Photo Challenge: [September 2015] - All about having fun with your camera

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by Aushiker, Sep 1, 2015.

1. Aushiker

Aushiker Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 12, 2014
    Fremantle, Western Australia
    Andrew
    Continuing on from the great work of @ManofKent and @NoSeconds and the Monthly POTD Challenge and following the discussion in the August thread we are here again in spring (or fall).

The purpose of this challenge is to encourage and motivate us to get out and shoot and to share our work with the others in the group. Ideally that would be daily, but we appreciate that life gets in the way so a few times a week or just on the weekend is just as okay. No one is judging or keeping count; rather the aim is to encourage you in your photography.

All are most welcome to participate.

Copying and pasting the "rules":

Images may be straight out of camera JPEGs or manipulated to your heart's content. Pushing yourself past your normal comfort levels is encouraged.
    • Try to post a single shot (of ANY subject) taken each day, or every few days or once a week or as often as works for you during the challenge. If you miss a day (or a week), don't worry, no one is judging you. The idea here is to get folks out and making pictures, not to play lunchroom monitor.
    • Since this is a :mu43: forum, images shot with :mu43: equipment are encouraged, but this is not strictly a requirement.
    • Most importantly: HAVE FUN!
    • Add the date you took the photo and if at all possible, try and post within 48hrs of taking the shot.
    • Provide equipment details and find circumstances behind the shot / photographers thoughts interesting, but as with all the "rules" these aren't mandatory!
    Regards
    Andrew

• Like Like x 3
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 2
  2. Aushiker

Sep 12, 2014
    Andrew
    September 1, 2015 - Love at Indianas (Formerly the Indiana Tea House), Cottesloe Beach, Western Australia

20871364370_a054aeda04_b.
    Love @ Indianas by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

Andrew

• Like Like x 14
  3. spdavies

spdavies Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 9, 2013
    Hawaii
    Stephen
    September 1 - Sleepy Mimosa
    EP511972a_SPDWeb.

Olympus E-P5 | M.Zuiko 12-50 (Macro mode)

Irritating weed with painful little thorns, but quite pretty when you look close.
    Also does that neat trick (for a plant) of snapping its leaves closed when touched.

Hello, September!

• Like Like x 10
  4. NoSeconds

NoSeconds Mu-43 All-Pro

Tuesday
    September 1, 2015

This is how I spent my morning, flying home from a single day training course in Perth. The subject was Electrical Compliance and consisted of finding out just exactly how badly you will be crucified if you are found to be non-compliant with any of the Electrical Standards/Acts/Regs or codes of practice...
    The short answer was "Completely"... :hide:

The good part was after knockoff, we headed out to make sure the Belgium Beer Café was still in operation and the quality and service was still commensurate with our high standards. :biggrin:

Then after a few hours of this rigorous process we made our way to The Generous Squire for some dinner and a few pints of their Porter, to wash it all down...

I managed a few snaps of some street art along the way too, in between beers, but I'll post them in the appropriate thread...

Olympus E-PM1 P14 f/2.5
    P8302373_zpsdogsixhp.

• Like Like x 7
  5. NoSeconds

NoSeconds Mu-43 All-Pro

Wednesday
    2nd September, 2015

A quick glimpse of my world from this mornings job at the Harding Dam near Roebourne in the Pilbara Region of Western Australia. This site has a Microfiltration Treatment Plant to maintain water quality and is one of two sources for the towns of Karratha, Dampier, Wickham, Point Sampson and Roebourne. The plant is offline at the moment, due to the high costs of running but we are changing the operational process to reduce the amount of chemical treatment and power consumption to deliver the water into the scheme...

The plant will never be decommissioned though, owing to the fact that our other source, a borefield on the Millstream Aquifer is delivered to the scheme via a 150km pipeline that is prone to damage during our yearly cyclone events and the associated massive flooding. Thus making the redundancy offered by the relatively bomb proof plant essential to the region...

Olympus E-PM1 P20 f/1.7
    P9012376_zpseevo7bqy.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
    • Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Aushiker

Sep 12, 2014
    Andrew
    September 2, 2015. I haven't noticed this tower before and now it has me intrigued. Not a great photo but will have to do for today.

Intriguing Tower by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

Andrew

• Like Like x 4
  7. spdavies

Apr 9, 2013
    Hawaii
    Stephen
    September 2
    EM111914a_SPDWeb.

Olympus E-M1 | M.Zuiko 40-150 2.8

Shorebreak from a near-miss hurricane . . .

• Like Like x 12
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. NoSeconds

NoSeconds Mu-43 All-Pro

Great shot mate! Is that SOOC...?

Just wondering whether it would be too much trouble for you to vertically mirror your photos so us Stray'lans don't have to keep flipping our devices upside down to view them...? It's getting a bit ridiculous with my 29" monitor...

