1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Peru - kit and travel advice?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by macfish, Jan 31, 2014.

1. macfish

macfish Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2012
    Columbus OH USA
    Heading to Lima in Feb for a week, with a small group traveling with a working Afro Peruvian band.
    Definitely taking the fuji x100s, my hesitation is which m43 gear. Em1 and 12-40, 45 and 75 are available. But to travel light I'm considering either the 12-40 and 75 only. Or the minimalist kit might be the fuji and just the 75 for concert photos.
    Lots of cautions re theft and pickpockets, but I've wandered the streets of Georgetown Penang and Bangkok with no issues.
    Anyone care to chime in their experiences or thoughts? Thanks!

2. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I was in Peru for 18 days around Christmastime, but spent a grand total of maybe 5 hours in Lima. Our trip was mostly hiking and sightseeing, so the 12-40/2.8 was perfect for my use. I was a bit apprehensive about pickpockets, but we had no problems. People were very friendly and quite used to seeing cameras. One of the guys we traveled with had a Nikon D800/24-120 and that occasioned no special attention or comments. I guess it's a matter of style, but I'd prefer the E-M1/12-40 for both concert and street photography, vs. the X100s. Being able to grab focus quickly was something I relied on a lot, especially in the cities. As to the 75, it depends how close you expect to be to your subjects, but I generally find that the less gear I have to worry about the better. I took the 12-50 (as a backup) and the 25/1.4 and ended up using neither. Do take plenty of extra batteries though - can never have enough of those.

3. macfish

macfish Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2012
    Columbus OH USA
    Thanks! Yep the x100s is basically a backup or for more stealth. I'd rather take it than other lenses.

4. If you don't want to be pickpocketed, don't carry stuff where someone could just reach in and grab it. You should exercise normal pecautions of course, but stories of crime against tourists always grow a leg and then some. You should hear the warnings about travelling to the USA!

5. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Caimi caimiphotography.com
    I spent the summer of 2010 in northwestern Peru and a couple of days in Lima. I was frequently advised to keep my camera concealed and/or close to my person to guard against pickpockets. In Lima it was not uncommon to see tourists carrying DSLR's. I took only a Leica X1 at the time and it served me well.