perhaps a disaster -- soaked my E-P2

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by pdh, Jul 14, 2010.

1. pdh

pdh Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 6, 2010
  2. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

I am so terribly sorry to read this. I will keep my fingers crossed for you that it dehumidifies and is 100%.

3. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Feel for you. Please keep us updated.

4. Gwendal

Gwendal Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 6, 2010
    If it's any help : I broke the LCD on my EP1 something like three weeks after receiving it. Finally sent it to the Olympus center in France to have it repaired, and discovered three things :
    - they' re competent, rather fast and very helpful;
    - they've got something like an "out-of-the-box" guarantee that says that if you have problems with your camera not long after buying it, it could be their fault (badly manufactured etc), so they will repair at no cost. Worked for me, even though I had told the Olympus guy on the phone that the LCD got broken in a collision ;
    - also remember that you might have some insurances you do not even know about - for instance, all the hi-tech stuff I buy with my Visa card is insured for one year after purchase even against such events as yours...

All or some of the above might be only applicable in some countries (I'm French), but is worth exploring... I feel for you, those EP1-less weeks were plain awful for me !

• Like Like x 4
  5. Mr Hahn

Mr Hahn Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 9, 2010
    SLC, Utah
    Nate
    I was a nuclear submarine electronics tech in the Navy for 10 years. I've recovered some very delicate equipment even after salt water exposure, which is about as bad as it can get. The good news is it sounds like your smart and pulled the battery before going "OH $%#!" and hitting the power button to see if it still works. However, I would still try to flood it with DI water BEFORE drying it, if that dry milk forms a short anywhere your screwed and you'll only get one chance to try to power it on before you find out.

If you can't recover it and Olympus can't help I wouldn't mind trying to look at it for you, just let me know. Also, don't try to really dig into it without a grounding strap on your wrist and an ESD mat under the camera. In case you don't know a little static zap from your finger tip to the guts of that camera could do way more damage than the milk spill.

-Nate

• Like Like x 4
  6. pdh

pdh Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 6, 2010
    Thanks Mr. Hahn ... I am not a technician of any sort but I do know the basic principles of dealing with this sort of thing ... so you're right, I didn't turn it on before pulling the battery ... however I'm disinclined to start doing much else at this point ... Olympus have replied to an email enquiry with a quote for repair ... which is magical of them as they haven't seen it yet! ... so I am asking them some more questions and if they stand by the quote a fixed price repair with full warranty, they can have it back to sort out (it was a lump of money but not such a lump as a new camera) ... if they can't do anything with it, I'll get them to send it back and I'll get my jewellers' screwdrivers and loupe out ...

• Like Like x 2
  7. BBW

Paul, glad to hear Olympus was so responsive. Your plan sounds like a good one and once you get the full lowdown on the details, let us know.

Fingers remaining crossed for your E-P2!

8. pdh

pdh Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 6, 2010
    This is what Olympus UK customer service have to say, which might be of interest to others in the UK who may have problems in the future with their E-P2 that can't be attended to under warranty.

As I say, this is a lump of money and I'm almost tempted to try the battery back in to see if I've been lucky ... on the other hand doing that might cause further irreparable harm ... I think I have to bite the bullet ... ugh

9. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Judging by Nate's advice above - I wouldn't chance the battery - just send it back to Olympus for repair and warranty... good luck!

Cheers

Brian

10. Bullfrog

Bullfrog Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

I hope it all works out well for you.

11. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Interesting policy Olympus have. For a major trauma like you've just had £173.31 (that's a very precise amount, wonder how it's calculated?) doesn't seem too bad - although I agree it's very unfortunate. On the other hand if it was only, say, a cracked screen that might seem a bit excessive.

I hope it works out OK for you in the end.

12. pdh

pdh Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 6, 2010
    exactly ... yes it is pretty weird ... I imagine someone could end up with virtually a new camera for their £173.31 ... or as you say, a new LCD screen could cost you the same ... on the other hand (if they are not using trained chimps to do the work) a main dealer for my car would charge about £60 an hour labour so I wouldn't be surprised if Olympus might not work on the same sort of figure ... so ... test, dismantle, test some more, replace some bits, reassemble, test again ... could easily be three hours ... I wonder if any Olympians watch this forum and would care to comment?

• Like Like x 2
  13. pdh

pdh Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 6, 2010
    Letter received from Olympus ... my E-P2 (new in March) is " ... beyond economic repair ..."

14. BBW

Oh, no! I am so very sorry to read this.:frown:

15. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
  16. Mojeska

Mojeska New to Mu-43

Jun 8, 2010
    Suggestion

If you haven't tried turning it on yet, you may want to consider placing the camera in an uncooked bowl of rice (completely covered) overnight. Rice works like a low grade silica, sapping the moisture out of electronics. You could probably place some in the battery compartment, but make sure the sensor is sealed so no rice dust gets in there. If you can find some silica packs, that might be another option. I've saved quite a few cell phones with this technique (dropped a blackberry storm in the toilet once, and this technique worked). Anyway, good luck.

17. pdh

pdh Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 6, 2010
    yeah, thanks, but it is dry and has been assessed by Olympus as beyond repair.
    The only decision I have to make now is whether to spend another £600 or so for a new body or just give up and sell the lenses and accessories I have left

18. BBW

I really feel for you. I'm sure you've got all sorts of ideas in your mind about what the best plan is. You might be able to find a very nice E-P2 body that is used, but in very good shape, or you might consider an E-PL1 body, gently used. Some cameras stores even sell used camera bodies...with a guarantee.

Then there's the upcoming big Photography show Photokina when new cameras will be released, which may help bring E-P2 body prices down, or offer you a different opportunity.

I'm sure you've already run through all of these scenarios, pdh. Hang in there and keep us in the loop.

19. pdh

pdh Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 6, 2010
    thanks BB ... oh dear ... that's all I need, a new Pen being released! It was hard enough buying the last one ...

20. pdh

pdh Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 6, 2010
    Well ... just to keep anyone who's interested up to date ... after some fantastic behind-the-scenes support from Brian Mosley & The UK Photo Safari Group, and some further discussions with Olympus UK, they decided to review whether the camera was beyond economic repair ... and having looked in my in-tray today, I'm back in the world of m4/3 ... many many thanks to Brian and to Olympus UK for making this possible ... https://www.mu-43.com/blogs/pdh/nopad-25-back-blaze-glory-2087/

• Like Like x 2