1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Personal Daily Challenges?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by JamieW, Jan 26, 2014.

1. JamieW

JamieW Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 25, 2013
    I'm curious if / how other people out there challenge themselves as photographers.

I like to give myself challenges once in a while, like only shooting in B&W one day, or only using a certain lens. Today I'm about to take my son to the museum for an astronomy presentation they're giving. I've decided I'm going to only take my 45 1.8 today and leave everything else at home. It will be my first time using the lens since buying it about a month and a half ago other than to make sure it wasn't broken during delivery.

What kind of stuff do you guys do?

2. AndyC

AndyC Mu-43 Regular

Oct 21, 2013
    Atlanta
    Andy Clement
    I've started another 365 this year. I've done the self portrait 365 and a one object 365. This time it'll be to take and post at least one photo a day of whatever.

I'm sure add mini challenges to my daily routine. Pick a focal length and stick with it for a period of time. Shoot only macro (once my 60mm arrives) for a week..

3. phl0wtography

phl0wtography Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 15, 2011
    Without a body to mount it on? Now that's what I call a challenge :tongue:

4. euler_spiz

euler_spiz Mu-43 Regular

Feb 8, 2013
    Cantabria, Spain
    LP Hoyos
    Sometimes I challenge myself to use only MF. Not a big challenge but I feel it is something I need / want to improve.
    I also pick a lens and stick to it the whole day. It takes some shots to get used to it but it is an interesting experience.

5. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    I'm on my second 365. I also joined a Self Portrait 52 week project group this year with some incredibly talented photographers. I think that's plenty for me... lol.

6. 少林chris

少林chris Mu-43 Regular

Jun 28, 2013
    Los Angeles / Copenhagen
    Chris
    I used the 20mm entirely in 2013 and found it was great practice by only using one lens. Of course, having more options is optimal, but as a student on a budget this worked well for me.

7. I haven't found putting artficial restrictions on myself to be very productive, in that I'm likely to miss more then I get because of it. I'm happy to try a lens or style out of my normal comfort zone but not at the exclusion of taking my normal kit. My challenge each time is simply to try to come back with some good photos, which is challenge enough!

8. foxtail1

foxtail1 Science geek & photo nut

Dec 30, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Kristi
    My challenges aren't lens related, but topic related. I tend to shoot macro/nature shots, so I try to leave my comfort zone and shoot auto shows or building facades — anything I wouldn't normally shoot.

9. Darren Bonner

Darren Bonner Mu-43 All-Pro

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    I have just started the 365 day photography challenge. I'm already finding a little challenging as I want to keep my standards up.