Photo Challenge [August 2015]: Happy Birthday Mr Ed

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by Aushiker, Aug 1, 2015.

1. Aushiker

Aushiker Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 12, 2014
    Fremantle, Western Australia
    Andrew
    Continuing on from the great work of @ManofKent and @NoSeconds@NoSeconds and the Monthly POTD Challenge, I'm starting another one for August in recognition of all the Mr Eds in the world and their birthdays on August 1 (Australia at least) ... :biggrin:

Copying and pasting the "rules":
    • Try to post a single shot (of ANY subject) taken each day during the challenge. If you miss a day (or a week), don't worry, no one is judging you. The idea here is to get folks out and making pictures, not to play lunchroom monitor.
    • Since this is a :mu43: forum, images shot with :mu43: equipment are encouraged, but this is not strictly a requirement. If you happen to sneak the occasional iPhone, RX100, XT-1 or A7 image in there you will be flogged mercilessly with a frillneck lizard.
    • Images may be straight out of camera JPEGs or manipulated to your heart's content. Pushing yourself past your normal comfort levels is encouraged.
    • Most importantly: HAVE FUN!
    • Add the date you took the photo and if at all possible, try and post within 48hrs of taking the shot.
    • Provide equipment details and find circumstances behind the shot / photographers thoughts interesting, but as with all the "rules" these aren't mandatory!

2. Aushiker

Sep 12, 2014
    Andrew
    August 1, 2015 ... in between swimming lessons, car shopping ... apparently we started out the day with Anne going to buy a "cute" Fiat 500c ... I think we are no longer doing that, well till tomorrow, I got 1/2 hour to sneak in a little photography :) Spotted this abandon house not far from home and right in the middle of a rather affluent area of East Fremantle and very close to the banks of the Swan River.

20194261345_bda06151d4_b.
    The Catholic Pastoral Centre of Our Lady of the Mission by Andrew, on Flickr

Andrew

• Like Like x 2
  3. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Andrew -Thanks for starting the August Challenge

Saturday, August 1, 2015

Ciné Kodak Anastigmat 63mm f2.7
    19585349693_106652d7b6_o.
    Untitled portrait
    of a photo journalist. by Chrome Dome, on Flickr

• Like Like x 4
  4. Aushiker

Sep 12, 2014
    Andrew
    August 2, 2015 .... Lesson for today ... [context: I live in Western Australia] going down to the beach to shoot ships being berthed off-shore when the sun is setting in the west is not smart; something to do with light :) Thankfully being an industrial area there was one or two opportunities when I faced east and oh I found some possible urban exploration options (subject to security and security cameras :))

Lizard by Andrew, on Flickr

• Like Like x 5
  5. TwoWheels

TwoWheels Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 28, 2014
    British Columbia
    Evan
    August 1 - Another afternoon on a ferry. This was taken in Active Pass, a narrow passage between islands on the route from Vancouver Island to Vancouver (the city) on the mainland.

E-M5 with P45-150
    20150801-P8010683-X2.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
    • Like Like x 4
  6. TwoWheels

May 28, 2014
    British Columbia
    Evan
    August 2 - A Cockatoo in the Bloedel Floral Conservatory in Vancouver's Queen Elizabeth Park. It was a real treat to be able to photograph some really interesting birds--cockatoos, macaws, parrots, Gouldian and Zebra finches--in a decent setting. Having said that, I realize that these may not be particularly interesting or exotic birds for the down under folks on this thread. :)

E-M5 with P45-150

20150802-P8020797-X2.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Crdome

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Sunday, August 2, 2015

Road trip, cruising through Chicago on way to Wisconsin and back to Indiana. I'm tired and I hurt. I must get to bed... Hopefully I don't find myself processing images 3 hours from now.

20060537260_1e61867a13_o. Mile marker 57.5 by Chrome Dome, on Flickr

• Like Like x 3
  8. Crdome

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Evan -Great cockatoo. I assume you ment August rather than July in these two posts.

9. NoSeconds

NoSeconds Mu-43 All-Pro

Saturday
    August 1st

This weekend was pretty full on, running all over town taking the kids to different events, sheparding them between rides and basically trying to herd cats...

FeNaClNG Festival:

The Lions Club of Karratha/Dampier main activity and fundraiser each year is the annual FeNaClNG Festival. The name, FeNaClNG, comes from the chemical symbols of the three main production and export commodities in Karratha and Dampier: Iron Ore-Fe, Salt-NaCl and Natural Gas-NG [not strictly correct but it makes the name work!]. The Festival is of such importance locally that a public holiday is declared.

