Photographer at an Art Show (G3)

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by RonSmith, Jul 31, 2011.

1. RonSmith

RonSmith Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 7, 2010
    Michigan
    I took my brand new G3 out for the first time yesterday and walked through a local art show. I miss not having ACR to process RAW files, but I thought this one came out nicely, with minor adjustments in CS5.

What do you think?

20/1.7 on G3

5993508017_836fda31ce_b.
    20110730 015a by Ronald S. Smith, on Flickr

• Like Like x 5
  2. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    The expression is great. The light is wonderful. So it the pose. The silver spear in his back is disconcerting. Backgrounds and such like the grey carpet panel are always the hardest to work with. And with the depth of field of an m4/3 camera, it takes even more care. All in all, a really nice portrait.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hi Ron,

A very nice expressive portrait.

I agree with Hikari, tough to control that background under those conditions.

That said, I've seen enough of your work to expect nice expressive portraits, you've submitted some beautiful renderings of your sons and your wife, a couple of the black and whites of your son are just superb.

How do you like the G3, do you feel limited by the lack of manual controls? Or is it a nice upgrade from the GF1? you were shooting a GF1, NO?

• Like Like x 1
  4. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    I love the candid expression in this shot. Bravo

• Like Like x 1
  5. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Hard to get a relaxed yet still a bit formal and proper look/expression when your subject knows there's a camera aimed at them. Good job Ron.

G

• Like Like x 1
  6. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    What the others have said - plus, really impressive detail, showing off the resolution capabilities of the lens and sensor. Wow. That camera and lens work well together, especially when the photographer clearly knows his stuff...:smile:

• Like Like x 1
  7. RonSmith

RonSmith Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 7, 2010
    Michigan
    Thanks very much gentlemen. This was actually a true candid, as the photographer was engaged in conversation with another person, and I just raised my G3 and got a couple shots off. He noticed but it didn't seem to bother him. Not much I could do about the background, but the lighting inside his booth was actually pretty good.

Alan, I do have a GF1 and I think the G3 may be the ideal upgrade to it for me. I really like the GF1, but the accessory EVF has always been its weak link.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Thanks Ron,

Is the IQ noticeably better?

I like to keep my bodies for about a year, at least. I'm afraid I'm not much of a gear head..

I'm starting to poke around though, and while I'll probably keep my GF1, I'll be upgrading the G1 pretty soon.

I read with interest Amin's comment in another thread, that we may be seeing an GF style body with an EVF... might induce the wait and see syndrome for me.

Alan

9. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    It's a great look, Ron. I think Mr. Wood would really appreciate the look you captured of him. Wonderful expression, nice colors, crisp sharpness. I'll bet you're loving that G3. If you wanted to, you could clone out that silver bar fairly easily and defocus the BG a bit for better isolation... that would give a nice enhancement to the portrait.