1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Perfectly Clear plugin

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Toddster, Nov 27, 2013.

1. Toddster

Toddster Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Florida
    Todd Cleaver
    Does anyone here use the Perfectly Clear plugin with LR? I downloaded the beta version of the standalone version and in general got good results but the interface was a little bit clumsy. The LR plugin is priced at $199 but is available for $99 on a Black Friday sale. I am tempted since I did like the results of the standalone but 100 bucks is still a lot of cash. If anyone is using the LR plugin I would love to hear your opinion. Also for anyone else that has advice for a lazy post processor feel free to chime in with opinions on a better choice.

2. RakSiam

RakSiam Mu-43 Regular

Oct 11, 2013
    I have used the PS plug in and gotten pretty good results. I used the PS plug in for free on a trial basis over the summer like you can most other programs. So why not give it a try before you decide?

I took the plunge and got the PS plug in since half price is as good a deal as I have seen.

I agree the beta version of the stand alone program is a little clumsy. But it is still the beta version after all.

• Like Like x 1
  3. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    The standalone program (which is still in beta) doesnt work with E-M5 or E-M1 files - or at least didnt when I tried it. I do like the idea of this program for people wishing for decent results who dont have the time or inclination to edit.

I have the Perfectly Clear plug in for Photoshop and use it a lot. Basically when I finish editing, I use the plug in on a separate layer to see if it improves the photo - a final step so to speak. However I am not sure I would recommend it for Lightroom. One of the things I like about using it in Photoshop is that I can reduce the opacity of the layer to get the result I want. In Lightroom it will be very much take it or leave it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. RakSiam

RakSiam Mu-43 Regular

Oct 11, 2013
    The stand alone product work on E-M5 raw files for me. But not E-M1

5. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    I would give DxO a try. Based on the camera/lens combination used for a given shot, it automatically corrects lens distortion, vignetting, CAs, etc.

After that there are a number of presets for various situations. I also find getting level horizons or straightening up rooms and buildings very easy.

Just a satisfied user ...

I think I'll try Perfectly Clear myself: saw it at Photokina 2012, when they told me they were working on a stand-alone version.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Toddster

Toddster Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Florida
    Todd Cleaver
    Thanks to everyone for the advice. It was the half price on the Perfectly Clear LR plugin that started this whole idea. Rob, I'm very glad you mentioned the LR opacity limitation, I hadn't thought of using Perfectly Clear and then adjusting the opacity, great idea. Now my frugality (read cheap) has really messed with my workflow. I purchased PaintShop Pro X6 Ultimate for $47. The Ultimate version includes Perfectly Clear. So now I'm thinking I start with LR for lens correction and to apply the Huelight plugin (I'm shooting a Panasonic G5). Then send anything I want to use Perfectly Clear on over to PSP, create a new layer, apply Perfectly Clear, adjust opacity and export out back to LR. I know that this workflow will cause me to use Perfectly Clear less than I would if it was a plugin in LR but I spent less than $50.:smile:

7. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    Well, I downloaded Perfectly Clear standalone, and compared it to my DxO.

With good photos, it was - erm - good. But with noisy high ISO shots, not even close. At normal levels it still left a lot of noise, and at high levels it smeared all the detail away. Pity.

I will still try the first prodiction version, though. And I think I want to test Photo Ninja ...

8. Not PS: I use PerfectlyClear on an iPhone and am quite happy with the results.