1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Photo hosting websites.

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by scottz, Jul 11, 2011.

1. scottz

scottz Mu-43 Regular

Jun 18, 2011
    Littleton, CO
    I've been thinking about signing up on one of the photo hosting sites like Photobucket or flicker, but I have some concerns over the rights to the files I upload. Which sites are the safest?

2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Most are safe. Eg: Flickr, Smugmug, Zenfolio, PBase, to name a few.

• Like Like x 1
  3. simonz

simonz Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2010
    New England
    Do any of these photo hosting sites retain EXIF information? When I click on photos hosted by Flicker, the EXIF info is stripped. This is frustrating as I would like to seem some details about the photos and share the same with mine.

4. Flickr doesn't strip exif data by default, although there may be a setting that allows you to do this. If you click on "Actions" above each image you will be able to see the exif data if it exists.

Example

Flickr does not assume copyright over any image hosted on their site, unlike facebook for instance, although like anything as soon as it is posted to the internet it could be used by someone else without your knowledge.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    All of those sites retain EXIF.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Flickr doesn't strip it, but it allows you not to show it (you can still see it, but nobody else can). It gives you several privacy options - for example you can allow others to download your photos. Or not. I personally appreciate this customizability.

-Ray

7. jim_khoo

jim_khoo Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 9, 2010
    Kuala Lumpur
    hi Ray,
    which command on flickr allows the EXIF not to be shown?
    thanks.

Ray,
    got it!, thanks.

8. leonberdi

leonberdi Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2011
    Montreal
    My one issue with Flikr is the lack of a black background. I find the presentation of the photographs in white rather blah...

9. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    go to "Your account", then to the privacy and permission tab and voila.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    there are some flickr 'apps' that will display flickr on a black background. ALternatively, you can hit your "L" key on a photo's page to view it large on a gray background. Frankly a black screen should be the default on a photo sharing website.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Even without going to another app, just click on a photo in Flickr to get to the main page for that photo, and then click it again. it will show up on a black background at about 1024x??? or its largest size if the largest is smaller than that. You still have forward and backward navigation keys to flip through your photos in that larger format on a black background. Its not the default view (probably because they want to give you various options and commands on the main screen for each photo), but a black background is exactly one click away.

-Ray

• Like Like x 1
  12. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    Ok - I'm admittedly a Google+ convert. The synergy between G+ and Picasa is fantastic, and what's best, you have at the moment *no upload quota*. Yes that's right. If you embed pics into a message, it ends in a folder that do not count as upload space in Picasa. If you just want to keep those pics to yourself, create an empty circle and just post your message to this circle, you'll be the only one able to see it - and your image.

This is simply great.

Cheers,

13. More than just a simple photo hosting site, I prefer Flickr as a sharing and viewing site. I would spend more time there than any other photographic website. If you're only looking for hosting, Photobucket also now has a free unlimited storage quota.

• Like Like x 1
  14. I think this is a fair criticsm of the default flickr page, which along with the convenience of not continuously clicking is probably why flickriver and fluidr et al, have become popular, especially when they also allow you to comment, favourite and check image info within the same interface. I've read a few debates where some complain that these apps don't register "views" on your image, but the images that I upload to flickr are primarily for me to view wherever I am. If my contacts or groups view them and like them, great! I don't rate my images by number of views.

15. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Cooliris works great with Flickr, takes a little getting used to it's operation but once you get it it's fine. And you can customize its background to whatever you want.