Photographer shooting US Olympic team gets it horribly wrong

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by @bjobrien1980, Jul 5, 2012.

1. @bjobrien1980

@bjobrien1980 Mu-43 Rookie

• Like Like x 1
  2. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Thanks for sharing. Very interesting, indeed!

3. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    I feel bad for the photographer Klamar on this one... everyone has an off day and it sounds to me like the deck was stacked against him on this assignment to boot. Unfortunately in the visual arts criticism comes particularly fast and harsh because everyone feels entitled to have a strong opinion. To me the real question is why did these shots make it past editing? They must have had a dire need for photos to push through images with obvious issues.

4. lattiboy

lattiboy Mu-43 Regular

Dec 16, 2009
    Looking at his other stuff, he clearly knows how to compose a photograph.

He was obviously trying something different with commentary on how we polish our heros, ect, ect, ect.

However, what he was trying for was quite "meta" for something this big. Also, poorly executed in every sense. So, yeah.......

5. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    While I agree most of those images are terrible, I actually kind of like the one of Michael Phelps. It's not typical editorial style photography, but contrasty, dramatic lighting like that has a long history in portrait and artistic photography. It's not boring, which most posed new photographs are.

6. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I'm not sure how you're reaching the conclusion that he was trying to make some sort of commentary with these images. For the most part it simply appears to me that he was unprepared and rushed.

The only image where I think perhaps one could argue that he was trying to provide a behind-the-scenes or "meta" look is the shot of the sprinter, Merritt, which includes the entire seamless. But when taken in the context of the rest of the images, I can only draw the conclusion that this shot was simply composed and shot with extreme haste. (To be more charitable, it may have been a test shot, but if that was the case it raises the question of why it would ever have been turned in.)

I feel badly that this guy who was obviously not on his game on this particular day, is being ravaged so publicly. I'm definitely not claiming that I could do better were I put in his position. I place just as much blame or more blame on the news organization he was shooting for who apparently did not convey the requirements of the assignment and for the editors who, when presented with these results, chose to release the images.

7. lattiboy

lattiboy Mu-43 Regular

Dec 16, 2009
    I just find it almost impossible to believe somebody who shoots this can't do a simple portrait. I mean, I get that they're two totally different styles, but I am confident most people on this board could've produced better results with a radio popper and one flash. Just using "A" mode on an entry-level dSLR would've produced better results. It seems like he almost had to work against the camera to do it.

Perhaps I am wildly wrong and this guy just couldn't do anything right, but they're so, so bad it seems almost impossible. Especially showing the tear in the background TWICE.

8. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    The folks that hired him made the mistake. Klamar is not a studio photographer and the skills you develop shooting outside the studio do not translate very well when you move into the studio. Naturally, the photographer made the same mistake to think he could just walk into a studio and make it work. He should have taken these athletes outside.

9. alans

alans Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 28, 2010
    Ouch! That was poorly done. Where was the art director on this one?

10. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Upon doing some further reading, even Mr. Klamar himself is not claiming (or at least not admitting) that he had some larger design for these images.

Since he arrived to the shoot without a studio set-up he was sharing that of another photog and the timeframes he had with the athletes were incredibly condensed (just a few minutes). He obviously went with irreverent poses with some of these athletes (e.g. the badminton player posed with a shuttlecock atop his head), but I still doubt he had any larger design for the shot as a whole.

Frankly, the more I read about the conditions of this shoot, I'm almost more surprised that he got any usable and interesting shots at all than that some of his shots were clunkers.

11. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    What's unfair is that these weren't intended for public consumption. We're all entitled to screw up sometimes. The editor isn't supposed to publish the failures. Unfortunately, in this case the editor posted them to the stock site, which is how they came out into public view.

DH