Photo seem not sharp at wide open

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by kitaro9202, Aug 13, 2015.

1. kitaro9202

kitaro9202 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 3, 2013
    it been so long since i use my m4/3 camera

as i mostly used dslr

isit my camera , len or user problem?

gx1, olympus 45mmf 1.8

this is shot with f1.8

this photo seem not sharp

but these 2 are shot wide open seem okay

2. poopstick

poopstick Mu-43 Regular

Aug 9, 2013
    Burlington Ontario
    It looks like slow shutter speed to me.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Yeah, I don't think it's being wide open that's the problem. These look like too slow of a shutter speed (or, possibly *gasp* shutter shock) to me.
  4. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    I agree with the other two assessments. The 45mm f1.8 is much sharper than that wide open.
  5. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    too shallow DOF?
  6. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    I'd be happy with those.

Otherwise stop down a step, bump up the ISO and maintain a decent shutter speed.
  7. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Where is the focus point in the photos? As tiny as the area may be, I bet it would be just as sharp as the later photos of the cat.

You shoot wide open but the distance between you and the subjects is pretty far. There is only one true in focus plane but at longer subject to camera distances the DOF increases. More importantly, subjects just beyond DOF go out of focus much more gradually. As such, it tricks your eyes into thinking the photo is not focused. Items/subjects that are just so ever slightly beyond DOF (acceptable sharpness) consume most of the frame. Your brain goes into overdrive trying to determine details that simply are barely noticeable.

In your later photos (cat), the subject distance is close and the background is very far. Things drop into OOF very quickly/drastically. Your brain doesn't work to try to figure out details in the background because it is "obviously" not there... Most of the subjects/items beyond DOF are not just "slightly" outside DOF, they are way beyond it... obviously no detail. Furthermore, you in focus subject consumes most of the frame. So your eyes are quickly drawn to it rather than "hunt" for focus as in your earlier frames.

This is why many "successful" photos shot with really fast lenses wide open generally have a single subject. It can be difficult to have more than one subject in this case. If for example a couple (male female) with typical portrait position of the male standing behind the female, shooting wide open with a good amount of subject distance can leave the female sharp as a tack but the male standing behind her, ever-so-slightly out of focus. If not possible to get more DOF to include both subjects, then try to get all the subjects in a single plane to focus on. In this scenario, the male can lean forward a little. Get familiar with how much DOF you have to work with.

For street / journalistic, I generally shoot down at f/4 to f/8.... "story telling apertures". For subject, I like shoot f/2.8. These are assuming FF. For m4/3, I am willing to open up a stop because of the smaller frame.

Honestly, considering the subject manner... I wouldn't be too upset over it.

PS> In the first photo, it looks like the focus plane runs at the guy standing behind with the pen in his yellow shirt. So the majority of the subjects at that table may be just in-front of the DOF. But it is so slightly OOF, that it "seems" like the majority of the frame is out of focus.
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1