Petition to make Panasonic react

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Iansky, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    I have just started a petition in order to try and put pressure on Panasonic to get them to acknowledge and do something about the focus/sharpness issues with the 14-42X "Prime lens".
    If you are having problems and would like Panasonic to do something about them, please sign my petition at the link below:
    Petition Panasonic 14-42mm X lens focus/sharpness issues
    • Like Like x 2
  2. cakkarudie

cakkarudie Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 7, 2012
    Thank you for initiating this, i have signed.

3. bobbywise

bobbywise Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2011
    Nantes, France
  4. Petition signed. Pany is shooting themselves in the foot if they fail to deal with this issue. At one time considered this lens as replacement for the 14-45mm. Not until they deal with this problem. I was thinking about purchasing the rumored to soon be released faster zooms. Bit gun shy now. Will definitely wait for a bunch of these lens to be on the street before purchasing.
  5. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA

I'm really disappointed because I thought that it would be a good compact replacement for my Oly kit lens.
  6. Brian S

Brian S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    Is this an optical design problem, or a firmware problem? I've seen both at fault before. Or a quality control problem?

Years ago, Nikon apologized for the performance of the 9-element 43~86 F3.5 zoom. But the lens still sold in large numbers. Then Nikon changed the optical formula to an 11-element design which was much better.

Camera manufacturers seem to making a lot of design errors with their new camera equipment, and sem to resort to denial rather than correcting the issues.
  7. Spaceghost33

Spaceghost33 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Christopher Stelter
    I don't have the lens, but I'll support this effort. Signed!
  8. wreckless

wreckless Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2011
    It is a shame the way corporations act now... resembles a corrupt government rather than a group of people producing and selling something for consumption.

9. The Minimalist

The Minimalist Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 19, 2011
    Ditto, just signed.
  10. Phoque

Phoque Mu-43 Regular

Sep 18, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    I guess they're imitating the software business: send out an incomplete product and finish the debugging from user input. What best way to debug your product than to put it in the hands of real users! ( :mad: )

Of course, abusing this process could hurt their brand name.
  11. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    I don't have the lens nor did I have plans to purchase it...but poor design, quality control and customer care are issues worth raising with the manufacturer.
  12. meachp

meachp Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2011
    Norton-on-Tees, UK
  13. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    Signed as well, even though I have no particular interest in the lens. I am concerned about Panasonic support as well as my fellow photographers.
  14. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    I have little interest in this lens at this time nor will I consider exploring its possible merits for my own usage later.

I did not sign your petition for privacy purposes; however, I support your cause. I have underscored my concerns through another avenue that I am not privy to divulge on this open forum.

I am exhibiting my support because if a major manufacturer simply ignores this matter about a product in which I have little interest, it will likely do the same for all other products; included one that I desire to eventually acquire.
  15. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Thank you to all those who have signed, the more signatures we can get the more pressure we can put on Panasonic - great if it went viral so any ideas on driving this to an even greater audience will be very much appreciated.

I have to date put it on both my blogs as well as on this forum, Serious Compacts, DP Review and Facebook Mu43.
  16. Sawfish

Sawfish Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2011
    Signed. I was planning to purchase the lens as a part of a kit. But due to the issues I have decided to get at GX1 with the old 14-42 :frown:

P. Nielsen
  17. dave37

dave37 Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 3, 2012
    Alabama, USA

I was going to buy a GX1, but was waiting on the "dust settling" on the x lenses..... They sounded too good to be true. I have been waiting a couple of years for just the right time to get into the m43system.

Just settled for refurb GF2 to get started.

Even if it turns out nothing can be done with the design, at least Panny should admit and make it right. That being said, at least the xlens is not as crappy of a lens as the Nikon 43-86 was..... I had one
  18. RR76

RR76 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2011
    South Wales UK
    I don't claim to be knowledgeable about the particular issues with this lens but I understand it isn't sample variation. If that's the case then I can't see you forcing Panasonics hand to admit it's a poor design. Optical design is a balancing act & they've sacrificed some performance in order to gain advantages in portability.
    You always run the risk as an early adopter or from not doing your research of ending up with something that doesn't meet your expectations.

Plus I don't think it is marketed as a premium product even if it does command a premium price over the standard kit lens. It's marketed as a compact option.

The best thing you can do to help fellow consumers is spread the word on just how poor a performer this product is. So find all the reviews, say your piece & spread the word on forums, chances are that those who would notice these issues are enthusiasts who frequent forums and are aware of the problems, and those who don't see it as a serious hobby (and thus don't frequent the forums) but want a premium camera will probably not notice these issues as much anyhow.

Lack of sales is the only thing that will force Panasonic to re-engineer this lens or they could abandon the concept entirely, or lower the price considerably. None of which is going to help you of course. You might want to sell the lens before you spread the word too far of course !
  19. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    Panasonic was very clear what the "X" line meant... premium higher quality lenses. This just happens to also be compact.

Now, I get you can't take a 24-70 mkII and make it the size of a 20/1.7 w/o making sacrifices. And I certainly was expecting things like corner softness. But the current X lenses seem to just have some odd ball issues. And that gives me a bit of reservation for the new 12-35/35-100 combo.

With that said, you're right, that the best place to go is Panasonic's bank account at this point. If it's "performing to specs" then we just have to be sure all the reviews are clear you're sacrificing a lot for the compactness. More than Panasonic wants to lead you to believe.
  20. RR76

RR76 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2011
    South Wales UK
    I wasn't aware of the X claim, thanks Linh.

I'm sure there will be drastically fewer pre-orders for the new fast zooms unless Panasonic can get some out early into the hands of trusted reviewers.