1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Photo styles

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by finerflower, Jul 28, 2014.

1. finerflower

finerflower Amin Fangrrl

Dec 11, 2013
    New Jersey (South)
    Holly
    I have a question about how the photo styles function in Panasonic Cameras. I read the manual cover to cover but couldn't find the answer to these questions:

The photo styles I am referring to are standard, vivid, scenery, natural, portrait, monochrome and custom.

1) do these photo styles have any effect on the raw files or is this a JPEG function only.
    2) these photo styles are customizable, you can push or pull the contrast, noise reduction, saturation and sharpness. When I went to see about adjusting these styles, I thought I'd see the levels different on each setting. For example I would expect the monochrome to be all the way minus on the saturation scale and boosted on the contrast scale, yet all of the photo styles were set to -+0. So I assume when you push or pull a setting, you are adjusting the native setting for the style.

Can someone give me a heads up on the basics of these styles and how they function and whether you bother with them at all.

Thanks,

Holly

2. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    As far as I know, when you apply these styles to RAW files, at least on my wife's G2, the raw convertor (Silkypix) reads the settings and reproduces them in real-time. Any other raw reader/convertor won't know how to interpret the settings.

..and yes, the photo styles have baseline settings that you can then adjust - but those settings are baked in before you begin to play with the adjustment sliders.

• Like Like x 1
  3. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    I'm pretty sure they are jpeg only.

• Like Like x 1
  4. kadamnation

kadamnation Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Piggyback question: I've heard that it's recommended to turn down NR on the image settings because cameras (GX7, in my case) don't do noise reduction as well as post-processing software... Is this true?

5. GeBathan

GeBathan Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 11, 2012
    Los Angeles CA
    Gerard
    I think so, mine is set to -5 NR.

6. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    Agreed, somewhat. Turn off noise reduction if you want the most control in post-editing... NR Software usually does a far better job. On the other hand, some NR software can be frustratingly fiddely. So if you're not interesting in spending some time figuring out how to make NR software work it may actually be better to let the camera do its thing.

7. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
    Only the jpegs are changed (the changes are permanent and cannot be undone in PP). The RAW files are untouched. I usually do not use any of these in camera settings.