PhotoDirector very slow?

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by peter124, Sep 26, 2012.

1. peter124

peter124 Mu-43 Regular

I was able to download the 2011 version using the free offer. Installed without any trouble, but it takes ages to load an image file. By comparison Olympus Viewer is a speed demon!

Admittedly my PC is getting somewhat old, but it runs Picasa, Photoshop elements, etc., very well. I wonder if there are any setup tricks that I need to know?

It's a shame, because the UI and processing capabilities are very nice. Especially for something that's free!

Peter

2. sokar

sokar Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2011
    I read similar reviews on Nik software that it ran slow on some PCs. After further reading it seemed to be only on 32 bit windows computer; the 64 bit ran well. I installed the full Nik suite on my 64 bit laptop and it runs well with 4GB of RAM.

I am not sure what machine you are using, but maybe this software is optimally designed for 64 bit operating systems.

3. peter124

peter124 Mu-43 Regular

Thanks sokar. Yes, my PC is 32 bit, so it sounds like that's the reason. I suppose I should upgrade, but I have some engineering CAD packages that run only on xp. If I upgrade the computer I'd have to spend several thousand dollars on upgraded CAD as well.

4. sokar

sokar Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2011
    Peter,

I run windows 7 professional and I am sure that some versions of windows 7 run some emulator to continue the operational use of 32 bit software specifically designed for XP. I recently installed an old (10 years) version of quicken onto my machine and it runs well.

From what I understand the 64 bit operating platform makes much better use of available RAM. I can run 32 or 64 bit software on my machine seamlessly. It may be worth investigating further.

5. peter124

peter124 Mu-43 Regular

Thanks sokar, that is a good suggestion. There is indeed an official Microsoft xp emulator for windows 7. Looks like that will be my answer!