Photoblog options?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by ryanlogic, Jun 20, 2012.

1. ryanlogic

ryanlogic Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2012
    Antakya, Turkey
    I just received the new EM-5

And now that I have a decent camera, I want to establish a consistent means of showcasing my progress.

I was thinking about going with a Wordpress blog and one of the free themes for now.

I'm not too familiar with Flickr, do many people still use it?

Suggestions?

2. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I've started a couple of Wordpress blogs and it's a really simple platform to get up and running with. As far as Flickr, it's really not a blogging platform, but if you're simply trying to share photos with minimal commentary then I guess it could serve the purpose.

A couple of other solutions you might want to consider are 500px and SmugMug.

3. ryanlogic

ryanlogic Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2012
    Antakya, Turkey
    Awesome, I'll probably just set up a Wordpress blog. I'd like to be able to write commentary once is a while.

Thanks.

4. allenrowand

allenrowand Mu-43 Regular

Apr 10, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Allen Rowand
    I'm using Wordpress with a free theme, the NextGen Gallery plug-in and a lightbox plug-in hosted on Webfaction. I'm still in the process of setting things up, but you can take a look at Photographs | Musings and Mumblings. The Botanical Garden and Flea Market galleries were shot with the E-M5 and 12-50.

5. Justified_Sinner

Justified_Sinner Mu-43 Regular

Feb 11, 2010
    Scotland, UK
    Dauvit Alexander
    I use Flickr to show off all my photographs and also use it as an image host for my Blog, which is old-school on Blogger. It means that the blog doesn't become over-burdened with images and I can point people back to the photographs on Flickr if they need to see more or related images. It works quite nicely.

Additionally, Flickr has become a kind of de facto Blog for me as I do like to comment on and discuss the photographs I put there. This does allow me to keep my Blog more business-related, though the business photographs are on Flickr alongside my holiday snaps and other unrelated nonsense!

6. ryanlogic

ryanlogic Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2012
    Antakya, Turkey
    Thanks, I'll check it out as soon as I get to a computer!!!

7. ryanlogic

ryanlogic Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2012
    Antakya, Turkey
    Yea, I was thinking about using Flickr as a repository/ portfolio.

We will see