Perspective control lens

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by ccmsosse, Feb 12, 2010.

1. ccmsosse

ccmsosse Guest

Has anyone used perspective control lenses (ie from Canon or Nikon) via adaptor?
  2. ccmsosse

ccmsosse Guest

I'd love to if I had one.... :smile:
    I just bought photoshop CS4 and for now am doing it (lens correction) in post - but still ....
    If you had a Canon TS-E 17mm, what adapter would you use??
    I own a Leica and have the Leica-m4/3 adapter - the Lumix does awesome ... but a Canon to m4/3 ... I better start researching... :biggrin:
  3. Brian S

Brian S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    I own a Nikkor 35/2.8 PC, use it rarely. Trips to Williamsburg Virginia and other places with historic buildings and such.

NOW: a Perspective Control Lens has optics which cover MORE than the recorded image size. So on a 35mm camera, the optics are for Medium Format. The shift mechanism lets you slide the image circle around.

If you built the Slider into a Lens Adapter, you could turn just about ANY 35mm format lens into a PC lens.

Anybody have connections with a manufacturer for lens adapters? My Nikkor-UD 20/3.5 would be an awesome PC lens on a 4/3 system camera with the right adapter.
  4. ccmsosse

ccmsosse Guest

I don't own Nikons but m4/3 adapters are available at
    and BHPhotovideo has one for Nikon F mount
    I don't know whether this would help ... I think I'll stick with CS4 and accept cropping and some loss of the image - oh well.
  5. Brian S

Apr 11, 2009
    Those adapters will allow use of a Nikon PC lens.

However: what I am suggesting is that an Adapter could be made to allow many lenses made for 35mm full-frame to be used as Perspective Control lenses on the 4/3 format. The 2x crop factor helps here: the image circle of the adapted lens is big enough to be used off center. The adapters are thick enough to allow a slide to be built in. A manufacturer of an adapter could probably build one.
  6. ccmsosse

ccmsosse Guest

Brilliant - you'd like ANY lens (ie any Leica lens etc) to be a Perspective Control Lens... Instead of paying thousands of $$$ for one lens, you are suggesting to pay hundreds of $$$ for one advanced adapter and thereby allowing any lens to work as a Perspective Control lens - right?
    I like it - great idea.

Do you have experience with a Perspective Control Lens on a m4/3 or in general. Do you believe photographers will see the value or rather buy CS4 or similar???
  7. hohoho

hohoho Mu-43 Regular

Jan 24, 2010
    Yes, a Cosina 12mm lens with even little wobblability would be rather interesting. Not something I'd need myself, but it would be more than a mere novelty for others.
  8. Brian S

Apr 11, 2009
    I have not bought a micro 4/3rds camera yet- but plan on doing so soon. I use a lot of vintage lenses on quite a few cameras.

I look forward to the micro 4/3rds system. I'm going to rummage through the basement for some sliders.

I go back a long way with writing image processing software. Any time you can get an effect optically, it's usually better. The post-processing perspective control means a loss of resolution on the stretched portion of the image. Whatever you can get done before the image hits the sensor, the higher the resolution will be in the post-processed image. Twenty years ago I wrote custom FORTRAN to perform image projection, similar to what would be used for perspective control. The term "Ortho-normal projection" just popped into my brain...
  9. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
  10. GeorgeW

GeorgeW New to Mu-43

Jan 8, 2010
    Check this out:

I don't know anyone who uses it, but it sounds promising.
  11. Brian S

Apr 11, 2009
    That is the way to do a tilt! Ball-Socket. I would also like to see a slider, which keeps the lens parallel with the image plane, just moves it off-center.

Prices are reasonable for the adapter, compare with $400+ for a lens, then buy an adapter.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Brian S

Apr 11, 2009
    The "kicker" is: doing the same type of mechanism in the 4/3 adapter would not be hard or too expensive. The Chinese manufacturers could come up with something that works, and be fairly easy to cut on the CNC machines that they use. The size of the thing is important, and 4/3 mount would make life easier for them.
  13. Brian S

Apr 11, 2009
  14. ccmsosse

ccmsosse Guest

15. dbateman

dbateman New to Mu-43

Feb 17, 2010
    A Nikon version would be better.

I hope Fotodiox makes a Nikon version for this reason:

This lens is 14mm! Would make a great shift lens, and is not available in MD, FD or CY mounts. The widest full frame wideangle I have seen that is 20mm made by Sigma in those mounts.

Lets all e-mail fotodiox and ask for a F mount version.

I just emailed fotodiox at, Requesting for a Nikon version. I ask anyone interested to do the same.