Permanent DoF preview?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Kanine, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Kanine

Kanine New to Mu-43

May 7, 2011
    I find in bright light the camera stops down, so that what you see in the LCD is not necessarily the aperture you're shooting at until the final exposure. does anyone know if there is maybe a setting in the menu to disable this? I know that some cameras by other manufacturers fixed this by firmware updates...
  2. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Which lens you using?
    m4/3rds lenses show you the scene wide-open but stop down to the selected aperture when taking the shot.

Old manual lenses are a real joy since when you change aperture that's it : the LCD might brighten to show you the scene comfortasbly but the aperture & DOF is the same as the taken picture.

You want a m4/3rds lens to show you the real aperture all the time right?
    I'm not sure it can be done. Kinda sure it can't be done. :)
  3. anidel

anidel Mu-43 Regular

May 13, 2011
    Twickenham, Uk
    Yeah me too, that would mean actually stopping down the lense at the chosen aperture when half pressing.
    Pretty sure no one has done that in the market.
  4. Kanine

Kanine New to Mu-43

May 7, 2011
    I'm using the panasonic 1.7 - trying to shoot at 1.7 is sometimes impossible because the camera is automatically setting it at something narrow like 5.6!
  5. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    Brrrm... Hrrrm... Maybe not intentionally, but most every (*) adapted/legacy lens does that, don't they?
    A good friend and colleague insisted that automatic preset of f/stop was nonsense. Today, EVF make him right.

* discounting bizarre stuff like Eos, Pentax 110 or Rollei SLX/6000.
  6. MaxElmar

MaxElmar Mu-43 Regular

May 18, 2011
    New Jersey, USA
    You didn't say what you are shooting, but with an E-PL2, "PREVIEW" is available and assignable to FN and the "Red Dot" buttons. See pgs. 47 & 77 of the manual. This will stop down or open up a native m43 lens to the selected aperture to see the DOF effect. Adapted lenses (other than 4/3 lenses) have mechanical stops.
  7. Howi

Howi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2011
    Your quite right, don't know what camera your using but I know this happens on my GF1 with the 20mm.
    You can see it happening, point the lens to a bright light source then to dark, you can hear and see the aperture stepping down in bright light.
  8. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    I'm not sure whether you're using a mode that sets the aperture automatically or not, but chances are that if it is bright enough to require the aperture to stop down to display correctly on the live view, then it's going to stop down to take the image as well. Maybe not to the exact same aperture but somewhere in the same ballpark. The cool thing the others have already noted about adapted lenses is that the exact DOF is always displayed.

For native lenses I actually think that the best place for a DOF preview would be a dedicated button either on the lens on the front of the body near the lens mount, not on the back of the camera.
  9. Kanine

Kanine New to Mu-43

May 7, 2011
    Camera - EPL2.

The lens will 'stop down' even if it's not at max shutter speed - for example, it might show f1.7/ 1/200th of a second, yet still 'preview' as f5.6. Apparently the Fuji X100 has this problem, as have a few cameras, and firmware fixes have sorted them out :( Was hoping it might be in a menu somewhere...
  10. MaxElmar

MaxElmar Mu-43 Regular

May 18, 2011
    New Jersey, USA
    Camera E-PL2 - I just tested mine with a Panasonic 20/1.7 and it works exactly as it should. Point it at the sky - it's at about f 5.6. Press the FN button programed to PREVIEW and it opens right up to 1.7. Maybe yours is broken or you're a victim of bad internet info.
  11. riri

riri Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 7, 2011
    i set my fn button to DOF preview
    so AE lock + DOF preview = constant 'true' live view
  12. Kanine

Kanine New to Mu-43

May 7, 2011
    Think you're right actually - just retested - it only really stops down when the 1/4000th of a second at 1.7 is exceeded.

Shooting in M mode (which allows + exposure compensation) largely reduces this problem, instead showing as +1.3 eV instead of stopping down. Still annoying in A mode though!
  13. Kanine

Kanine New to Mu-43

May 7, 2011
    If you re-read again, thats exactly what mine does. I just wanted it to show 1.7 all the time, and show an overexposed image if it was, rather than stopping down. As SLRs all shoot wide open, always, for autofocus, you would think mirrorless would too!