PhotoDirector very slow?

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by peter124, Sep 26, 2012.

1. I was able to download the 2011 version using the free offer. Installed without any trouble, but it takes ages to load an image file. By comparison Olympus Viewer is a speed demon!

Admittedly my PC is getting somewhat old, but it runs Picasa, Photoshop elements, etc., very well. I wonder if there are any setup tricks that I need to know?

It's a shame, because the UI and processing capabilities are very nice. Especially for something that's free!

Peter

2. sokar

sokar Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2011
    I read similar reviews on Nik software that it ran slow on some PCs. After further reading it seemed to be only on 32 bit windows computer; the 64 bit ran well. I installed the full Nik suite on my 64 bit laptop and it runs well with 4GB of RAM.

I am not sure what machine you are using, but maybe this software is optimally designed for 64 bit operating systems.

3. Thanks sokar. Yes, my PC is 32 bit, so it sounds like that's the reason. I suppose I should upgrade, but I have some engineering CAD packages that run only on xp. If I upgrade the computer I'd have to spend several thousand dollars on upgraded CAD as well.

4. sokar

sokar Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2011
    Peter,

I run windows 7 professional and I am sure that some versions of windows 7 run some emulator to continue the operational use of 32 bit software specifically designed for XP. I recently installed an old (10 years) version of quicken onto my machine and it runs well.

From what I understand the 64 bit operating platform makes much better use of available RAM. I can run 32 or 64 bit software on my machine seamlessly. It may be worth investigating further.

5. Thanks sokar, that is a good suggestion. There is indeed an official Microsoft xp emulator for windows 7. Looks like that will be my answer!