• Funny Funny x 3
  9. spdavies

Apr 9, 2013
    Hawaii
    Stephen
    No, not SOOC - I shoot Raw and then do standard exposure/contrast/saturation adjustments in Adobe Camera Raw.
    Sometimes something a little more complicated in Photoshop but I'm not very good at that yet.
    And I'd be happy to flip the photo for you, but then the water would all fall into the sky and ruin my picture.
    Have you tried standing on your head?

• Funny Funny x 3
  10. NoSeconds

NoSeconds Mu-43 All-Pro

I'll give it a go tonight but dunno if it would be feasible as I'm afraid of heights and suffer from vertigo...

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. summerkl

summerkl Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2010
    Vancouver
    Kevin L
    Out for a walk today testing my recent acquisition, Oly 35mm 1.8 on my recently acquired e-m1

nLA5c5mbrRU2JxjYTMk_opnqon9ea55On2UmEK6sfG0=w2294-h1323-no.

• Like Like x 10
  12. summerkl

summerkl Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2010
    Vancouver
    Kevin L
    OK - if anyone knows how to link a smaller image from Google Photos - I will gladly do so ... Sorry

13. spdavies

Apr 9, 2013
    Hawaii
    Stephen
    Nice shot - it's good to see Canadians are catching up to the latest science . . .

Of course, here in the United States, our politicians have evolved beyond that -
    they don't need science at all, anymore - just the Bible and a lot of gullible voters.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    NoSeconds, since you brought it up...

This object is one of the many 10,000s of thousands placed in Tyree Guyton's The Heidelberg Project. About The Heidelberg Project.
    21033281711_ac4f2d757a_o.
    cru·ci·fy
    by Chrome Dome, on Flickr

I have cheated. This image was shot several days ago but I use it as a segway to share with those of us that are "Challenged".

I visited Detroit last week. I explored only a fraction of it, though I witnessed a landscape of endless miles of desolation, destruction, and despair.However it was often punctuated with pockets of survival, hope, and revival. There are large expanses of various levels of stability and even vitality, but I think none have been spared from the the shadows. Much investment is occurring, rebuilding the infrastructure, building new and restoring old structures.

The people are amazing. Constantly those from every walk of life greeted me, and occasionally engage me in conversation. Enormous numbers of folks in inner city neighborhoods and business districts wore clothing sporting upbeat Detroit slogans.

I can’t conceptualize or verbalize the many feelings and thoughts that overwhelm me as I try to understand. For me Tyree Guyton’s Heidelberg Project provides some context for me to begin. I'm trying to distill and catalog more than a thousand photos in hopes of presenting my feelings. I am starting uploading "out-of-context" images to Flickr

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
    • Like Like x 5
  15. rmcnelly

rmcnelly Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 21, 2015
    Portsmouth, VA
    This morning's view from work. GX8 jpeg edited on the iPhone.

eb318027de997ba6f48e04663979b8a3.

• Like Like x 6
  16. NoSeconds

NoSeconds Mu-43 All-Pro

Thursday
    3rd September 2015

Today while servicing a radio repeater I kept hearing an intermittent buzzing noise that sounded a bit like electrical arcing. When I downed tools to investigate I busted this vile little beastie digging a hole to conduct it's nefarious business in, under a bush nearby...

I'm not sure of it's proper name but it's one of those wasps that paralyses a spider (usually 10 times bigger than itself) and jams it in a hole in the ground before laying it's eggs in it so the baby wasps have a hot meal upon hatching. I can't really think of a worse way to go...

The evil looking little bastid kept giving me the hairy eyeball every time I moved a little closer to get a better shot. I noticed when it finished it had returned the dig site back to its original state, complete with gravel scattered back over the top so it was hard to tell that the ground had even been disturbed...

On another note, the pics are SOOC jpegs and I'm continually impressed with the colours and contrast from the cheap little Sigma.

OM-D EM-1 S60 f/2.8
    image.

image.

• Like Like x 10
  17. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    A tarantula hawk, probably... Btw, they have the second most painful sting in the world.

Barry

• Like Like x 1
  18. summerkl

summerkl Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2010
    Vancouver
    Kevin L
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
    • Like Like x 9
  19. spdavies

Apr 9, 2013
    Hawaii
    Stephen
    September 3 - The Watcher . . .
    EM121865e_SPDWeb.

Olympus E-M1 | M.Zuiko 40-150 2.8

• Like Like x 13
    • Winner Winner x 2
  20. Aushiker

Sep 12, 2014
    Andrew
    I think I have come across one of these a few days ride out of Esperance along the coast heading towards Hopetoun. It was dragging the spider to its hole. I tried to photograph it but by the time I grabbed the camera it was into the shade and the photos didn't really work out.

Andrew