1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

People in BELGIUM, please help!!

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by LowriderS10, Jul 26, 2014.

1. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Hello everyone,

My friend and I are going to Belgium at the end of this week, and she's put things off to the last minute...things like buying a camera.

We want to buy her a Canon S120, but here (in Korea), they're brutally expensive (nearly $600). So, I'm wondering if you could tell me how Belgian prices compare to American prices (this camera is $450 in the States, which she's more than happy to pay). Also, do you have any links to shops in Brussels (that's where we'll be landing, would be nice to get the camera right away)? Hopefully one where you can search products/prices?

So far I've only found one ( pch.be ), but they don't seem to list any of the S-series cameras.

Thank you!

2. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    So I'm reading on this, and most shops I'm finding (Kamera Express seems to be the best) are more expensive than the US.

HOWEVER....there's a VAT. Is the VAT included in the price they show on the website? Also, it looks like some VAT can be refunded at airports, etc...how does that work? Full refund of the sky-high 21%? Apparently only certain retailers participate...how do I know which ones?

Thank you!

3. jssaraiva

jssaraiva Mu-43 Regular

Jan 26, 2013
    Porto, Portugal
    José Saraiva
    Hi,

Not from Belgium, but here it's normal to buy on-line from within the EU, so can help on a few points:
    1) Kamera Express is well regarded, but is from the Netherlands. Their site shows a branch in Belgium, but in Antwerp;
    2) http://www.pch.be/ is the shop best known in Brussels (and Belgium), at least in my home country;
    3) Yes, prices in Europe are much more expensive that in the US.

• Like Like x 1
  4. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    the two major consumer electronic stores in Belgium I use are

Mediamarkt and FNAC

Both companies seem to have stores in central Brussels almost next door to each other - I haven't been to these actual stores as I don't live in Brussels, but both companies are a kind of european Best Buy selling everything from washing machines to batteries

http://www.mediamarkt.be/mcs/marketinfo/Media-Markt-Brussel-Nieuwstraat,57854,-17.html

https://www.google.be/maps/place/Fn...2!3m1!1s0x47c3c38180461353:0xefce7dd378f107b1

FNAC have the S120 on their web page (in french and dutch only) at 315 euros which translates to 420 dollars. This price will include the VAT/sales tax

http://www.fr.fnac.be/Compact-Canon...ECAppareil-photo-numérique-compact-bridgeARBO

mediamarkt have it at the same price

http://www.mediamarkt.be/mcs/productlist/Appareil-photo-compact,98952,509527.html?langId=-29

I have no idea about getting VAT refunds

cheers

K

• Like Like x 1
  5. lightmonkey

lightmonkey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 22, 2013
    keep the receipt
    bring the camera with you to airport

at the airport of your LAST EU DEPARTURE point*, go to customs, show them receipt and the product (&your passport!), ask for a stamp.

once stamped, go to any VAT refund kiosk for processing. they will take a small chunk of fee. [if the original merchant has VAT agreement, then you send them the stamped receipt and they refund you direct]

*example, if return route is Brussels -- Frankfurt -- Seoul, you would get the customs stamped at Frankfurt airport

6. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Thank you all very much, I really appreciate it!!! 315 Euros (I found it on Mediamarkt as well for 314) would be amazing...that would be $420 with VAT, or roughly $340 without VAT...considering it's $450 in the States and nearly $600 here, we'd be very, very happy with that!

Thanks so much for your detailed answer, it's extremely helpful! How do I find out if a retailer has a VAT agreement? (We're emailing the retailers as well, but I know some companies can take a little while to respond). Also, how do we get the return? Would we have to buy on a credit card and then they would put the money back on the card?

Thank you again! I hope you're all having a great weekend. :)

7. lightmonkey

lightmonkey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 22, 2013
    Ask the retailer. My last big purchase the retailer refund directly to purchasing credit card. Or you use the 3rd party services

• Like Like x 1
  8. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Thanks, I think for a whole host of reasons we'll purchase the camera on a credit card (I'd rather not carry the extra cash around)...if they just refund it right on the credit card, that'd be beautiful!