Photo Processing

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by JSM, Sep 12, 2013.

1. JSM

JSM Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 12, 2013
    Newcastle, Australia
    With adobe making us enthusiasts pay professional prices on a monthly basis and also their avoidance of emails regarding options and questions in their licensing agreements. I am wondering if other processing options can make adobe regret becoming complacent.

I know Corel Photoshop X6 ultimate has been released and they are targeting the PS diverters however I have no experience with anything other then adobe.

Does any system beat or match the lightroom 5 and PS CS combination?

I have my doubts so may have to cave in to a company following the Telco's. Very sad.

JSM

2. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Well Lightroom 5 is pretty hard to beat in terms of value and functionality.

PS CC is a more serious expense in an unattractive payment structure.

If you already have CS6 you can simply refuse to join CC - I can assure you, you are not missing much and CS6 will have 98% of the functionality of PS going forward for a long time.

But really the easy answer is Photoshop Elements. This has 95% of the functionality of PS for 10% of the price. (and most of the other 5% can be bought as a plugin.)

If you use photoshop it is actually quite interesting to look at the differences between PS and PSE.

If you read carefully you will notice you hardly ever use the functions you are missing - I mean has anyone ever used subtract and divide blending modes in PS?

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1038467

Actually you will find that you use...
    Content aware 'fill', 'move' and 'extend' (well they are a lot of fun)
    Channels (maybe occasionally - actually you can add this functionality to PSE)

The reality is that most people who are complaining about the cost and method of PS payments are simply complaining because they are too lazy to switch to PSE. I am one of them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. RakSiam

RakSiam Mu-43 Regular

Oct 11, 2013
    Yeah, I agree that Elements can do a lot but people tend to overlook it because they don't think it's "professional" enough.

But I've been using DxO Optics Pro and really like it. It's easy to create your own presets. I used the standard version with my E-M5 files with good results. Now that I have an E-M1 I had to upgrade to the "elite" version.

But I am also finding the Olympus Viewer 3 does quite a good job on my E-M1 RAW files. The high ISO noise removal tool is fairly astounding.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. The Adobe Photographer's Bundle (CS + Lr) is $10 a month. How do you beat that? It's the best software in the world and always up to date with the latest features. Why even consider paying for a purchased package as long as this deal is available?

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. G1 User

G1 User Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 20, 2010
    ^^ agree... plus, that is the permanent rental fee now...

6. OldRadioGuy

OldRadioGuy Enthusiast Amateur

Nov 11, 2012
    Austin, Texas USA
    Bob
    +1

Adobe's business model has been adopted by Phase One for their raw converter product Capture One Pro: pay for a new version every two years or pay $10 a month. The total price is about the same either way.

And on1 says it's adding a monthly option, starting with the release of Perfect Photo Suite 9.5, scheduled for April.