Photo Walk in an Australian Border Town feat. Panasonic 20mm f1.7 mk II

Recently I have been inspired by a few photo walk threads here on the forum, so when a friend proposed a photo walk in a small town on the western Victorian border, I thought about how I'd like to shoot, and let the why find me when I arrived.

I took the Panasonic GX7 with 20mm f1.7 mark II, and decided to shoot primarily with a custom monochrome setting. The GX7 hasn't been out much since I got the OMD EM10 mark II, and it was the preference for this BW setting that led me to using it, which I really enjoyed. (Some shots did need to be presented in colour, though.) All shots were minimally processed with Snapseed app.

Kaniva is located between the Big Desert and the Little Desert on the Western Highway, making a convenient stopping place about midway between Adelaide and Melbourne. There's one short street with shops, and although I had visited previously, I hadn't noticed the history and quirkiness of them before now.

The shops along the south (sunny) side of the street have deep verandahs, overhung with vines, creating a cool space on a hot day, and it was a pleasure to wander along with a friend to share the experience with:
5170614-01-01.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

5170616-01-01.jpeg

We did giggle somewhat over the name on this office window:
5170627-01-01.jpeg

We oohed and aahed as we met with the next scene, of rustic workshop crowned with flowering morning glory vine:
5170633-01-01.jpeg

...which I felt deserved its moment in colour:
5170637-01-01.jpeg

Heading around to the front of the workshop to this scrap of newspaper comic strip, which must have been meaningful to previous occupants:
5170643-01-01.jpeg

...and through the shop window, to where a beam of sunlight from a skylight illuminated the old counter:
5170642-01-01.jpeg

At the end of the main street shopping precinct, we paused to admire an old bank building and peer down the treed street:
5170646-01.jpeg

Then we headed back up the street for some lunch, via the denture getting-place:
5170651-02.jpeg

I'll pause here, and return later for the after-lunch entertainments: the puppet shop!

This is Ninja Santy, who I found in a 5c opportunity shop bin - he came on our road trip and had adventures while we were out shooting:
5170624-01.jpeg

My friend kindly hammed it up for the camera outside the hair salon:
5170680-01.jpeg

After lunch we visited the puppet shop, a reasonably new business in the town. It was quite an oasis of fantasy and well worth the visit.
5170658-01.jpeg

5170671-01.jpeg
5170674-01.jpeg
5170677-01.jpeg
5170676.jpg
5170678-01.jpeg

StephenB

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Steve
Nice work, I'm a big black and white fan, probably because I don't understand colour that well. Good job on the chimney stack with the interesting splash of colour and the lens flare.

Inside the puppet shop is a Christmas room, which was lit only by gentle display lights and ambient light spilling through from the front part of the shop:
5170666-01.jpeg

This mobile Christmas diorama was housed in the body of an old television set unit; the boy in the car with the dog rotated:
5170664-01.jpeg

The lovely owner, who moved her business here from a very busy Adelaide Hills tourist town, allowed me to photograph her while tweaking a wreath:
5170670-01.jpeg

Alberta Dave

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Dave
This is a great set of images and I really enjoyed looking through them. I think the lady puppet with the fruit on its head is based on the 30/40/50's movie star Carmen Miranda LOL. Thank you for sharing these and a very good use of monochrome.

This is a great set of images and I really enjoyed looking through them. I think the lady puppet with the fruit on its head is based on the 30/40/50's movie star Carmen Miranda LOL. Thank you for sharing these and a very good use of monochrome.
That was my first thought when I saw that puppet also. She wore similarly loud colours, as you'd expect!

JLGF1

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jerry
Nice. In the right hands the P20 rarely fails to impress, especially in monochrome.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom