1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Perfect custom grip and bumbers (E-M5) - SUGRU magic

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by TassieFig, Nov 5, 2014.

1. TassieFig

TassieFig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Tasmania, Australia
    I wanted a better grip but didn't like any of the 3rd party grips available. It was mainly the added unnecessary bulk without the nice extra feature from the HLD-6, which was too expensive. Off to google...

I found out about sugru recently and bought a pack. First I added a small grip and was very happy with it. I though about adding some small bumbers as I had noticed some small scrapes on the corners. Before I got to add them I just put some gaffer tape on. One day out shooting I had a brain fart while changing lens. I usually have a neck strap and so let go of my camera when I realised I was not using it that day...:eek: ....CLANK...*heart attack*...It landed on one of the taped corners and although it was scraped right through and added another little scrape on my camera, the tape certainly helped and the camera works as if nothing happened. Now I have added small sugru bumpers to the top, bottom and screen corners too. Unfortunately I was interrupted just when I had opened the pack so I didn't have much time to the job done which can be seen as the finish is not perfect. It was also very difficult (impossible) to hold the camera while working on it and not touch any of the other parts...I also added the last bit of sugru to the previous grip and it doesn't look as nice now.

BUT! It works perfect, feels GREAT, solid and grippy, the smooth corners more comfy that expected, no bulk, easy to do and much cheaper than any ready made you can buy. HIGHLY recommended. Sugru is super mouldable so you can get the grip that YOU want. :2thumbs:

All in all I think I used 3 small packs and I got them here

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GENUINE-...?pt=AU_Building_Materials&hash=item58b4bfdbbc

15100916744_bef0c110b0_c. Sugru grip and bumpers on E-M5 by Tassie Fig, on Flickr

15101487643_1105d58d2f_c. P1060718.jpg by Tassie Fig, on Flickr

15697144716_aa036e1d8c_c. Sugru grip and bumpers on E-M5 by Tassie Fig, on Flickr

15101490373_1e59893602_c. Sugru grip and bumpers on E-M5 by Tassie Fig, on Flickr

15534995539_e0e4613460_c. Sugru grip and bumpers on E-M5 by Tassie Fig, on Flickr

15722422122_d0eb3e79b4_c. Sugru grip and bumpers on E-M5 by Tassie Fig, on Flickr

15720876755_156e6fd543_c. Sugru grip and bumpers on E-M5 by Tassie Fig, on Flickr

• Like Like x 5
  2. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    I used sugru to make my own grip for E-PM2. Great stuff but hard to make it look nice.

3. bacil

bacil Mu-43 Regular

Nov 24, 2012
    Minnesota
    Ouch.

4. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    Wow, that looks like something Red Green would do... "If they don't find you handsome, at least they find you handy..."

5. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    it guess it's awesome to handle. .. but... :) I should have skipped that cross pattern and tried to make it look smoothier. thanks for sharing!

6. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    No offense, but I could never do that to my camera. I understand the actual grip, and i like it (surprisingly), but those bumpers don't look nice.
    I know there are people who prefer form/looks over function and vice versa. Nothing wrong with either. For me personally, i think it's 60%-40% in favor of form, could be my vanity but it is what it is.

I take care of my camera, not religiously but i do watch out and it has fallen over only once (thankfully, no issues). If it falls and scratches, so be it.

Different strokes for different folks, i guess.

7. TassieFig

Oct 28, 2013
    Tasmania, Australia
    Haha, lots of love around here lol. No, I guess it wouldn't win any beauty contests but to be honest it does look better in the flesh. The photos really highlight the add-ons.

It was very hard to get it to look nice since the sugru was half set when I got back to work with it. Especially the grip, that looked really nice to begin with, got the last bit of sugru added. The cross pattern does look crap but it also makes it grippier. I've thinking of giving it a go with a very fine sand paper to smooth it out a little bit. We'll see.

The bumpers don't look nice? Hm, maybe not. But they feel great. I didn't expect any improvement in the "feel" but they do feel goood!

For me it's 90%-10% in favor of function. Plus, I don't think it looks that bad.

Anyway, sugru is great. You can mould it into the way you want it. Be creative.

Keep the love flowing :wink:

• Like Like x 3
  8. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    Does the Sugru provide a grippy enough surface when smoothed over or do you recommend applying a texture to the surface to get a more secure grip?

9. TassieFig

Oct 28, 2013
    Tasmania, Australia
    I wouldn't want it real smooth like the bumpers. It would still be ok but texture is better imo. The cross pattern gives it a good grippy feel but I think sanding it would also give it a good texture, possibly better. My grip is similar in grippyness to the thumb support.

• Like Like x 1
  10. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    IMO, yes. Here's a picture of my grip and it feels good/grippy enough. I wouldn't call it "sticky" but it's not too slippery either.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  11. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    how secure is this? can it go loose if u press hard?

12. TassieFig

Oct 28, 2013
    Tasmania, Australia
    The grip: very secure. You can cut it off with a knife but not with a hard press. Depends on the shape too I guess but I tried with mine and it doesn't give.

The smaller pieces are probably easier to rip off if you want to but they don't feel insecure at all.

• Like Like x 1