Photo Ninja

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by soundimageplus, Nov 13, 2013.

1. soundimageplus

soundimageplus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    • Like Like x 2
  2. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Yeah interesting. I am a huge fan of Photo Ninja and I am very surprised it isnt a lot more popular (although I guess you really need to use it 'in addition' to Lightroom).

Some of the algorithms are very effective. For instance it is the only raw converter that I know of that interpolates surrounding data to create detail in totally blown highlights.

One thing I would advise re-colors is to change the preset from default to 'neutral' or you might find the colors a bit vivid as a starting point.

Finally for any E-M1 users here is a 'color profile' for the E-M1 whose raw files are supported in PN but without a color profile.

https://www.hightail.com/download/OGhlYnUxT016NEtLRmNUQw

3. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    BTW as the whole 'it is the only raw converter that I know of that interpolates surrounding data to create detail in totally blown highlights' sounds like waffle, I will give a simple practical example.

Here is a shot from Lightroom with everything at default except highlights that are at -100%.

wedding_2_of_2_.

Now next I will show you the areas that Photo Ninja has used color recovery to add detail to the blown highlights.

Capture7.PNG

And this results in the same photo converted in Photo Ninja at default settings (shown below). Now there are quite a lot of differences between the photos but, as with many raw converters, these differences are in effect pretty trivial because you can make the PN version look like LR and vice versa. However you cant do anything about the blown highlights in LR to recover them like PN, while you can make PN blow them like Lightroom.

wedding_1_of_2_.

Now if you cant see the difference because the photo is too small, it probably isnt worth worrying about in the first place.

• Like Like x 1
  4. soundimageplus

soundimageplus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    'it is the only raw converter that I know of that interpolates surrounding data to create detail in totally blown highlights'

Thanks for pointing that out. As I said in my piece I'm a recent convert and still learning it. Another good reason to use it.

5. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    Thanks, soundimageplus. I follow your blog religiously and find it to be honest, informative, educative and refreshing. I have never commented or thanked you there, as I don't do social networks, so good to catch you here.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I thought I read in the advertising blurb when the latest paintshop/adobe-something came out that it included some kind of blown-highlight-recovery feature along the same lines ...? Maybe.
    Anyone else remember the hype there?

Edit: it was hype for Photoshop CS6 I think, the implications were close to your example with the leaves here. Maybe they didn't actually implement it in the commercial version? Maybe the highlights slider does it anyway?

7. chipbutty

chipbutty Mu-43 Veteran

I trialled Photo Ninja in January and thought it was excellent. Far better than Lr in terms of rendering detail and colour separation. It also seemed to display light in a really natural way compared Lr. I just can't justify spending that much money though when I wouldn't be using it all the time. It's very expensive. But I do keep getting tempted.