairs either, but it sure sounds a lot more fun than making some animatics and capturing them exactly :p 

But yeah - I kind of feel like a bit of this line of argument was already answered back in 1998/2002 in a way. Those movies already came out and made a crapload of money or picked up a load of awards :D 

8. OzRay

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    I have no idea where you're getting those ideas from. I have nothing against the cameras whatsoever. My argument is solely based on a misplaced premise that one can just pick up a camera and produce even reasonable video productions. Producing good video is far more difficult than people give credit. I would suggest that producing good video is at least 10x more difficult than producing good photographs. And by good video I mean telling a complete story, not just pointing a camera at a scene and calling it a video.

9. OzRay

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    At the end of the day, the outcome was accomplished by a range of people with skills in the field, including her own. It really had nothing to do with equipment.

10. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    He gets those ideas from this

and the reason I think you seem intimidated is because you keep repeating things like this

11. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Aww Ray, don't do that. My friend dove in and decided to make a movie by herself, and it grew into a full length documentary with a crew of people because of her hard work. Don't minimize what she did. She did exactly what you say people can't (and to be honest, few of us could pull it off). Give credit where credit is due.

12. OzRay

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    I've been in the photography game for over 30 years, so I have a small appreciation of the differences between expectations and reality. If things were so easy, then the world would be filled with Ansell Adams', HCBs, Cecil B de Milles, Peter Jackson's and the like; it isn't, so that seems to indicate that equipment may not be the deciding factor on what artistic/skilled/dedicated people can produce.

13. OzRay

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    Ask your friend this: 'Did she take up this endeavour because she had a camera, or because she had a cause?'

14. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Please quote where anybody in this thread said that equipment was the deciding factor. Anybody.

15. OzRay

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    This entire thread is about the GH4!

16. humzai

humzai Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 17, 2012
    Can we all atl least agree on one thing? The White Castle Waffle and Chicken Sandwhich is a great snack to enjoy while reading this thread at midnight? I agree with this of course, and I will also pretend you agree.

The funny thing is that if I had to choose one or the other I would probably choose the E-M1. I also participated in those E-M1 threads and have started some of them myself.

Oh and to the guys saying 4k is soo scary and difficult to process how many of you have actually worked with it?

• Like Like x 1
  17. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    She had both, along with a belief that she could make a movie. My point was that she wan't intimidated. She didn't say "I wont buy this camera because
    and she didn't say
    She just went out and did it.

18. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Quote where ANYBODY said that equipment is the deciding factor. You can't because nobody did.

19. OzRay

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    I for one have never said that, other than to point out that it involves more resources than HD. The post-processing procedures will be much the same as for any video file when it comes to editing etc. It's what comes before that, which is most important.

20. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman Subscribing Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    GFFPhoto

do you actually have a GH4 and have you gone through the process of capturing and editing the footage?

Its not clear from your posts

You seem to be under the impression that Ozray and I are somehow against/afraid of 4K.

Nothing could be further from the truth from my perspective - I chose in this thread to take a stance, that builds on my experience of working with video and video formats both privately and professionally. And that stance is that to achieve a final delivered product that the camera is only a small part of the process.

For 10 years from 2000 to 2010 I earned my living working for Apple in Europe in a role that saw me up on stage all across Europe explaining and demonstrating to professional audiences the various iterations of Final Cut, DVD Studio Pro and many other apps. I spent a lot of time setting up machines to demonstrate a variety of formats from DV, through HDV, Uncompressed HD, MPEG, H264. In other words I do have a reasonably deep understanding of video, video formats and the related technical requirements in order to work with the footage

I know I have been out of that industry for 4 years professionally but I do still keep up with what is going on, and while technologies have advanced they have not advanced that much. The issues around the best file format for capture, for editing and for delivery still exist, still have gotchas even in regular HD that can eat up computing power, time and disk space very rapidly if you are not aware of what you are doing. I don't see how 4K can do anything but multiply those problems.

The GH4 is undoubtedly an amazing camera, and 4K files obviously have some advantages - but I remain to be convinced that for the average hobbyist it is something that should be high up the list of priorities

Cheers

K

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.