Pergear 35mm f1.2

gnarlydog australia

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Damiano Visocnik
I believe this lens gives me just the right amount of background blur for mid distance subjects to separate them and make them pop.
In many cases I could go away with the M.Zuiko 45mm f1.8 to achieve similar result but I would have to step back a bit, something no always possible. But there is something about a proper mechanical helicoid (not drive-by-wire) that just feels better in my hand.

50500610463_c1d415b5ab_h.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
pipeline view by gnarlydog, on Flickr

WhidbeyLVR

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Lyle
This lens came in a few days ago. I am still checking it out. This morning, I spent some time in our living room using available light and taking photos of some of our "accumulated stuff".* I just wanted a feel for the character of the lens rather than its technical qualtities. The aperture setting ranged from wide open to f4. You'll have to guess which is which, as I didn't write them down. :laugh1:

PA270001_01.jpg

PA270003_01.jpg

PA270004_01.jpg

PA270005_01.jpg

PA270007_01A.jpg

PA270008_01.jpg

PA270009_01.jpg

PA270010_01.jpg

PA270012_01.jpg

PA270011_01.jpg

I am pretty happy with what I am seeing so far, for a $100 pandemic toy. For portraiture and other close-up shots, where the shallow DoF is useful and sharpness is not the key characteristic, I think it shows promise!

* Signifigant Other calls them objets d'art.

Last edited:

frankmulder

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Thanks for the sample photos. :)

In the meantime, I have also found this review (tested on MFT):

gnarlydog australia

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Damiano Visocnik
Thanks for the sample photos. :)

In the meantime, I have also found this review (tested on MFT):
I think this review is fair and does address the problem of flare, which I have alleviated by mounting a screw-on deep hood ( I have that on all of my lenses, including M.Zuiko or Panasonic)
I also do wish the helicoid would have a longer throw than just 90 degrees, a 180 one would help with focusing at infinity

Here stopped down a bit (probably f4?)

50522240656_9b946d6360_h.jpg
approaching rain by gnarlydog, on Flickr

WhidbeyLVR

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Lyle
I caught my S.O. in a good -- or at least, tolerant -- mood this morning. She endured my fumbling with manual focus and limited pose directions, and just sat in the soft northern light from the dining room window while I took a few photos. Lightly edited from raw in DxO PL3. Sight crops and color/exposure mods.

PB250002_01.jpg

Aperture ~ f/5.6

PB250003_01.jpg

Aperture ~ f/2.0

Her main complaint? "I wasn't wearing any earrings!"

gnarlydog australia

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Damiano Visocnik
I still like the flare this lens produces, when asked for.
A structured flare with "rays" of light instead of just overall milkiness that I get from other vintage lenses

50640911042_387618c5d1_h.jpg
Triumph tank by gnarlydog, on Flickr

50626611656_e48ee2ec64_h.jpg
sunset on the Triple by gnarlydog, on Flickr

aw614

Mu-43 Regular
I bought this one and it finally came, worked for one day and the aperture blade seized up and no longer works, currently in talks with the vendor in China about doing an exchange, so I haven't gotten many shots out of it. Usually I've had reasonable luck with the cheap lenses, but this was my first time having one give me issues

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Eastern Denmark (annexed in 1658 by Sweden)
Real Name
Erik
I so wanted to go that route too: slap a focal reducer on a Takumar 50/1.4 but not sure if I can get one for M42 thread mount?
Then again the SLR lens is a bit more bulky and compact/light is paramount for me. I almost feel the Pergear is too bulky/heavy, being spoiled by the M.Zuiko 45/1.8
Isn't there a focal reducer for PK?
Then just put an M42 to PK adapter on the Tak! Voila! Good to go with one of the greatest lenses of all time! Although I feel that using a focal reducer on the Tak would screw up the optical recipe.

Disclaimer: I'm reading this thread in chronological order. Maybe the answer is posted already. Later in thread and after this point, where I currently am at.

gnarlydog australia

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Damiano Visocnik
Isn't there a focal reducer for PK?
Then just put an M42 to PK adapter on the Tak! Voila! Good to go with one of the greatest lenses of all time! Although I feel that using a focal reducer on the Tak would screw up the optical recipe.

Disclaimer: I'm reading this thread in chronological order. Maybe the answer is posted already. Later in thread and after this point, where I currently am at.
I am not aware of a focal reducer for M42 screw mount and never looked into a PK mount
Besides, the Tak is a bit more bulky than the Pergear and doesn't have a circular aperture for round bokeh balls in speckled highlights

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Erik
I am not aware of a focal reducer for M42 screw mount and never looked into a PK mount
Besides, the Tak is a bit more bulky than the Pergear and doesn't have a circular aperture for round bokeh balls in speckled highlights
Of course I meant the other way around!
M42 to PK to focal reducer!

And, as you know, no glass in the M42 to PK adapter. Bless you Pentax for the 45.46 mm focal flange!

Sorry. Getting very late (early) here in Ultima Thule...

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Erik
Been doing a bit of googling tonight on this taking a test image of a brick wall. Seems a common way of testing a lens, so I thought there must be a technique to doing it. seems not.
Now if you are going to test a lens and potentially return it if one side is not as sharp as the other, or using another test there must be a verifiable way way of guaranteeing your set up is correct.

How do others do this test ?
I was thinking of a really large carpenter's square, in combination with a couple of spirit levels and a good tripod.

That would help solving it, wouldn't it?

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Erik
Well I have not tried a brick wall test, but managed to take a few shots outside to test it before it was confiscated by the other half. My excuse for buying it was a Christmas present to me from the cats. Looks like I have to keep my end of the bargain and put it away for Christmas. I have not been forgiven for buying the EM1.3 yet, oh well.

Taken in my back yard E-P5 no stabilization. Did not remember were to set it up. SOOC no processing or cropping at all. About 15 feet away. Focused on the face, but looks like I may have been a bit out. Probably should have used magnify instead of peaking.

First one wide open
View attachment 853071

Second one below stopped down a stop or so
View attachment 853072

Third one below about F8, bit hard to tell exactly with no stops
View attachment 853073

You can see the gradual increase in DoF as I stopped down.
Is my copy a good, I will never know, but I will have fun using it [when I finally get it] wonder if it would have been better if I did not say it was a present from the cats :rolleyes:
Some people never learn

Edit
One thing this lens is a lot easier to use than my Fujian lenses
I'll have to show this to my cats!

ektar

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Don
Regarding PK or M42 focal reducers- When I did my research, the path I took was an EOS to M4/3 reducer, and then PK, M42, OM and Nikon F to EOS adapters. I have an SR (MD) to EOS adapter that incorporates an optical element to allow for infinity focus, but haven't used it much. The same need exists if you try to go from FD to EOS.

On a side note: When you attach the lens to the PK-EOS adapter, watch how it latches. Getting it off can induce some pretty creative profanity if you don't see where the catch is and how to release it.

Last edited:

gnarlydog australia

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Damiano Visocnik

Enoch

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Enoch Haven
My experience is that this lens is significantly, noticably sharper than the 7 Artisans 35mm f0.95. Obviously the depth of field is less and there is some apparent CA, but this is definitely a sharper lens wide open with the copies that I owned. And the closer mfd is helpful too.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Top Bottom