1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Photo locations in Australia - any advice?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by prophet, Nov 7, 2014.

1. prophet

prophet Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2014
    I will be travelling around Australia next August, and am starting to plan the trip. The rough outline so far is: fly to Alice Springs, hire a car, drive up north to Darwin (will include a visit to Kakadu National Park). Then somehow travel through Queensland. Will be spending some time in and around Melbourne, and might make a trip to Tasmania.

So question to anyone Down-Under or who has been there: are the any specific locations along this route you can recommend? Any locations I can avoid? And of course any advice you can share that may help take some great picture of a great country.

Thanks!

2. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    what is your route in QLD?

3. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    First off, Tasmania I an absolute photographer's haven, if you like landscape, historical, nature photography, you could stop just about every 10m and get an interesting photograph in Tasmania. There's no point in even suggesting specific places, as photographs are everywhere. I would almost suggest that you start in Tasmania and work your way up, as leaving it till last may fill you with much regret.

As for Melbourne (Victoria), the environment is different in many ways to Tasmania, even though it's so close, as it tends to have a drier climate.

Both Tasmania and Victoria are relatively compact and packed with photo opportunities; whereas, up north you'll be travelling great distances between locations, which can be very interesting, but they suck up enormous amounts of time and energy.

Finally, you'll be travelling in our winter, so the north will be far more pleasant weather wise, but that adds quite a bit of interest to the southern states, especially Tasmania.

Here's some stuff from a few of my many visits to the Apple Isle: http://www.australianimage.com.au/tasmania1.htm, http://www.australianimage.com.au/tasmania2.htm, http://www.australianimage.com.au/Cradle_Mountain/index.html.

• Like Like x 1
  4. prophet

prophet Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2014
    Thanks, OzRay! So, do you think Tassy is good even in August? I thought at that time of year it might not be the best idea, so I was planning more towards the north, but you seem to think differently?

hazwing: I haven't decided on a route for Queensland, yet, so still open to any suggestions.

5. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I've been to Tasmania in summer and winter and times between. There really isn't a bad time of year to go, as it's the weather that makes for often interesting photography. There will be some places that aren't accessible because of the possible snow and you do need to be prepared for rain, but it still leaves an enormous area to cover and there are less tourists about, which gives you more room to move. Tasmania also concentrates most of our history into one compact state, so there's lots of historical places about, such as Port Arthur, which is infamous for many reasons.

Most advertising of Australia always seems to focus on the north, trying to sell it's weather, beaches and outback, but neglects many other very interesting parts of the country, assuming that overseas tourists are only interested in the former. Going north in august will find you amongst thousands of others, including Australia's grey nomads migrating north for the winter, and prices etc everywhere will be at a premium because of the peak crowds.

If colder weather doesn't bother you, then a good starting point would be Tasmania and leaving your options open. I wouldn't advocate starting in the north and then going to Tasmania, as the temperature difference going from hot to cold will not make things pleasant for you. People say that you can see Tasmania in a week, but I've been there around a dozen times so far, with each visit being at least a week and I have still only scratched the surface. And the people in Tasmania have always been the most friendliest that I've ever encountered anywhere in Australia.

• Like Like x 1
  6. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    There really is no end of landscape photographic opportunities here, there will generally be something quite breathtaking within an hour or two's drive out of any city. As someone who currently lives in Sydney, I can say that once your here and you've ticked off the obligatory Sydney Harbour Bridge/Opera House, etc etc, drive out south of Sydney about an hour or two down the Princess Highway and turn off and drive down a spectacular forest laden hill to a place called Thirroul. From there, you can drive back to Sydney through the Royal National Park, stopping off at places like Audley Weir and Wattamolla. Doing this, you can quite easily stop off every ten minutes with the camera. There are also lots of fantastic places to photograph out west of Sydney like Kangaroo Valley or Berrima/ nearby waterfall. And while the Blue Mountains are a tad over rated, the surrounding areas are very picturesque. I do find Bondi Beach very over rated though so don't go expecting anything too great there.

Away from landscapes, Melbourne for me, is the most interesting mix of people, food, architecture and more, plus the famed two seasons of weather every day most times during the year - this will reflected in the photos you take when you're there.