Photographers behaving badly

PhotoCal

Mu-43 Veteran
20210404_120504.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

While visiting a nature preserve I (and countless others) saw this photographer who had gone off the trail. To get to this spot he had to walk by two signs warning people to stay on the trail. He must have figured he was special.

People like this give all of us photographers a bad name.
I'm sure he got some great pictures of those elusive coots!

Real Name
Phill
Maybe he is special. How does anyone know whether or not he had permission to be there?
Maybe he got, who knows, could also be an employee or contracted photographer. However often enough people wander off the marked trails in nature reservations just to get some pictures, it's not only photographers but also a lot of casual people.

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Unfortunately having a camera in hand, or even an iPad sometimes, seems to empower some folks to think they are THE photographer and nothing else matters other than a shot of a muddy duck, or their 6-year-old wandering aimlessly around the outfield during a t-ball game. I've had many occasions with camera raised to my eye where someone stands right in front of me.

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
I don't see any signs that say stay on the trail
They could be hidden in this shot by any number of those trees and bushes. Right? I don't see any reason to doubt the words in the original post.

Edit: actually, now that I have thought about it, I'm thinking that perhaps you mean that as a general philosophy of photography - i.e. "stay on the trail" signs are not something that registers with your consciousness. For example, even if you were actually sitting beside a "stay on trail" sign, it would essentially be blank, or just a nice thing to lean on. That is another thing, of course. ;) (I actually think about these posts on the forum ...)

Last edited:
Where’s the harm? They are on a grassy slope that’s undoubtedly disturbed given its proximity to the path and is likely dominated by weedy species. They don’t appear to be disturbing birds, bird habitats, or native vegetation.

Besides, who here can honestly say they have never been off-track for a photo, especially when nobody is around?

Furthermore, I find dogs and dog walkers more problematic for wildlife disturbance and ecological damage.

I was recently shooting at a local natural area, off-track(!) but near a walking path, and I kept coming across bagged dog sh*t that had been tossed into the forest. WTF! They’re leaving the poop and plastic waste!

They could be hidden in this shot by any number of those trees and bushes. Right? I don't see any reason to doubt the words in the original post.

Edit: actually, now that I have thought about it, I'm thinking that perhaps you mean that as a general philosophy of photography - i.e. "stay on the trail" signs are not something that registers with your consciousness. For example, even if you were actually sitting beside a "stay on trail" sign, it would essentially be blank, or just a nice thing to lean on. That is another thing, of course. ;) (I actually think about these posts on the forum ...)

You can only see them from the trail :)
what I was getting at is @PhotoCal talks about how he is such a great photographer and all of us are beneath him and if he was such a great photographer he would have included the sign in the photograph. If I was wanting to tell a story about someone breaking a rule that is clearly posted I would include the sign and the person breaking the rule in the photograph. That is story telling 101. Like when I wanted to tell my story about bike packing down the Denali Highway and part of that story was the remoteness and hazards of the area I took a photograph that included the sign letting you know about those hazards.

51190845885_3d3df284b2_o.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Here it Goes by Phocal Art, on Flickr

A good photographer would know this and include the sign so they don't have to say anything. In the OP's post the photo just looks like a photo of a photographer taking photos, he has to tell you what the photograph means. If I have to write something to explain the photograph I have failed as a photographer/storyteller.

my two copper pieces,

Phocal

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Where’s the harm? They are on a grassy slope that’s undoubtedly disturbed given its proximity to the path and is likely dominated by weedy species. They don’t appear to be disturbing birds, bird habitats, or native vegetation.

Besides, who here can honestly say they have never been off-track for a photo, especially when nobody is around?
So we all get to interpret if the rules are really important or should apply to us? And they only apply if someone is there to catch us?

So we all get to interpret if the rules are really important or should apply to us? And they only apply if someone is there to catch us?
I wasn’t suggesting photographers carte blanche ignore posted rules. I was merely interpreting what I saw in the OPs photo. Second, I wasn’t suggesting we ignore rules when no one is watching, but rather I was asking (hence the question mark) if we haven’t done this ourselves (pointing to our hypocrisy).

If locations I visit have posted instructions about remaining on the tracks, I will do so. For instance, I would never leave a boardwalk through a wetland. Furthermore, as a photographer who primarily shoots plants and flowers, and having a professional background in plant ecology/botany, I am well aware of the damage I could create when entering a habitat. If I can’t access a subject without creating harm I’ll move on to a new one.

Last edited:

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I wasn’t suggesting photographers carte blanche ignore post rules. I was merely interpreting what I saw in the OPs photo. Second, I wasn’t suggesting we ignore rules when no one is watching, but rather I was asking (hence the question mark) if we haven’t done this ourselves (pointing to our hypocrisy).

If locations I visit have posted instructions about remaining on the tracks, I will do so. For instance, I would never leave a boardwalk through a wetland. Furthermore, as a photographer who primarily shoots plants and flowers, and having a professional background in plant ecology/botany, I am well aware of the damage I could create when entering a habitat. If I can’t access a subject without creating harm I’ll move on to a new one.
Whereas I would have no clue if I’m tromping on a weed or destroying the delicate ecosystem of a rare micro frog or three-eyed newt.

Seems like you were saying "assess if the rules really are necessary or important". Apologies, I guess I read that incorrectly. Though it still kind of reads clearly like that to me.

doady

Mu-43 Veteran
Last year, in my excitement to take photos, I've gotten a bit too close to flowers in a public garden as well. But maybe I'm not the only one with a camera or smartphone there who has gotten too close. And maybe people without cameras or smartphones get too close as well. If we really like something, it is easier to forget when to stand back from it, and I'm as guilty as anyone.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom