Photo Ninja and u4/3 lenses distortion correction

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by iruediger, Jan 5, 2014.

1. iruediger

iruediger New to Mu-43

Nov 12, 2012
    Although powerful, I find PN's distortion correction tool a bit cumbersome to use.

Can PN make use of :43: lenses distortion correction information? If not, does anyone know where I can find :43: lens profiles for PN?

Thanks.

2. Huelight

Huelight Mu-43 Regular

Aug 15, 2011
    Have you tried PTLENS? This will correct the distortion outside of PN but works well.

3. iruediger

iruediger New to Mu-43

Nov 12, 2012
    Never heard of it, until now. I'll give it a try.

Thanks!

Sent from my RM-915_lta_brazil_209 using Tapatalk

4. OldRadioGuy

OldRadioGuy Enthusiast Amateur

Nov 11, 2012
    Austin, Texas USA
    Bob
    I find that DxO's ViewPoint 2 is much better than PTLens for my system -- E-M1 and E-M5. For automatic correction, it asks for the location of the original raw file. Manual correction still available if your camera-lens combination is not part of their database.

Here's a suggestion from another group for making your own profile: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51300456

I do agree with you that Photo Ninja's distortion tool is cumbersome, but that conversion tool is not about speed, it's about quality. Did you email Picture Code, asking about your problem? I've found they're very responsive to inquiries, perhaps no solution, but at least they will respond promptly.

Bob

5. iruediger

iruediger New to Mu-43

Nov 12, 2012
    Hi Bob,

I've followed your advice and dropped an e-mail to Picture Code, they were indeed very responsive. According to the person who answered my inquiry, the manufacturers have not published the metadata specifications for the lens correction data. Also, it's not entirely clear if the correction models they use are compatible with the algorithms in Photo Ninja.

My best bet is to create a custom profile (thanks for the link!) or fork some money for DxO's ViewPoint 2 or PTLens.

6. hayday

hayday New to Mu-43

Sep 17, 2014
    LensTool from Jaliko is another (new) software tool for distortion correction. It looks similar to PTLens but it allows the user to calibrate their own lenses, rather than relying on any existing database of lens profiles. I guess this is particularly useful for less popular lenses.

Both of these programs have a free trial so might be worth checking out.