Photo printer under $500

Discussion in 'Printing' started by Jeff Bennett, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Jeff Bennett

Jeff Bennett Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2011
    What should I look at?
  2. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

How big of prints do you want to make? For your price range you have 13x19 inch is probably going to be the biggest. At work we have a Canon Pixma Pro 9000 and I like it. This model has just been discontinued by Canon and so the few left out there may be on sale. Canon often has good rebates too. The new model that replaced the 9000 is the Pixma Pro-100.

At home I have a Canon Pixma MG8220. It is a multipurpose printer but does very well printing photos up to 8.5 x 11. It isn't quite the quality of the 9000 but comes a lot closer than I thought it would.
  3. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    I got the pro-9000 for $150 4 months ago.:rolleyes:
  4. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    I bought a Canon Pro9000 MK II with package of paper when they had a big rebate going last December. IIRC my net cost was around $130. The printer produces beautiful results, as good as any commercial print I have purchased.

Just this morning I saw that the successor model (I think) is now on sale with almost as good a deal: Canon PIXMA PRO-100 Color Professional Inkjet Photo Printer: CANON: Electronics

Apparently they make so much money on the ink cartridges ($80+ per set) that they can give away the printer and the paper. I have been on a frustrating hunt for aftermarket cartridges and have found the most of them aren't a very good color match to Canon. Photo Magenta is a particularly bad actor. I have just found these: Absolute Match C2 dye inks for Canon and, based on trying a bottle of the Photo Magenta I am optimistic that I have found my solution.
  5. Take a look at an Epson 1430. It prints up to 13" wide and usually sells for about $300. Sometimes you can find it for about $275 at Epson's clearance center. It uses six color cartridges which cost $20 each and since they only hold 10ml each, you use them fairly quickly. You can get refillable cartridges and inks from MIS or Cone that will take that part of your costs down to about 1/20 of what Epson gets - the Cone InkThrift CL is particularly attractive as it is a more durable ink. The quality of the prints from the 1430 is outstanding. It's a good offering for the cost.
  6. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Hard to ignore the PIXMA 100 with a free S110 for under $200 with current rebates.
  7. RakSiam

RakSiam Mu-43 Regular

Oct 11, 2013
    I have the original Canon Pro9000 and continue to get great results. But those 13x19 prints really do soak up the ink. I agree that the ink is not cheap, but I have never been tempted to go 3rd party. Hopefully they keep making the cartridges for a while. Would be a shame to have to replace this beast at some point for that reason.

The new Pro-100 uses a totally different ink set, but I expect that it also gives great results. Canon used to do a thing where you could upload an image and they would send you a print made on your choice of their printers. The website is still live so I guess they still do it If they are selling them for under $150 I think that's a great deal. I think I paid about $300 for my 9000 several years ago. These are HUGE, heavy machines though so make sure you have space.
  8. edwardconde

edwardconde Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    I bought the Pro-100 a few months ago on a crazy rebate deal through B&H. I got it for $99 after $300 rebate. Included 50 13x19 sheets also. Adorama seems to be the only one with that current deal.

The printer is great. I have already recommended it to a couple of my friends and they have also purchased the printers and just love them.
  9. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    I have the PRO 9000 Mk II and am a totally unrepentant cheapskate. As a result, I have tried aftermarket ink cartridges from a number of sources; Amazon, ClickInks, etc. All of these have been disappointing, consistently rendering a grayscale step tablet image with a slight but noticeable color tint. The bad actors seem to be the photo cyan and the photo magenta.

Then I found this ink: For a trial I bought their refill syringe kit and a 4 oz. bottle each of the photo magenta and photo cyan. As far as I can tell the "Absolute Match" claim is accurate. Prints using these inks with the other ink tanks being genuine Canon are indistinguishable from prints made using 100% Canon inks. My next step is going to be purchase of the other 6 colors and add them to my printer as Canon cartridges go dry.

So ... my experiment is not over but I am very optimistic that I have found the cheapskates' solution to Canon ink cartridge prices. YMMV, of course. :)
  10. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    I got in on that deal, too. I love mine except that I had to move around all of the furniture in my living room to accommodate. :rolleyes:
  11. dwkdnvr

dwkdnvr Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2012
    Another Pro-100 user here, and although I haven't printed too much with it, the test prints I've done have been great. I'm particularly impressed by very good out-of-the-box B+W prints. Still need to work on monitor-to-printer calibration though.

I haven't done any more than look at the web page, but based on a couple refs from DPR, this seems to be the refill kit that is recommended for the pro-100 if you're looking to try it
  12. Droogie

Droogie Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2013
    Washington State
    I have the Pixma MG7100 and absolutely love it. It is a great all in one plus does fabulous pictures. The neat thing is it fits exactly in the same space my previous ancient HP inkjet used to live. Great price too. Uses the same 6 cartridge set as the other Pixmas.
  13. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Had Canon 9500II and loved it. Gave it to a niece. Won a Pr0-100 in club raffle. Nice printer for the wife to do high end scrapbooking. I got a Pro-1 on ebay for $575 delivered. It was new and works like a dream. The B&Ws it can produce are amazing. Also got Canon ink on ebay for 1/3 of prices at most online stores. Canon Pro-1 and a selection of Moab paper and we are good to go.
  14. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

How . . . where ? I want one :cry: Wait, you men and Epson Pro 9000 right?