1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Phase 2 of M43 bulk-up complete!

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Chronos, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Chronos

Chronos Mu-43 Regular

Oct 18, 2012
    Colorado
    Chris
    2 Days ago i sold my Nikkor 24-70 f/2.8.

This morning I hit up Amazon this morning and pulled the trigger on a....

Panasonic 12-25 f/2.8
    Tiffen 58mm ND filter kit
    Battery grip
    2 more batteries
    Pin hole lens body cap
    New garbage disposial <-- not :43: but i needed it.

All to be delivered on Monday! :2thumbs:

I am still selling off my Nikon gear, Phase 3 will be the 35-100 f/2.8 and a backup OMD.

I am sort of going a different direction than most time-lapse photographers, rather than going to a larger sensor I am going to a smaller one, but I am convinced this is going to be the way to go.

my last timelapse hiking kit consisted of

Nikon D7000 w/grip
    Canon 60D
    Tokina 12-24 f/4
    Nikon 24-70 f/2.8
    Nikon 70-200 f/2.8
    3-4 spare batteries
    rain sleeve for the canon
    Chronos 2.0 which is a 39 inch timelapse rail I developed.

Everything together came out to 30lbs. Add in a tripod, water, snacks, sunscreen, regular hiking supplies and it swelled up to about 40lbs. I like to carry a spare camera and a couple lenses so I can play around with photography while my timelapse system is clicking away.

The move to :43: is an attempt to lighten the load. I am pretty sure 2 OMD's with spare batteries and the 12-50, 12-35, and 35-100 will weigh in under 5lbs.

The new timelapse rail i am designing should be under 7lbs when fully constructed.

I am really looking forward to hiking some Fourteeners next summer!
    I have a couple lowepro bags, but i am hoping to find something that has a smaller compartment for the :43: system and plenty of room for hiking supplies.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Ropes4u

Ropes4u Mu-43 Regular

Sep 24, 2012
    Can you post pics of your rail with an explanation of how you use it?

3. Chronos

Chronos Mu-43 Regular

Oct 18, 2012
    Colorado
    Chris
    Chronos 2.0 is a linear motion control system using an Igus WS-16-60 slider. It uses a stepper motor to turn a lead screw which will pull the carriage in and out. Escuse me if I hurt my shoulder patting myself on the back, but I am pretty proud of this system. :thumbup:

The purpose of Project Chronos is to be an open source high end timelapse system that competes with other systems that cost thousands of dollars. it can be built for about $600-700 (we use quality parts). It is a fully featured system, not just a rail with a motor and speed controller.

it is capable of movements as small as 1/64,000th of an inch. meaning it has the highest movement resolution and accuracy of any time lapse system ever built. There is a guy in Holland with one of these doing motion controlled timelapse of pot plants growing. lol. Ground breaking stuff, there has never been timelapse done on this level before. It will trigger any type of camera as long as you have the correct cable. It will sync up to any system capable of triggering a camera, so it can use its own internal timer or it can slave off of bulb rampers, pan and tilt systems, etc.

it is capable of continuous movements, however it primarily runs with a shoot-move-shoot system, meaning it will move, then wait untill the very last second, shoot the camera and move again. this ensures stability and no vibrations when the camera triggers

i have developed a bulb control in it, several HDR modes, it can wake cameras that fall asleep, it is capable of symmetrcial movement ramping (which other systems support as well) as well as Asymmetrical ramping (which no other system can do). Add in the live ramping mode (never before seen system I invented, this will be a game changer in the timelapse world) where you control it in real time making precise adjustments, automated drifting modes, the list goes on and on.

A friend of mine and myself build these on the side. Each one is hand built and tested. Most systems use a belt drive whereas we went with a lead-screw setup. This means video speeds are not possible, but it also means you can do macro-timelapse with velocity ramping which no other system is capable of doing.

We spent about a year and a half designing/developing it. So far we have built about 20, with these all over the world and in every continent including antartica.

These are a "DIY" system, meaning the intent was just to publish instructions on how to built these and give it to the world. it is 100% open source. If you are comfortable doing soldering and loading a program into an Arduino microcontroller they are within anyones ability to build with regular hand tools. My machinist offers bracket kits which contain all the custom parts.

We DO also build these and sell complete systems, but it is for a price, we both have full time jobs, families, etc. so we keep the price around 1,200 just to keep the workload down a little bit, but it seems I am constantly building them. We are also developing a new modular system that will add pan, tilt, lens control, turntable, etc, to add as many axis of movement as you need. we are o our 3rd prototype of that system which works very well, the 4th prototype will probably be the last then we plan to start manufacturing.

Here are a few links for more information.

https://www.facebook.com/ProjectChronos2 <--facebook page, i use this to keep people up to date on developments on Project Chronos and the new system Project Clover which adds multi axis motion control.

https://vimeo.com/channels/279374 <-- vimeo channel with Chronos news, some test footage, updates, and instructional videos on rail prep/assembly, and recently a bunch of videos explaining how to use it. The Chronos 101 videos are very dry an unexciting, but go into more depth on how to use the system. The Chronos News episodes are something i do for fun to discuss the world of timelapse. Then there are some clips here and there of test footage.

Project Chronos | Free software downloads at SourceForge.net
    and above is the Sourceforge.net project page, this is the main hub for the DIY side of Chronos 2.0, you can download the code, the control box assembly instructions, detailed parts list with links to vendors, as well as Chronos 2.0 instruction manuals in english and italian (french is in the works)

Here are a few shots of the system.

This is what the new version of the system looks like.
    [​IMG]

Here are a couple shots of my system, this works the exact same but the control box is an older design from Chronos 1.0
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is a home built system that somebody put together off the plans on the sourceforge.net page.
    [​IMG]

And last and definatly not least, the SUB-0 artic system we put together. This is the control box of that system, and we tested it in -40c conditions and it worked perfectly. It is in antartica for the next year and a half. This was a one-off custom built rail, we were under the gun on this one and went from consultation to design to construction to shipped in under 2 weeks. The control box is housed in a pelican case.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  4. Ropes4u

Ropes4u Mu-43 Regular

Sep 24, 2012
    That's pretty awesome ....

• Like Like x 1
  5. troll

troll Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 25, 2012
    Do you make money from those time-lapses or is it just a hobby?

6. Chronos

Chronos Mu-43 Regular

Oct 18, 2012
    Colorado
    Chris
    For me running time-lapse is just a hobby, however there are people who do make money with them. There are 3 main ways to do this

1) be hired to run a timelapse of something for a client, a car rebuild, construction project, art project, etc.

2) gather timelapses and put them up for sale on photo stock websites. Sometimes a business might see something they want to use.

3) Find something very specific with a very direct theme such as Antartica, or cover a national park, or even do maybe a horror theme or something along those lines then pitch the material to the BBC, nat geo, whoever might be interested in such shots. For this you really have to find something unique.

I have been approached by the BBC for one of my timelapses which has a moon halo, but they only wanted to give me $50 bucks and for all the time and energy that went into that i declined.

generally i just like to go do this stuff for fun.

however i do make some side money by building time lapse rails such as Chronos 2.0, or doing custom jobs.

Right now im pretty excited to be doing consultant work for a timelapse rig that will be used for some footage of an art project for Nat-Geo.

There are some peple out there who just completely destroy my timelapses. Check out anything rom Tom Lowe, that guy is just incredible. My goal is to get time lapse systems out there that dont cost $3000 that most people should be able to afford and see what they can do.

• Like Like x 1