1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Phil Norton photography and NISI (filters)

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by lomomentum, Jul 7, 2016.

1. lomomentum

lomomentum Mu-43 Regular

Hello fellow m43 togs.

Has anyone any experience of the above in relation to the NISI filters and specifically the adapter to a accommodate filters for the Oly 7-14/2.8 lens?

I've just lost (slipped out of bag) all my Lee Seven5 filters. And as I've just bought the 7-14 I thought I'd seek replacement filters that will fit that and the others.

Thanks in anticipation.

2. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    I believe @Nam-in-Sonoma@Nam-in-Sonoma is using the Nisi filter system.

I am using the Photosphere SG adapter on my 7-14 PRO, which uses the Haida 100mm x 100mm filters, and I am very pleased with the performance of the system.

3. azjsb

azjsb Mu-43 Regular

Sep 19, 2015
    ljim5012 - intrigued by your positive comments on the Photosphere SG adapter for 7-14 PRO. Can you provide any images of the setup and any further commentary on the pluses and minuses of the system - how long have you been using it. What brand 100mmx100mm fliters are you using and how it the fit with the holders? Also, how are you packing all of this for travel in backpack for hiking...again, any images so one could get a sense of scale of all this would be so helpful. Thanks,

4. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    @azjsb@azjsb - I don't have any pictures of the system on the lens, but there are pictures from a user floating around here somewhere.

As for the filters, I have Haida 10, 6, and 3 stop ND filters, using them on the Haida filter holder (that's what the Photosphere SG filter holder is designed for). Fit is excellent, VERY snug on the lens. I have no qualms with the system what so ever and am very glad I made the investment in it.

5. azjsb

azjsb Mu-43 Regular

Sep 19, 2015
    Well, ijm5012, you have convinced me so I have ordered the filter holder and the 10 & 6. Given you are a "Mu-43 All Pro" I am concluding you would not steer me wrong :). I will do a follow-up report after I have used for a while.

6. Angus Gibbins

Angus Gibbins Mu-43 Regular

Dec 6, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Angus
    Please do report back azjsb. I'm using Cokin P series filters on my 12-40mm but just bought an Olympus 7-14mm f2.8 so am looking around for alternatives.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 mobile app

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    I have no qualms with the Haida system and the Photosphere holder. Very easy to set up and use, and much cheaper than the Lee system.

The 7-14 PRO is a fantastic lens, and having the ability to do long exposures only makes me want to use it more now.

8. Angus Gibbins

Dec 6, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Angus
    Only problem for me is the Haida system doesn't appear to be readily available in my country. Still, ordering from Amazon still appears to be damn sight cheaper than ordering NiSi.

9. azjsb

azjsb Mu-43 Regular

Sep 19, 2015
    I purchased my filter Oly 7-14mm f/2.8 holder and two Haida ND filters (6 & 10) directly from Photosphere (PhotosphereSG Filter Solution for Olympus m.ZD ED 7-14mm F2.8 PRO lens )- email: photosphere.sg@gmail.com - they were very prompt on communication and I received an email from them that the order had shipped along with tracking number. Once I have it and used it for a while I will provide a report on my feelings about the holder and filters. I would think they would ship to whatever country you live, Angus. Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
  10. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Yep, they ship anywhere. You may want to check eBay as well, because I've seen some great deals on Haida 100x100 filters there that can beat the price of Photosphere by a few bucks (not much though, so you have to weight the small cost savings versus convenience of just receiving everything in one package from them).

I can say that with two filter slots, I do get a wee-bit of "vignetting" in the corners and at the edges of the frame. My advice is that if you're only going to be using one filter at a time, then only install one filter slot. If you may be shooting with 2 filters, you'll have to zoom to about 7.5 or 8mm in order to eliminate the vignetting (or just slightly crop the image in post to eliminate the darkened areas).

• Like Like x 1
  11. Angus Gibbins

Dec 6, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Angus
    Thanks for the advice guys, I stumbled across PS last night. I'm in Singapore in October so might get to check them out.

12. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    Email Haida directly and they should put you in contact with a rep that can purchase and ship to you. That's what I did. The rep didn't have the filter in stock so they ordered it from the mothership.

13. lomomentum

lomomentum Mu-43 Regular

Thanks for all your responses. I checked with LEE - They are working on a solution right now and are currently testing it. Should be available in 3 month or so.

14. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    I am surprised that it's taken Lee this long to come out with a solution for this lens, when there are 3 other options out there on the market already.

15. azjsb

azjsb Mu-43 Regular

Sep 19, 2015
    Well, I have my Photosphere SG adapter for 7-14 PRO system and went to a neighborhood "watering hole" to try the system out. First, very easy to put on and off. Yes, one does need to insert the filter into the holder before putting the foam ring of the holder onto the lens. Went on and off easy. Below are two images - one with the 10 stop and one with the 6 stop. Minor tweaks in LR to taste. The color balance is as it was out of the camera - didn't notice any real color shift. I shot at 7mm and I did crop about 2 or 3% or the image (I mean a really small amount) to get the perimeter minor vignetting out. Now, maybe I could have pushed the filter holder back a smidge more but it was very close to the alignent line they tell one to go to. For me, this is absolutely no deal worth fretting about. And, maybe with a minor more adjustment it wouldn't even have happened....but even if it really is 7-1/4mm focal length to have no vignette, I think the trade-off for a very easy to use ND system that works on the 7-14mm is great. So, for what it is worth, I recommend.

10 stop Haida ND Filter - 7mm; f/4.5; 5 seconds; ISO 200
    _D062397.

6 stop Haida ND filter - 7mm; f/11; 1.6 seconds; ISO 200.
    _D062404.

• Like Like x 4
  16. azjsb

azjsb Mu-43 Regular

Sep 19, 2015
    Want to add a PS to the above post. Yesterday, when I made the above images, I tried an making an image stacking the 10 stop and the 6 stop for a total of 16 stops. Frankly, getting focus was really tough as I had to go to Live Time in order to even see the scene through the 16 stops and manual focus as the lens was hunting to get focus. As a result, I doubt, very much, that I would ever stack two filters - either use the 6 stop or the 10 stop and highly unlikely I would ever want that in combination with a polarizing filter for obvious reasons. Thus, if the 1/4 mm from 7 to 7-1/4mm to get rid of the second rail vignette is troublesome (or you simply don't believe that you would ever stack 2 filters - which I do not), in 3 minutes and a very small eye-glass like screewdriver, I removed the second rail so that the filter holder now (a) only holds one filter; and (b) now the image is absolutely clear to 7mm. Just stored away the second rail should I ever change my mind....

17. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    @azjsb@azjsb yeah I did the same thing. Realizing that I wouldn't be shooting with two filters, I took the second rail off and now don't have any vignetting issues at 7mm