1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Photo gear shop's horrible websites

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Armanius, Sep 24, 2011.

1. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    In my search of the ever illusive 45/1.8 and PL25, I decided to check out the websites of non-BH/Adorama sized camera shops authorized to sell Pany and Oly products. Talk about bad websites! The biggest problems I found on these websites are:

- Old information and products!! EPL1 is not a newly released camera folks!

- Products are not listed in the site. Only brands are listed and if customer needsninfo, then gotta call.

- Can't search or buy products online.

- Search engine did not work properly.

- Misinfomation. $899 for EP3 is not discounted!

- Butt ugly and badly designed websites.

I wonder why camera shops apparently have not caught up with the rest of other retailers when it comes to internet sales and marketing. After all, digital cameras and products are still technology driven products. I'd figure that shops would want to maximize their potential sales.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Some brick stores probably can't afford it. Some places have terrible websites, but excellent stores.

3. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    Bricks and mortar stores FTW!

4. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    someone that LOVES working there needs to volunteer to learn some web design ;) hehe

5. If they ignore the internet, maybe it will go away...

• Like Like x 1
  6. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    That does seem to be the attitude towards internet sales of the local camera shops here in Houston. Instead of retooling to compete, I hear grumblings.

7. Remoteness and exclusive supply arrangements have long been the friend of Australian businesses. The dot com bust only served to confirm that internet sales weren't important for a retailer. These days it is newer established online retailers who have the best online presence, and the established retailers are both playing catch-up and complaining to anyone who'll listen at the same time. The current figures show that online sales here are still quite low, however.

8. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I think the added expense of a constantly updated nice website can really be a burden to the a small local camera shop. I think it's amazing that they survive at all with the big box stores and online retailers eating away at the margins on the gear side and developing (which had long been where the profits were) becoming nearly a novelty.

I use camera store websites to check current prices, but would much rather purchase locally. And I could care less what my local shops website looked like. Frankly, I'd rather that they didn't have one at all and keep their overhead lower. I'm not sure what info I would want from a local retailer's website that I couldn't find laid out more clearly on some other website anyway.

9. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Creating a webpage is one thing...

Creating an online point of sale is an entirely different undertaking.... (Friend of mine tried for a small project business and it was a royal PITA plus the fear of only money exchange really deterred him)

My local shop doesn't even have an online catalog... I simply call them and ask.

10. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    If the only target of a local shop is the local people, then you might be able to get away with not having a well designed and informative web presence. While a select few locals may not care about local pricing vs. internet prices, it's my opinion that the typical buyer will keep turning more and more to the internet not only to find the best pricing, but availability as well.

11. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    LOL!

Funniest radio commercial I ever heard (this was years ago) was an obviously old timer with a local business, giving you their 1-800 number, so you can call them, and they'll tell you their web site address!

12. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    LOL!!

There was this one TV commercial for ITT in which they talk about teaching the latest computer technology and then show some guy using a 5 1/4" floppy disk!!

13. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Mark
    My favourite ever web site story was of the CEO who on being shown his company's new home page instructed his PA to print it out and post it to all their customers straight away. Probably apocryphal.