1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Photo Wall Project

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by zpierce, Nov 15, 2010.

1. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Zach
    Over the past few weeks we moved my youngest child into our home office so he could have a bigger bedroom and we remodeled his old bedroom into the new home office. I wanted an inexpensive way for me to display some of my better photos and be able to change them out on a whim without the hassle of messing with frames so I came up with this brainstorm. After searching for a product to buy, I found a very similar DIY project to my brainstorm on the web and it helped me figure out the hardware and make it come together. I'm really happy with how it turned out.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/zachpierce/5180862180/" title="P1210137.jpg by zach.pierce, on Flickr">"1024" height="768" alt="P1210137.jpg" /></a>

• Like Like x 1
  2. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Cool, got any close ups? Are the photos glued to the black matting?

3. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    Looks very nice - the way they are hung can let you add/remove/rearrange easily.

4. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    Zach

that looks really good - can we have more details please?

Of the materials used and where to find them etc.

Thanks

5. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Zach
    They are very easy to move around, they're just alligator clips from the office supply store holding them on.

The matting is just a very thick card stock I found at Michael's. It was about $4 per 20x30" sheet. I cut 4 of them up into 9 pieces.

The photos are attached with double sticky tape. If I want to change them, I can just peel them off and put new ones on, or buy more card stock.

The wire and hardware I got from a local hardware store. It's roughly picture hanging gauge wire that I got cut off the bulk spool. To attach to the wall, I have an eye hook in either end in a stud. Then I attached the wire to one end with a splicing sleeve. Warning - get the smallest ones you can find as they're quite difficult to crimp with pliers. On the other end I attached a turnbuckle with a hook on one end through the eye hood and the wire attached to the other end. Then you can tighten the turnbuckle to tension the wire.

All and all it was pretty easy and cost about $50.

Here's the DIY project I found online that helped me sort out the hardware. They did it a bit more complicated with wood backs. I wanted to go simpler and wanted the simple black background. I didn't like the wood / bulldog clip look.

Easy Photo Wall on a Shoestring ... er, Wire, Budget » Curbly | DIY Design Community « Keywords: photos, home, decoration, wall

• Like Like x 3
  6. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    Very nice and inspiring :2thumbs:
    C U,
    Rafael