1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Perfecta- Maybe trifecta

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by fastcar888, Apr 11, 2011.

1. fastcar888

fastcar888 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 2, 2011
    Florida
    Yesterday I had an wonderful day mostly taking a photos (8 keepers) of my family, mostly my 17 year old nephew. I took the photos of with the 45mm Panny/Leica and was dazzled by how well it performed (to my liking). The results just astonished me. Afterwards, I used Aperture 3 to work on the the keepers. Although I shot in JPEG Fine it showed me what the lens can do. Aperture 3 does not have a RAW patch yet for the Olympus E PL2 (it is coming). Normally, I shoot in RAW. Nevertheless, JPEG Fine was superb and more can adequate for my requirements.

Today, in the early evening, my 20mm 1.7 Panny came in earlier than I expected it. As many of you know, it became a difficult lens to acquire of recent.

I went on my balcony and took some photos. Afterwards, I put them on the computer and worked on them for a few minutes. What a lens! It is also enormously impressive. No matter what the acclaim of this lens, IMO it is warranted. So sharp with outstanding resolution. So now I am looking at what I consider to be the Trifecta (in my opinion) of Micro Four Thirds- the ultra wide angle.

I guess my next decision will be which way to go with an ultra wide angle. I am leaning towards the Panny 7-14mm over the Olympus 9-18. That 2mm (X2) is significant to me.

First, thank you all for your opinions and reports. They have been enormously helpful and relevant to me. I can now travel to see my 10 month grandson with light, high-grade equipment, that meets my needs including movies. In addition, I can take everything on a trip in a small bag. That is big! My wife an I have two cruises planned in the next nine months, one to Alaska and a long one to South America. I dreaded the thought of carrying around a DSLR with numerous lenses, weight and bulk on those trips. That is history.

I realize that inside 90mm (45mmX2) is my optimal range as a photographer. All the comments and past posts (before I got here) have been quite helpful and are greatly appreciated.:smile:

• Like Like x 3
  2. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    Just a note: you can use the free Adobe DNG Converter to convert your RAW files to DNG, and Aperture 3 should be able to import them. This is what I am doing with my old version of Lightroom 2 that doesn't support my GH2. It's a bit of a pain, but worth it to be not constained to JPG.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Fastcar, I'm glad to hear that you were able to use mu-43.com as such a valuable resource to determine what m4/3 equipment would suit your needs. There is a great bunch of very helpful members here who are always very generous about sharing their knowledge and experience. Enjoy your cruises and be sure to bring back some images for us to see.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    Pictures! Pictures! Pictures!! :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    So, where are the pictures........?
    :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  6. fastcar888

fastcar888 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 2, 2011
    Florida
    My files are too big to download to the site. I used Large Fine. I am trying to figure out how to reduce them. Have a very busy day today, so it may take me a while. Need to contact Apple Aperture support.

7. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hi,

Get a Flickr account. Post them there, thn use the html code paste in on the site.
    We have a movie showing how.

In Aperture:

1. Go to the pull down menu under "Aperture"

2. Select the "presets" drill down

3. Select "Image Export"

4. Choose a nice size for upload up to 1024x1024

Export your images to a folder (then compress / zip them if you like)

Perfect uploads to your Mu-43 Gallery....

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Or you can use Apertures's automated link to Flickr to post the photos full size there but then link to a smaller version to post them here. There are MANY options!

-Ray

• Like Like x 2
  9. fastcar888

fastcar888 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 2, 2011
    Florida
    Photo of my Nephew with Panny Leica 45mm

Listened to you and opened a Flickr account. This is my first posted file EVER.
    The original is far sharper, but I am just happy to have this one posted. Thank all of you for the Flickr advise.

My nephew was looking at his computer, this is the light off the computer.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  10. Jimboh

Jimboh Mu-43 Regular

Sep 17, 2010
    Florida
    Vote for DNG

I think going to DNG immediately is the best policy. Older Nikons already have issues with their RAW files no longer being supported. By converting as-you-go, you avoid one HUGE headache perhaps a decade from now.

Adobe has positioned DNG to be the successor to TIF. While TIF has been around for a long time, there are so many ways to create a tiff (compression, color space, bits per pixel, etc, it's less a standard, more a suggestion. I have tiffs some editors can open and others cannot.

I no longer retain my Panny RAW files, only the DNG conversions. I can't tell the difference.

• Like Like x 1