FeNaClNG is similar to an Agricultural Show - without the agriculture. There are displays of handiwork and crafts from all sections of the community, food stalls, stalls selling novelties, clothing, souvenirs and jewellery. Also, there are sideshows with rides and all sorts of activities to separate the younger set from their money.

OM-D EM-1 9mm BCL
    84924159-CE31-4319-AB49-DD67909DB78C_zpslzw4bmn7.

Sunday
    August 2nd

I tried live comp mode to capture the festival's closing fireworks display. Let's just say it's heaps
    better suited for light trails...

This shot was captured with my backup camera, my wife's EPL6 and O45 f/1.8 using the fireworks scene mode...

D9993C15-CAF4-493A-8BE9-E0D9B1897A7B_zpsudxnrxrg.

• Like Like x 2
  10. spdavies

spdavies Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 9, 2013
    Hawaii
    Stephen
    Aloha All - Fancy meeting you here!
    August 1 - Infra Red Road, Kalapana
    EPL50074a_SPDWeb.

Olympus E-PL5 (IR Convert) | Lumix 20 1.7

• Like Like x 5
  11. spdavies

spdavies Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 9, 2013
    Hawaii
    Stephen
    August 2 - Bromeliads in the Rain
    P1060337a_SPDWeb.

Panasonic GH3 | Lumix 100-300 (@114)

• Like Like x 5
  12. Aushiker

Sep 12, 2014
    Andrew
    Ahh cockys or rather galahs [1] ... we have a love hate relationship ... something to do with TV aerials on 40' towers, cables that are apparently tasty and a poorly aimed 22 .... I think the cockys won :)

Andrew

• Like Like x 1
  13. Aushiker

Sep 12, 2014
    Andrew
    August 3, 2015 A braver crew member than me hanging off the side of the Singaporean flagged container ship, Safmarine Mulanje as it departed Fremantle Port via the harbour entrance channel into Gage Roads, next port of call, Tanjung Pelepas, Malaysia. I am guessing the crew member was preparing the Pilot's ladder for the Pilot to leave the ship once they reached the Pilots Ground out to sea.

Pilot's Ladder on the Safmarine Mulanje by Andrew, on Flickr

Andrew

• Like Like x 4
  14. TwoWheels

May 28, 2014
    British Columbia
    Evan
    Good catch...I guess I'm just living in the past. :)

15. TwoWheels

May 28, 2014
    British Columbia
    Evan
    Andrew...I'm not sure if it's just just me, but your photo isn't showing. It says not available.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  16. Aushiker

Sep 12, 2014
    Andrew
    Thanks for the heads-up. I have re-posted it. Hopefully it works now.

Andrew

• Like Like x 1
  17. TwoWheels

May 28, 2014
    British Columbia
    Evan
    August 3 - A B.C. Day photo from the 506 metre summit of Maple Mountain. I was too exhausted after riding up on singletrack (in 30 degree heat) to take more than this one shot. I haven't been riding enough...

iPhone 6+
    20150803-IMG_0588-X2.

• Like Like x 5
  18. Aushiker

Sep 12, 2014
    Andrew
    August 4, 2015 ... This what I am pretty sure is a New Zealand fur seal [Arctocephalus forsteri] saying hello at the North Mole at Fremantle Harbour. There is a colony of seals not far off the coast here at Rottnest Island so probably from there. It needs to be-careful but or it will be come a White Pointer's brekkie.

Hello There
    by Andrew, on Flickr

Andrew

• Like Like x 4
  19. NoSeconds

NoSeconds Mu-43 All-Pro

Monday
    August 3rd

OM-D EM-1 Sigma 60 f/2.8
    image.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Crdome

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Monday Aug 3, 2015.

This morning began with an eye exam including the procedure's traditional dilation of pupils. Thus my ability to shoot was substantially negated. Avoiding bright lights I chose a subject to present for your educational entertainment, Recollection upon a suicide knob. Its function, to assist in steering, became obsolete with the usage of power steering.

In drivers education I was taught the importance of being prepared turn the direction of the front wheels 90° to prevent collisions. Such a maneuver required 3.5 revolutions of the steering wheel on manual steering automobiles. We were continually drilled on using the rapid hand-over-hand, over-hand, over-hand... technique to prevent incidents such as this. In retrospect it has been suggested such a tactic may be counter intuitive and counter productive*. The knob comes from my eclectic collection of obscure artifacts.

Vivitar 55mm/2.8 with auto macro. Shot at f/8. I've had this lens since 1970/71. Last week it occurred I should get a Minolta-m4/3 adapter for it. Glad I did. Ity seems able to focus to 2"+/-.

Recollection upon a suicide knob
    by Chrome Dome, on Flickr

Here are additional examples of suicide knobs.

*Photo from my collection eclectic collection of obscure artifacts.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
    • Like Like x 4