1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Photo help: editing free for all

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by acercanto, May 12, 2012.

1. acercanto

acercanto Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2011
    SW VA, USA
    Well, I'm a mostly-lurker, and I've learned so much on here, but now I have a request. I took the following photo at my roommate's graduation ceremony, and I feel it has potential, but I don't know how to treat it to really make it pop.
    I've tried a few things in Picasa (I don't have PS or anything other than Gimp, never have really gotten into heavy editing, other than HDR), and they have come out quite nice, but I figured I'd see what all y'all gurus could see in it.

7180222478_f323c8736a_b.
    Color guard - Original, SOOC by acercanto, on Flickr
    And here's a few of the treatments I've applied:
    7180219954_a78431201d.
    Color guard - Sepia, then B&W by acercanto, on Flickr. I like how this one brings the soldiers out of the back/foreground, and is probably my favorite of the bunch. It seems to need a bit of sharpening more than the Lomo, which is my second favorite.

7180219180_c25b349f1c.
    Color guard - Filtered B&W, Blue by acercanto, on Flickr. This one doesn't separate the soldiers as much, but seems a bit sharper.

7180218372_1c6156135c.
    Color guard - Lomo by acercanto, on Flickr. On this one, I really like how much the flags stand out with the saturation, and the saturation doesn't sacrifice too much detail, while the vignetting hides the brighter area on the left edge.

7180217712_d2e203b585.
    Color guard - Boost colors by acercanto, on Flickr. This one is pretty similar to the Lomo one, but the left edge is too bright, and the saturation is too much.

Basically, this is my first attempt at "artistic" photography. Historically (relatively speaking, of course), I have always tried to recreate as closely what my eyes saw, regarding sharpness, lighting, and such; so this is quite a leap for me.
    Any comments or suggestions would be most appreciated.

Acer

2. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Hereswhat I'd do in SNAPSEED
    As I'm out of town and only have my iPad... Lol

- Eliot

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  3. jalex

jalex Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    Jane
    I like it a lot just the way it is!

• Like Like x 1
  4. acercanto

acercanto Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2011
    SW VA, USA
    Thanks for the help, Eliot! I like how you did the first one. That's kinda what I'm going for.

@Jane, I do too, but this one spoke to me for some reason. It just feels like it's missing that one little thing.
    I usually toss photos like these as duds because they're not sharp. Heck, I usually don't even attempt them because I know it's too dark for a crisp shot, but the last Salon challenge, Motion, got me motivated to try some panning shots and I've made a little bit of progress.

Well, back to messing around with pictures. I got some more pics to play with this evening attending my gf's daughter's junior prom ceremony. Fading light, the 20/1.7 and 45-200. Nice combo.

Acer

5. OldAlaskan

OldAlaskan Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 6, 2010
    Here is my take on it (months after the fact). I basically, desaturated and darkened it radially, applied a zoom blur, brightened and sharpened the soldiers. Insert Photos and Images

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  6. jim_khoo

jim_khoo Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 9, 2010
    Kuala Lumpur
    with PhotoScape
    7201495264_2ec644e0cd_b.

• Like Like x 1