Photo ideas for Oct. in Atlanta

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by dancebert, Aug 14, 2016.

1. dancebert

dancebert Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 18, 2014
    Hua Hin, Thailand
    I'm house sitting near Emory University in Atlanta for almost all of Oct. Never been to Atlanta, so I'm looking for advice from locals about where to shoot. I'll have 2 main limitations. I'm limited to public transportation and I can do stairs and hills only in small doses.

Here is a mash of what I do and don't like shooting and appealing ideas I've found on the net. Street no, candid yes. Flash no, ambient light yes. Astro no, Night yes, e.g. Jackson Street bridge and North Avenue bridge. Night skylines, but not Atlanta's unless it's reflected, e.g. Lake Clara Meer. Daytime outdoor events Yes, e.g. Art on the Atlanta Beltline, Elevate: Microcosm and Taste of Atlanta. Nothing requiring a lens longer than 200mm (FF). Mirrorless captures action poorly, but I'd like to try it on kids baseball, e.g. NYO Sports fall league play. Still and moving water yes, e.g. Lullwater Preserve. Boats and markets yes, but where?

Except for my 'no interests', I'd like to hear about your favorite places for what you like to shoot, even if it's just wandering with camera.

2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi, I haven't been in Atlanta since I was a teenager, but...

Boats: there are some very small lakes in the city, but I wouldn't expect much more than Sabots and Rowboats, at best. The real lakes nearby are Allatoona and Lanier, which are not accessible by MARTA.

It looks like there's a moderate lake around the base of Stone Mountain; I don't remember that but it should be reachable.

Lake Clara Meer is in Piedmont Park; I don't see any boats but lots of nice pics.

Markets: Underground Atlanta may be interesting (I've never been), but you'll need a fast prime lens or do longer exposures (blur/motion).

iirc, there were some big flea markets there in the past, and there's some nice malls.

Barry

3. kauphymug

kauphymug Mu-43 Regular

May 1, 2015
    Cowford, Florida
    Lived right around the corner from Emory for 35 years. The High Museum of art has exhibit of Thomas Struth, German Photographer mid Oct
    the Georgia Aquarium according to some is largest in U.S. and has every critter that ever played in the water and offers excellent photo ops.
    Like Barry said Stone Mt is a day trip but not far from Emory. I climbed it before it was a park and the carving wasn't finished. There is a cable car to take you to top now and on a clear day you can see miles and miles of ....nothing. Lots of photo ops, candids, at and around the base. The campus at Emory should offer a lot of opportunities.
    Underground, sorry Barry, actually under the viaducts ain't where you want to go unless you can get rats to pose for you.

4. SVENS1

SVENS1 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 11, 2013
    Canada
    Atlanta aquarium is a pretty nice place to play with your camera, Fish, animals, people, etc.
    aq92. aq89. aq44. aq64.

5. dancebert

dancebert Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 18, 2014
    Hua Hin, Thailand
    Thanks. I didn't have much hope for boats, but had to ask.

I don't think I'll ever go. But thanks for the tip, without it I might have wandered in while nearby. I've never seen such disparity between descriptions on civic booster sites and reviews by visitors. But the story is interesting. Sounds like the historical relic aspect was quite appealing when first opened. After declining, closing for 6 years then being trashed by squatters, the city of Atlanta bought it, with the almost inevitable consequences. Now? A developer wants to buy the land and build at the same level as the surrounding downtown but can't raise the money.

6. king_solom0n

king_solom0n Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2015
    Atlanta's best hiking trails - our top 10 favorite hikes

I don't know if Marta can get you to most of those places though. For some reason, a lot of counties down here don't like Marta to expand so your options of places will be limited. Most of the places I like to photograph at least 20-30 minutes outside of the city. Decatur is right next to Atlanta. Its downtown area is pretty nice. You might find something there to photograph.

7. king_solom0n

Jun 9, 2015
    Forgot to mention Atlantic Station and Five Points (and Little Five Points). For markets, you have Krog Street Market, Sweet Auburn Curb Market, Dekalb Farmers (in Decatur), and the Atlanta State Farmers Market in Forest Park.

8. kauphymug

kauphymug Mu-43 Regular

May 1, 2015
    Cowford, Florida
    Almost forgot. You have an obligatory stop at the Varsity across from Ga. Tech on North Ave. Stop and get some antacids then order 2 cheese chili dogs, a ring and a F.O.
    Worlds largest drive and was Elvis Presley's favorite spot when he was in town. Frank Gordy founded it after not doing so good at Tech he died a number years ago.
    To bad KEH closed their retail store on 10th street that was a candy store.

• Like Like x 1
  9. king_solom0n

Jun 9, 2015
    There's Showcase Inc and the Best Buy in Buckhead has the camera experience which contains a bunch of different cameras and lenses.

10. captevo

captevo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 14, 2012
    wow lot of us from Atlanta here.
    How about a meetup some time? :)
    I live in Jonesboro, but work downtown.

11. king_solom0n

Jun 9, 2015
    Sounds like a good idea. I'm in Riverdale and work in Decatur.

12. skellington

skellington Mu-43 Regular

Mar 4, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Keith
    I'm following for ideas. I'm a mostly newbie up in Roswell, work in Duluth.

13. dancebert

dancebert Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 18, 2014
    Hua Hin, Thailand
    So that's what my friend meant by 'food halls'. Does Google Translate do Atl <-> Cali? :)

14. dancebert

dancebert Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 18, 2014
    Hua Hin, Thailand
  15. dancebert

dancebert Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 18, 2014
    Hua Hin, Thailand
    Thanks. Those are both easy to reach from where I'll be staying.