1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

PhaseOne releases Capture One Pro 9.1

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by CyVan, Mar 18, 2016.

1. CyVan

CyVan Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2016
    Jamaica
  2. Dragos101

Dragos101 Mu-43 Regular

May 1, 2015
    Bucharest, Romania
    Dragos
    Considering quality and versatility package, nothing beats Darktable. And that's even before taking into acount that it's free. My current favourite is Silkypix 7 though, less versatile but the image quality is better than Darktable, the difference was enough to justify the price for me. Capture One, even with the v9 engine, seems to impose a certain look on all images that I simply don't like (skin tones in particular)

3. TransientEye

TransientEye Mu-43 Regular

Sep 18, 2013
    Barcelona
    Mark
    Even with only a few hours use, it seems to be a huge improvement over 9.03 in stability and performance (on MacOSX). This is particularly true when navigating or rotating images, which was slow and occasionally show only a low resolution image on screen.

Personally I prefer the C1 output over Lightroom. By default it tends not to oversaturated reds so much, which sometimes causes gamut clipping on output or display in LR. The default NR is a bit heavy, but easily changed.

4. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I tried to update today & somehow my old Windows Live Mail 2012 had problems (using Windows 7) & I had to do a system restore & so I will have another go later on & see what happens.

5. CyVan

CyVan Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2016
    Jamaica
    So far, in my very limited experience with post processing in general , I've noticed that I have less to do in C1 than say DXO. C1 seems to do things intelligently and you can play with the settings more, esp in the exposure tab w/o the picture looking over processed. So for example if I increase the brightness it doesn't blow out the highlights as easily. It seems to make sensible decisions. However I see where that could be a problem if you were actually trying to get the overprocessed look.

6. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Looks nice, but I'm too cheap to spend $300 on it!

7. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    Have the Apple one on my Mac that would be used by Photos. Have the DxO Optics one. Have the Adobe one that is part of the Photography CC package. For snapshots done with iPhone, Photos is good enough. For my serious photography the Adobe one using Lightroom as the DAM. On occasion I will use DxO Optics, but that is getting rare.

8. GBarrington

GBarrington Mu-43 Veteran

ACDSee Ultimate 9 (for PCs only)

9. CyVan

CyVan Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2016
    Jamaica
    Hmm, Thats on sale now too. Why did you choose ACDSee over another like Capture One or DXO or LightRoom?

10. GBarrington

GBarrington Mu-43 Veteran

Well, I was originally a Lightroom user from the V1 Beta days and by Lr3, I had become disenchanted with it. I wrote about it in my blog here.

I still think of these tools as workflow managers, and I liked ACDSee's ability to control workflow the best. DXO is JUST a raw developer and makes no pretensions to controlling the entire workflow. CaptureOne's user interface in my mind, is in need of a major overhaul, it is counter intuitive and frustrating at every turn. ACDSee is every bit as powerful as Lightroom as a workflow tool, and by using a heirarchical database instead of a relational (I'm a retired DBA so that's my computer geek talking), it offers faster response time.

In terms of raw development capabilities, I feel ACDSee is every bit as good as the three you mention, and the tools seem logical and intuitive. The ACDSee Light EQ tool offers incredible control over dynamic range, allowing me to squeeze all the DR out of an image that my camera can offer. I wrote about that HERE. I also like the similar tools for B&W conversion. Plus I like how it handles ORF files.

When V9 was released, I wrote a review of the new features, called, "An Experienced User's Notes on Ultimate 9".