1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Personal changes

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Dalton, May 3, 2014.

1. Dalton

Dalton Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2010
    Portland, Oregon USA
    Dan Ferrall
    I have participated in this forum for several years. I have owned and enjoyed several different M43 camera bodies. I started seeing a few posts now and then of Fujifilm X system images and discussions about the Fujifilm experience. That led me to browse other sites looking at output from those systems. I kept going back and I found that I generally liked the tonal characteristics of the files. I even used some in camera settings to mimmic the tonal qualities of The X-Trans images in my Olympus bodies. Well...A few months ago Fujifilm put almost all of their lenses on sale at significant discounts and the X-E1 body with the 18-55mm f2.8-4 for only $720.00. I decided to try out the system first hand and see what it would do. Within a few days I learned enough to decide what many of the advantages and limitations are of the X-Trans world are.

The focusing compared to the Olympus E-P5 and E-PM2...Olympus wins in speed and the face detection accuracy. Fujifilm wins in somehow getting a higher level of dead on focus hits (as long as you know how to set the focus area correctly.)

High ISO noise properties...Fujifilm Wow! Just clean and usable up to ISO 6400...and the DR seems to be better as well.

There is a difference in "philosophy" between Olympus and Fujifilm. I simply prefer the Fujifilm OOC jpegs. Not everyone will. This is a very subjective thing and don't let anybody tell you that you should like one over the other.

Lenses...I loved my Oly 75. The 12-40mm is a very, very good lens. The Panny/Leica 25mm...what's not to like? The 45mm f1.8 is likely the best value in any lens made today. But...Fujifilm has now filled out their offering quite nicely. From what I have seen from my limited number of images so far, Fujinon glass is as good as anything out there. I am stunned at the IQ coming from my 56mm f1.2. The price of the 18-55mm and the 55-200mm are true bargains based on the high quality of images I am getting.

I liked the X-E1 well enough but it was slow enough that when I had a chance to order the X-T1, I pulled the trigger. With out going into too much detail, I simply love the camera. Read the reviews. It is simply a wonderful design that has re-invigorated my photographic experience. The use of dials for aperture, shutter speed, and ISO is a natural for me. It will not be for everyone. You can't set a custom starting point in a menu that starts you out at f2.8, 1/125 of a second, and ISO 400 along with all of the other custom settings possible in an Olympus body. In order to quickly go to a starting point on a Fujifilm X-T1 you must touch three dials in addition to the custom menu number that stores other options.

I am still adapting to various differences in the menu systems between Oly and Fujifilm. I have had to slow down a little because frankly the Fujifilm cameras cause you to think more about process.

In the end, the most compelling thing that draws me to the Fujifilm world is the "look." I just like whatever it is in the "sauce." I love the flesh tones. I have found that Adobe isn't up to par in RAW processing but, Photo Ninja is. I have had to adapt RAW workflow (on the rare occasion when it is needed) and start with Photo Ninja and then move on to other tools if desired.

I have continued to browse this wonderful forum and enjoy the banter exchanged between the warm people that make it so special.

I hope your path along the photographic trail is as wonderful with you as it continues to be with me. Enjoy whatever gear that meets your needs and share the joy with all who will be interested in looking at the images that you create.

Dan
    Portland, Oregon

• Like Like x 5
  2. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Dan,

Thank you for sharing your insights. It's always nice hearing previous user's insights with things not turning in to a pissing match.

A question I do have for you is, how is the AF speed of the X-T1? I've heard mixed results when compared to m43 cameras, both with and without the "performance" mode on (or whatever it's called). Also, how is the handling of the camera with larger, heavier lenses on it (like the 55-200)? The Fuji cameras have always appealed to me, especially with their lens line up.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Dalton

Dalton Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2010
    Portland, Oregon USA
    Dan Ferrall
    In good light the X-T1 is quite good. There is a difference in speed depending on the lens you are using. Some lenses are definitely faster than others. Something I find interesting is that even when the focus isn't quick, it is very accurate. I am getting a high keeper rate of spot on focused images. I think that Fujifilm needs to address the face detect technology. It just isn't as good as Panasonic and Olympus. It works OK but sometimes just doesn't find a face that I believe it should. One good thing about Fujifilm is how good they are in pushing out firmware updates that improve performance. I feel assured that Fujifilm will work on the face detection algorithm and make it better. They have a great track record of actually adding technology that they release in newer cameras to older bodies via firmware updates. The direct answer to the which focusing system is better question is Olympus (in my opinion) but, not by a lot.

I do own the 55-200mm and it feels very good on the X-T1. In an unexpected surprise to my own preferences, I like the slightly larger X-T1 body over the smaller E-P5 body. It just feels better in my hands. Part of that may be the excellent ergonomics of the X-T1 body itself. I should add that camera ergonomics and individual preferences are unique to each user and I think people should try and get a feel for a camera "hands on" before buying a particular body. I tried the X-T1 in a local shop and knew right away it was a good fit for me.

I did not mention the viewfinder of the X-T1 earlier and it should be mentioned. It is big and very versatile. It's kind of cool to see the orientation of the display rotate in the finder as you move from landscape to portrait orientation. The focus peaking feature is excellent with a split display in the viewfinder (if desired) and choice of color to highlight in focus areas.

Dan

4. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    .... good luck .....

• Like Like x 1
  5. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Yeah, good shooting! It always nice to own a system that brings smile on your face when you take it in hands, whatever the name of the system is.