Phew.......I've done it.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Dave in Wales, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Phew.......I've done it, spent the money I had for the EM5, I feel much happier now.

I've replaced the G3 that I should never had sold after buying the GH2.
    The IQ from the G3 is IMVHO, superior (just) to that from the GH2 and equal to if not better than that from the EM5, again IMVHO.

Also I've added a Pany 25mm f1.4 Summilux to the stable and am now considering a Pany 100-300.

THe G3 cost me £369, 37% that of a EM5, and the 25mm cost me £440.

That works out to total 81% that of a EM5, and I have a terrific set-up.

There were a number of features that I could just never come to terms with on the EM5.
    No flippy-out screen, which for me is essential.
    Waterproofing, never ever needed it, grip never really wanted one.

And from experience IMVHO the G3 IQ is on a par with the EM5.

Ah, almost forgot, the over-inflated, hyped-up launch price of £999, for me it was just a no-brainer.

I got a G3 plus a terrific lens plus £190 to spend on :confused: as I said for me it was just a no-brainer.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Glenn S

Glenn S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2010
    Thank goodness for that, no more agonising :biggrin:

Incidentally, Tesco are selling the G2, with 14-42 lens for £199!!!

3. Dave in Wales

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    You're glad, how do you think I feel.:smile:

4. greyelm

greyelm Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2010
    London
    Malcolm
    I've done the same as you, I wanted to upgrade my m43 system to have lower noise than my GF1 but I couldn't justify the OM-D due to the high price. I got a G3 for £399 (after cashback) with the 14-42 kit lens so with my 20 & 45-200 I have a great partner to my X100. I hven't done any real shots yet but the ones I took around the house look very good (better than my GF1).

5. Dangermouse1968

Dangermouse1968 Mu-43 Regular

May 26, 2011
    Can I ask please why you can't live without the flippy-out screen.

I've never used one but can't quite see the point of them!

6. everythingsablur

everythingsablur Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    Several reasonably common use-cases for a flip out LCD.
    • self portraits (screen flipped out and facing forward)
    • shooting a high angle shot over head, like looking down on a big crowd of people in front of you (screen flipped out and angled down)
    • shooting a low angle shot close to the ground (screen out and angled up)

Without a flip out screen, the first is a guess at best. The second is also a complete guess. The third is really difficult (squat/lie down and put your head on the ground so you can see the LCD?).

With a tilt screen (E-PL3, E-M5, NEX 3/5/7), you can at least do the latter 2 with some ease.

With an articulated EVF, you could do the last one with a little less craning, but still not the most comfortable.

It's also easier to do video work since you can vary the position of the camera (higher or lower) to achieve the cinematographic angle you want without being fixed to your single angle of viewing the camera, and you can do this as you move through the shot.

7. Dave in Wales

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    As previously said........
    shooting a low angle shot close to the ground (screen out and angled up)

With my Pany 7-14mm

8. greyelm

greyelm Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2010
    London
    Malcolm
    I'm at an age where crouching down is not an option, a swivel/tiltable screen allows me to take low level shots. This is one of the things I miss on my GF1 and X100.

9. ripleys baby

ripleys baby Straw clutcher

Aug 10, 2011
    I thought they were a bit pointless until i bought my G3. Use it a lot now,
    I have used an Olympus pen and nikon P7100 tilt screen too. I found composition easier with the latter two, I think perhaps the fact that they are in line with the lens. The bad for portrait aspect of the tilt type does not bother me either because i seldom tip me camera up.
    I like horizontal !

10. Dangermouse1968

May 26, 2011
    Thanks guys. Now I have some insight and can see how it could be advantageous!

11. RR76

RR76 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2011
    South Wales UK
    I think Oly will be slowly losing business whilst they can't get the units to supply demand, especially with so many new cameras hitting the market.
    I'm getting cold feet myself & am going to try & track down a Fuji X-pro tomorrow to try out the AF first hand. If I like it then Oly will have lost another sale, and by proxy so will Panasonic as I won't be building up a lens collection.

12. Dangermouse1968

May 26, 2011
    Oh, and sorry to hijack this thread!!

13. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    The OMD will be there in 6-12 months, and cheaper too! If you like the kit you have now, stick with it!

14. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I really don't see OMD and XPro 1 as direct, spot-on competitors. The XPro 1 undoubtedly (based on what I've seen) has better higher IQ, but slower focus, more limited lenses and is quite a step more expensive. It's also not just a little bigger and thicker, and the VF experience is substantially different.

I can see some overlap, but I could also see some distinct needs for one or the other that don't cross over.

15. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Its kind of funny how much people freak out in the first days of a release. When the X-Pro 1 hit the street a couple of weeks ago, there was widespread panic and anger at the horrible job Fuji was doing of supplying demand. This lasted for about two to three days and then suddenly the cameras and lenses were EVERYWHERE! Actually one of the smoother roll-outs I've seen. Oly is generally pretty on top of it but was probably surprised by just how much demand there IS for the EM5. So it might take a few days or even a couple of weeks. This isn't really a bad performance.

I recall when the GH2 came out - you couldn't find 'em ANYWHERE. They trickled out for literally MONTHS. I got one a month or two after it was released and I had to call around like crazy to hunt one down. I had it for about 7-8 months before coming to grips with just not liking it very much and sold it for a FULL $50 less than I paid for it! Because you STILL couldn't find one... Or the X100, which was hindered by a combination of underestimating demand and the not so small matter of a tsunami hitting Japan just before the launch. It took a long time to get those things to market.

If the OMD is still hard to find in a month or two, I'll say Olympus hasn't done a very good job. At this point, though, I think their inability to meet the intial demand is anything BUT a sign of sales weakness!!!

-Ray

16. Monza76

Monza76 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2012
    I own a Canon S5IS with the flip out screen and I totally understand what you mean.

17. RR76

RR76 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2011
    South Wales UK
    I think Oly have been surprised by demand also... I'm not saying there's anything they can particularly do, they're obviously trying to stockpile some cameras so they can present a smoother (if somewhat belated) rollout.
    I'm pointing out that as time marches on, Oly could lose sales due to changes of heart or circumstance, whereas if they'd managed to bring the camera to market soon after announcement then the money would be in the bank by now.

The cost of an em-5 is not insubstantial, the mirrorless & dslrs that have hit he market since the em-5's announcement must surely have taken some sales away from Oly, despite being somewhat more expensive.

Over the last few days I've really fallen for the fuji x-pro1 colours & the performance of the 35mm looks stellar. In fact I'm hoping I don't like it in hand because I know it won't be as versatile a system as :43: especially when trying to grab shots of my toddler which will of course be the most cherished shots in years to come. curiosity has the better of me at this point however.

18. OdzBodkinz

OdzBodkinz Mu-43 Regular

Sep 11, 2011
    I cancelled my pre order for the EM5 today as well. Going to buy a 7-14mm probably and a 251.4.

19. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Good on u Dave for doing that .
    U may be right from IQ point of view but otherwise EM5 is a totally different camera and Panny has no match for it for the time being . Weather sealing is a welcome and very useful feature and asking price of USD 999 wasnt that bad either given that Panny were even charging USD 999 for GX1. Now G3 and EM5 may share the same sensor u may be happy from IQ point of view . I dont like flip out screen , I am happy with what ever Oly EM5 or Nex Series offers . G3 is a terrific camera but dont be harsh on EM5 as its not in same league or same series as G3 or Oly Pen range is . I would keep EM5 for the next 2-3 years where as u may easily dump G3 for G5 as soon as its launched. I am glad that u saved some money and bought few great lenses . U know what ? I was in the market for a new car and Audi A4 was on my list , here in Aus they ripp us off as far as cars prices are concerned . So when I came to know that VW uses the same Engine and some parts in VW Passat as in Audi A4 I bought Passat and saved nearly 20K and I have no regrets as performance on the road was same . Both cameras are great my mate so enjoy G3 and ur lenses but EM5 is in different league
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

20. Manila Man

Manila Man Mu-43 Regular

Oct 16, 2011
    Oly would have done themselves a favor by coming out with just one model. I couldn't decide between a black and silver E-M5. Seriously, it's the only thing stopping me from buying.

I am considering getting a battery holder and find a black E-M5 to be better looking.