1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Perfect Effects 8 Premium Free!

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by Cruzan80, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Hey Guys,

Just ran across this on a freebies board that I visit. OnOne software has Pefect Effects 8 free until January 28. Looks like it will integrate with both LR and Aperture. I haven't used this before, but figured it was worth a shot. Normally $99, licence is good indefinately (so no trial). Requires 8GB of RAM and a 64-bit operating system, Windows 7 or higher, or Mac OS X 10.7 or higher.

If anyone has any prior experience with this, please let us know. Otherwise, looks like the same kind of thing as Nic, Topaz, etc. Also has LR and Aperture presets under the "Free Software" tab.

http://www.ononesoftware.com/landing/pe8offer/

• Like Like x 17
  2. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Great catch - definitely gonna try this! :2thumbs:

3. DougVaughn

DougVaughn Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2013
    Franklin, TN
    Doug Vaughn
    OnOne is good software. I've had versions 6 and 7. It's purpose is very similar to Nik but the tools are different. Better in some ways. Not as good in others, but that's all very subjective.

I tried the beta of version 8 (full suite) but haven't made the upgrade investment yet. It's an improvement over previous versions and can now be a standalone photo editor. I received the email for the free version (one piece of the suite) and took advantage of it.

4. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    I had received the email and completely overlooked it -- thanks for bringing it to our attention. I'll give it a try, I tend to use Nik with LR so I'll compare the two. If I don't end up using it I can always give it to my sister since she's not the sort who will invest in image processing software...

5. shutterduster

shutterduster Mu-43 Regular

Feb 8, 2013
    Keremeos, BC. Canada
    Dave T
    Thanks for the heads up.
    Will download it today :thumbup:

6. chipbutty

chipbutty Mu-43 Veteran

Very impressive bit of software. I use the Nik Suite with Lightroom but I can see myself using this too. It's quite self contained with local adjustment brushes and gradients! I see they have some Webinars lined up.

This tutorial is well worth watching.

I just wish my aging iMac could cope with all this new software!

[video=youtube_share;z6BkvW2rpDU]http://youtu.be/z6BkvW2rpDU[/video]

7. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    This looks pretty awesome.

But I've been trying to find info...is Perfect Effects non-destructive in its editing?

8. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    Sort of. It will open a copy of your image if you want. It applies filters on layers. The filter on each layer can be changed wile you're working. The bottom layer is the original image. It can be saved with the layers but I'm not sure yet if they are rendered or not.

Fred

9. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Well, I meet all the requirements except RAM. If it doesn't work at all with 4 GB that $99 off can subsidize a RAM module ;)

10. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    I've been trying it out on an older MacBook with a Core2 Duo and 4 gb of ram. It's not a speed demon, but does the job.

Fred

• Like Like x 2
  11. chipbutty

chipbutty Mu-43 Veteran

Sounds like a similar spec to my iMac except I have 8gb RAM. Runs pretty well if I reduce the window size to cover around half the iMac's 24in screen.

I've played around with it for a few hours and I am very impressed. I reprocessed a few familiar photos. The masking within the layers is pretty powerful and the ability to mask with brushes, gradients and radial style filters all within the plugin is great. Then of course you have opacity sliders for each layer. Really powerful and intuitive to use.

12. Biggstr

Biggstr Mu-43 Regular

Mar 2, 2012
    Ashburn, VA
    I downloaded Perfect Effects 8 and played with the features for about 20 minutes. In the installation, an alert said I did not have enough memory in my video card ... although my computer is competent for most everything else. Then the computer froze ... not blue screen but a simple freeze. I rebooted and everything was at a crawl. I had to delete the program. Everything is now working normally.

13. RichardB

RichardB Snapshooter

Nov 19, 2012
    Maryland, US
    Richard
    It looks neat, but it requires a 64-bit operating system, so I can't use it yet.

14. rex87

rex87 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2011
    winnipeg, mb
    i just download mine and it works.Thanks for sharing.

15. madogvelkor

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    • Like Like x 2
  16. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Just downloaded it today. Still free and it works.

Thanks

17. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    • Like Like x 2
  18. madogvelkor

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    It looks like they've made it their free product now, replacing PE 4.

On a related note, they are offering $50 off for Nik and Topaz owners if you buy Perfect Photo Studio 8 Premium:
    http://www.ononesoftware.com/landing/nik-topaz/