Photo Pricing Advice

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by zpierce, Jan 10, 2013.

1. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Zach
    This year I started selling some of my running race photos with reasonable success to help offset my gear costs. I priced them according to other similar services that offer shots of runners at races.

Yesterday, I posted some of my city skyline shots to my Facebook (from this thread https://www.mu-43.com/f42/late-omd-party-plus-requisite-first-photos-39253/) and an acquaintance said she needed some updated city shots for her real estate business (presumably for marketing materials) and asked how much I sell my work for. I have no idea how to price shots for commercial use. What is typical for this type of work / usage? (also realizing that this is likely a small business and a friend of a friend). Any advice on how I should go about pricing this sort of work? I'm not looking to make a killing or anything, but want to price my stuff reasonably / competitively for the type of market it is.

Thanks!
    ZP

2. Blotzphoto

Blotzphoto Mu-43 Regular

May 25, 2012
    Cincinnati
    Lou Doench
  3. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Not that I've ever sold a photo ...

Be coy and ask what's their budget and work on their terms. One persons reasonable is another outrageous and some elses steal. Situational value pricing I call it.