Phase detect

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Franssales, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Franssales

Franssales Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 22, 2010
    The feature I have been missing in E-P2 is phase detect, since contrast detect makes focussing with manual lenses slow and much more difficult. A decent phase detect allows focus confirmation with sound or led.

I believe that the next update will bring phase detect to Olympus EP series. Fuji has developed a module which allows both contrast and phase detect for compact camera, and Sony┬┤s Alpha A33 and A55 have EVF with phase detect. Sony uses a translucent mirror in its system, so I don't know if it uses the same system as Fuji.

Anyway, since the camera makers cross-licence their technologies, I think it is likely that phase detect is on its way to Olympus as well.

2. JoepLX3

JoepLX3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 13, 2010
    Japan
    Hmm, no space in PEN series for such a mirror...

3. Franssales

Franssales Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 22, 2010
    A module seems small enough

"According to Fujifilm, the phase detection sensors are embedded within the Super CCD EXR chip."

And the camera itself must be smaller than Oly.

Fujifilm FinePix F300EXR Product Review - Digital Cameras - CNET Asia

Those small newcomers like Fuji, Panasonic LX or the new Canon Ixus would be more rivals for micro 4/3 if they only had optical or EVF. They don't so I still dont't have a preferred backup camera.

(Luckily, I found a Sony DSC-T77, which was returned to me from the lost and found of police after 3 months when the owner didnt fetch it! It performs well in good light and allright in even decent light.)

4. panystac

panystac Mu-43 Regular

Sep 14, 2010
    Tokyo, Japan
    As demonstrated by Panasonic, Contrast Detection AF can be fast. Phase Detection AF requires extra sensors to do the AF, which cannot be worked into the Olympus Pens.