1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Pet Peeve

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by pydoublee, Oct 17, 2012.

1. pydoublee

pydoublee Mu-43 Regular

Aug 27, 2012
    A lot of my friends use my images for their Facebook profile picture, which is okay... I feel honored. What bothers me is that they don't give me any credit for it. I don't think they have bad intentions, perhaps it is a minor issue for some people, but it bothers me a lot. :mad:

Any suggestions on how to deal with this? I feel like I should say something to them, but I don't want to hurt the relationship (this applies to friends that I just met to close friends).

Thanks,
    - Pete

2. strang

strang Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2012
    My rule of thumb for social media is that if it's on there, it's free to share.

Sorry for bursting your bubble. If you want proper attribution, put your quality work on a service that respects it. Flickr, 500px, anything that is photographer oriented.

You can set the privacy control for your photos if they're posted within your profile: wall, album. Tagged photos that are not within your profile are not under your privacy control. If you set them to Close Friends only, then only your friends on that list will be able to see these photos (provided you asked Facebook to also reset all of your old postings' privacy settings). This would limit the exposure of your photos though, people not on that list would not see your photos. So if they don't see it in the first place, they won't be able to set them as their profile.

You can also re-upload all of your photos with watermarks. But anything that is already cached in Facebook would remain that way until your friends reset their profile photos.

Did you know Facebook only recently started to "permanently" delete your profile, and things related to it? Even as recent as 2011, everything is saved when you leave Facebook. When you rejoin, if your email is the same, you get your profile back in tact as you had left. This policy is only revised recently where a permanent delete is possible.

3. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Really big copyright mark or signature embedded in the images?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Pete, I would send 'em an email expressing just what you wrote here - that you are honored that they have chosen your image(s) to reflect their profile, and that you would appreciate it even more if they were to attribute the image work to you. Let 'em know that such attribution isn't just an ego boost for you (of course it is, how could it not be? People actually like your work!) but that attribution may lead others into examining your work, which increases your audience.

The polar bear image that I use as a profile shot on this forum was made by me, but if someone else had taken it I would have no problem in making sure that credit was given where credit was due.

I wouldn't send out a 'group' email, I would make each one somewhat personal (and also that way no individual is privy to the entire group email list).

If such a small, reasonable request offends then I would question how good a 'friend' they are to begin with.

Just my 2 cents.

Regards,

Jim

• Like Like x 3
  5. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    If you are uncomfortable talking to them about it, then they are not really your friends. And if they are not really your friends, then you shouldn't worry about hurting their feelings. :smile:

Just send them a simple straight forward email: Hey I noticed you are using one of my photographs on your page. I'm very honored! However, could you please credit me or tag me in the photograph? This would help prevent people I don't know from using it without my permission and also help give my photography more exposure! Much appreciated!

• Like Like x 2
  6. pydoublee

pydoublee Mu-43 Regular

Aug 27, 2012
    Thank you for your help guys. I just needed the proper wording. I will send a personal email to each of them. :smile:

7. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    You've gotten some good advice, and I think it's an excellent approach to simply let your friends know you appreciate credit for your work :smile:

On a related note... personally I've taken to adding a watermark to my facebook and Flickr images. I struggled with it for a while because to be honest I didn't (and still don't!) consider my work to be of a quality that anyone is likely to swipe it. But over time I came to realize that it's like signing one's artwork. Whether it's cartoon caricatures bought off the street or oil landscapes hanging in a gallery, the artist is a part of the creation and to me it's somehow partially incomplete without attribution. Since it's so easy to hotlink or copy images on the web, the watermark ensures that context stays with the image.

8. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    I've struggled with the same issue as well. After researching the whole copyright issue on FB I found that you really need a watermark and/or copyright info in the description of the photo. I had a 'friend' use a recent shot of the Seattle skyline for a post but it wasn't 'shared'. Really irritated me as I was tagged in the photo but so were other people, and no credit was given.. I've started adding a watermark to my photos now and if I do any shots like that again will add descriptive text saying, "all rights reserved".