1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Phase One releases Capture One 7.1.6 with support for the E-M1

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by JudyM, Dec 22, 2013.

1. JudyM

JudyM Mu-43 All-Pro

May 5, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I usually get an email from Phase One that a new release is available, but I didn't this time. I've been checking often waiting for support for my E-M1, and finally found it available Friday. This release also includes support for the Sony A7 and A7r.

• Like Like x 1
  2. lombardispot

lombardispot Mu-43 Regular

Sep 19, 2013
    Anyone Feedback for EM-1 with Capture One?

Anyone try out EM-1 with Capture One and have some feedback?

3. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    So far I'm finding performance with a large library to be not as smooth as with Lightroom, and I think Lightroom still has a slight edge in highlight retention. In terms of resulting image quality, I think C1 does a better job. It also has some great tools like automatic lateral CA correction for all images, the ability to disable automatic barrel correction, etc.

4. JudyM

JudyM Mu-43 All-Pro

May 5, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I prefer Capture One to Corel PaintShop Pro X6 and Photoshop CS5, which I also use occasionally. It may be my lack of experience with the other two programs, but I find the images to be more malleable in Capture One. Controls are there for just about everything you could want, and I find fine adjustments easier to control than in Corel.

5. lombardispot

Sep 19, 2013
    I did a few test conversions. The following images are processed either by EM-1, Capture One, and Lightroom. I'll post several photos. Starting with this one of kids. It has some interesting challenges as the light is sunset lighting, so it should have a sunset glow to it. And it was taken with a 75 1.8 wide open. So DOF is a bit thin and retaining detail in the faces is important since DOF is so thin.

EM-1
    Alabama-131226-129-L.

Capture One
    Alabama-131226-130-C1-L.

Lightroom
    Alabama-131226-130-Lr-L.

Lightroom Settings
    Kids-LR-Settings-L.

• Like Like x 2
  6. lombardispot

Sep 19, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  7. lombardispot

Sep 19, 2013
    Dog with 100% Crop of Eye

EM-1
    Alabama-131228-375-L.

Capture One
    Alabama-131228-376-C1-L.

Lightroom
    Alabama-131228-376-Lr-L.

EM-1 100% Crop
    Roxie-Eye-EM1-L.

Capture 1 100% Crop
    Roxie-Eye-C1-L.

Capture One 100% Crop Half Strength Noise Settings
    Roxie-Eye-C1-NLow-L.

Lightroom 100% Crop
    Roxie-Eye-Lr2-L.

Lightroom Settings (same as book settings)
    Books-LR-Settings-L.

• Like Like x 1
  8. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    Been using c1 all the time
    Got the update the day it came out :)

IMHO C1 is much better at creating fine detail and less noise better skin tones
    The profiles in LR are a huge step forward

One has to try both and decide what they like ?

But again C1 is my choice for quality output but I use LR as my main DAM so output from it also really depends on how lazy I am :) and if it's paid work or not

9. Tilman Paulin

Tilman Paulin Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 10, 2013
    Dublin, Ireland
    updated my Capture One to the Pro Version in their Black Friday week.
    Was looking for an alternative to Lightroom since I'm too stubborn to join their cloud subscription :redface: (Even if I paid more at the moment, the future upgrades will be the same - or cheaper.)

Really happy that I did it so far. Once I started using it more often I was surprised by how much I prefer the user interface. The way they do the selective adjustments is really neat (in layers that you can even label). And the default colour rendering has always been better.
    Oh, and what really took me by surprise is the improved noise reduction.

I can definitely recommend to give the 60-day trial a shot.

• Like Like x 1
  10. 50orsohours

50orsohours Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    I just downloaded the trial version.

11. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Does anyone have any insight into treating purple fringing in shots taken with legacy lenses. I use my Zuiko 300 f4.5 a lot, and while I prefer the sharpening algorithms in Capture One, I cannot figure out how to get rid of the CA and purple fringing, something that is always easily accomplished in LR by sampling the offending area and adjusting sliders to fine tune the results.

• Like Like x 1
  12. JudyM

JudyM Mu-43 All-Pro

May 5, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Go to the menu with the "()" symbol, select the Lens menu tab, then check the Chromatic aberration checkbox. There is a tiny down arrow to the right. If you click it, you can select "Analyze" and Capture One will analyze the shot and make the correction. It works well. I don't know of a way to manually control the amount of correction.

• Like Like x 1
  13. lombardispot

Sep 19, 2013
    Your should see a dedicated button as shown below. The default setting is off for purple fringing.

C1-Purple-XL.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Thank lombarispot and Judy M. That's pretty much what I've been doing, so it looks like I'll have to deal with the legacy glass that is subject to more than usual fringing in LR. I do like Capture One, though.

15. Tilman Paulin

Tilman Paulin Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 10, 2013
    Dublin, Ireland
    if there's nothing else that's purple in the shot you could also use the Color Editor to desaturate/hueshift the purple fringes.
    It's a bit of a hack, but worked for me on some occasions :)