Pentax's second mirrorless around the corner

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by John M Flores, Feb 1, 2012.

1. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    First the Q, now this.

Compatible with K-mount lenses without the need for an adapter, giving Pentax a strong argument to the claim of "most complete mirrorless lens lineup"

You can't accuse Pentax of following the herd!
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Camera kinda looks ugly. They should of went for an old school Pentax K1000 look!
  3. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Sony is supposedly doing the same. One of the new NEXi coming out this year is supposed to be a native E and Alpha mount. It'll take either type of lens.
  4. John M Flores

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    We'll have to wait for reviews, but this camera may have just stolen my "saving for a GX1" lunch money!
  5. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Gotta say that the look of the camera is definitely not working for me.
  6. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Looks to me like a mix between a Lomo and a Lego toy camera.

Will probably appeal to some but definately does nothing for me!
  7. InlawBiker

InlawBiker Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    I dig it! Pentax has a good line-up of excellent prime lenses. Too many choices out there these days?
  8. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I like the look, but curious how big it is... would be great to see some side-by-side shots with m4/3 stuff.
  9. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Considering that it's a K-mount, you can tell the approximate size of the camera by looking at the diameter of the pancake lens and knowing the register distance of a K-mount DSLR. It's not a small camera, I can tell that much. :biggrin:

I'm interested in learning more about it, though. It has my curiosity, if nothing else. For what it's worth, I also think the Q is a unique and worthwhile product even if it's nothing I would buy.
  10. John M Flores

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    I'm guessing that it will be GH2-sized, a little smaller in some dimensions, a little bigger in others...
  11. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    So in theory, this being a mirrorless version, it should be smaller than a K-r or K-5 right? (I'm a Pentax n00b).

Don't see a built-in flash... or a VF actually.

I'm intrigued! :cool:
  12. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    With a K mount the body will be thicker but with the backwards compatibility it could be worth it. Especially if automatic metering and auto-focus work on older Pentax lenses.
  13. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Especially if they work well. It's using CDAF, not PDAF, which leads me to expect that it will be painfully slow with existing lenses.

14. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Of course they will, it is a Pentax. Best backwards compatibility of any brand (not including other-brand adapting of course!). If it is K mount and autofocus, it will work. Metering will work with any lens you can mount on it, including m42 screw mount lenses. So, even though you can't mount every lens from any brand like with m4/3, you still have quite a variety to choose from.

I'm on the fence with this one tbh, I like squared or svelte, initial impression is that this camera is neither sadly. Need to see more angles though!
  15. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    If you're starting from scratch with a new mount mirrorless can be smaller. There's no objective reason that it should be smaller. That's just a design decision.

It looks like there might be enough room for an evf in the vestigial prism hump. I'd expect one as an effort to attract Pentax slr users. I'm not interested in a camera without a finder. Preferably built in instead of an expensive accessory.

Of course I have no interest in changing systems now.

16. Blastop

Blastop Mu-43 Regular

Jun 20, 2011
    I could see this being interesting to people already invested in Pentax, maybe enough to keep them from buying into m43 or Nex, but beyond that i don't understand it at all. I think Pentax recently discontinued their smallest DSLR, so if I think of this as a replacement for that I can make a little sense of it. It still seems very strange, especially if they don't provide any kind of viewfinder.
  17. SteveNunez

SteveNunez Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    South Florida
    Steve Nunez
    Has a very cheap "plasticky" look to it- hope the final version is nicer looking.....they should have styled it like the Q only larger!
  18. gsciorio

gsciorio Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    I can appriciate Pentax being different, I really can...BUT all they had to do was talk to a few photographers and they would have got the information they needed to get on the right track. This camera is soooo strange looking and no EVF? Huh??
  19. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    It doesn't look all the strange to me at all. Also, why don't you think it has an EVF?
  20. gsciorio

gsciorio Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    No photo of an EVF at all in any of the product pics.