1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Permanent FEC on EM-1?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by ckrueger, Dec 13, 2013.

1. ckrueger

ckrueger Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Is there any way to set the EM1 (or FL600R) to bias its exposure up perhaps 2/3rds of a stop? Olympus' flash metering is very consistent, but I'm finding it's always 2/3rds of a stop too low for my taste.

I tried setting FEC on the flash, but it resets when the flash is powered off.

I don't remember having this problem with older flashes or bodies... perhaps I need to test that it's not unique to this combo (EM1+FL600R+any lens). Has anyone else noticed inconsistency in flash metering between cameras and/or flashes?

I'm using TTL, FWIW.

2. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    For the camera, Custom menu K, Expsoure shift - allows you to set up individual expsoure shifts for each spot, center weighted, and ESP. Whatever change you make here will not show in the LCD or viewfinder.

I have not found anything for the flash, but I seem to have the opposite issue you have. The flash, either FL-600R or FL-50R, is always too bright.

3. photo_owl

photo_owl Mu-43 Regular

Nov 8, 2013
    most exposure issues are related to the camera's switch to exposing for the face if FD AF is on with ESP exposure - because it's unexpected by many.

I wouldn't expect either of you gentlemen to be unaware of this though!

An interesting and quick test is to x reference the flash and camera metering/control by setting the camera to M and shooting one exposure in TTL and another in Auto.

I use FL50Rs but haven't seen any real difference between Es Pens or the E-M1 through the modes.

4. ckrueger

ckrueger Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    I saw the exposure shift, and went right there when I had this problem. I was saddened to discover that FEC was not one of the adjustments. Although the fact that yours biases in the other direction is interesting, Clint. I wonder if there is a semi-secret (hopefully not factory-only) way to adjust flash bias?

I'll have to play with the face detect modes. I've always had good luck with ESP flash metering with my older Olympus bodies, and never noticed a difference between face detect and AF point focus with my EM5, regarding metering. It's just the EM1 that's giving me fits.

I haven't tried Auto flash, either. I'm hoping to avoid that, to be honest; I never had much luck with it on my FL-36R. It was OK, but tended to require more studious use of FEC. Kind of like CWA for ambient metering (which I swore by until a couple years ago).

Good tips for experiments, Photo owl, thanks! Good to know your EM1 is behaving the same with your FL50R, too.

Maybe I'll fire off an email to Olympus, too.

5. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    It dawned on me after my previous response that the flash is brighter than anticipated; at least partially because of the 200 base ISO. Every digital SLR camera I’ve used till the OM-Ds has had a base ISO of 100. Since I typically use manual exposure the 299 ISO is my main culprit.

6. ckrueger

ckrueger Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Are you shooting TTL or A mode? Cause those should account for exposure variables like ISO.

Or are you one of those Jedi who can judge flash exposure by sight?