Photo Ninja - Color Profile - E-M1

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by robbie36, Nov 5, 2013.

1. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    rob collins
    Below you will find a link to a color profile for the E-M1 and Photo Ninja.

It is not an official color profile but I imagine that will be along shortly.

Rather like Lightroom, Photo Ninja provides preliminary support for the E-M1 but hasnt yet provided a color profile. Unlike Lightroom (at the moment) you can create your own (with LR you seem unable to use the one you create). But again, it wont be long before LR provides an update.

start Photo Ninja
    open the menu item: Image -> Manage profiles...
    Select Install profiles
    Navigate to your downloaded profile

Obviously not that many people use Photo Ninja but I use it from within LR and find it a lot better with most shots than LR - although LR has much better workflow management. You can always download a trial and give it a test run if you wish to use RAW conversion before the updates arrive to your raw converter.

Finally just to show you the raw conversions

This is the out of camera jpeg....

This is a PN default conversion using the color profile

And this is the LR conversion based on preliminary support that doesnt have the correct color profile
    [​IMG] you can see the reds can be a problem

P.S. In PN you can choose various color presets to use with the color profile - I suggest you use 'neutral' - when you install PN 'portrait I believe is set as default.
  2. bcaslis

bcaslis Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2011
    Wilsonville, OR, USA
    Brian Caslis
    Thanks for the profile. Did you create this? Photo Ninja looks very impressive. I've tried making profiles in it from Colorchecker passport images and the colors are way off. But this profile looks pretty good. Just trying to figure out what I am doing wrong.
  3. tomO2013

tomO2013 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Hi Robbie,

the link to this colour profile has expired.

Is there any chance that you could make this available again... I'm really looking forward to trying this out...

4. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    rob collins
    I think this should work.

PM me if it doesnt.
  5. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Is the color blocking in the OOC jpg en LR edit visible in the full-res versions, or is it just my (not so hot) Macbook Air screen? I've got a trial version of PN installed, not quite worked out how to work the adjustments, but it looks quite promising for landscape stuff with wide DR in particular. Prefer DxO for general work...
  6. tomO2013

tomO2013 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    It works great. Thanks so much Robbie.

Your images are spectacular and I love the skin tones that your color profile gives images in PhotoNinja.

One area that I did notice that doesn't quite come out the way I would like is the pinks which sometimes come out slightly over saturated with this profile. I noticed it really when using the natural profile in photo ninja and shooting an image of some flowers the pink saturation has a tenancy to obfuscate detail. Easily fixed though.
  7. Siran

Siran Mu-43 Rookie

May 12, 2014
    Southampton, UK
  8. Ranger Rick

Ranger Rick Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    Tempe, AZ
    I'd appreciate it too! Just starting to use Photo Ninja.